New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Doom of Daggerdale (3.5)

Would you allow a Revenant or Necropolitan? (Revenant is from the Monsters of Faeruhn book, not sure where Necropolitan is from, perhaps Libris Mortis?).
    Revenant would fit the base concept of my scrub, seeing as he is a follower of Assuran/ Hoar + Velsharoon.

Revenant is Cr +1, which fits the build, Neutral Aligned in it's writeup, No con, +4 Str/ +2 Cha, + some more things.

Pm sent to you, @spectralphoenix

Onto my base concept;
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Bane is dead, the Zhentarim mostly follow Cyric, who's only been a god for a few years, and the Shadovar are still on the plane of Shadow. For another, the idea of a character who is a member of the Zhentarim really just doesn't fit in with the adventure as written. An adventure, I hasten to add, which you requested by name.
    -Bane is irrelevant to my scrub.
    -Zhents following Cyric is good, as they were the ones who killed me in the first place.
    If you mean Cyric hasn't existed when I died, I can come up with an time travelling Cyricist who was killing Nobles he thought were making issues later in time for his god, so managed to go back in time and kill several before dissapearing from my timeline. I then am slowly raised by Assuran as a Revenant, to go after the killer (and this could be a recurring villain if we decide to go further after this adventure)

-Shadowvar have existed eons regardless of them being back in Faeruhn or not, I can easily write up something to that effect, in 1372 Tilverton was obliterated, but there could have been other initial encounters with the Sadovar that will lead up to this event in the background.

You said; 1367 DR, after the Time of Troubles but five years before the 3.0 FRCS, I'll keep that in mind.

I could even combine the two issues, making the killer a Shadovar Cyricist recently converted and working towards obliterating Tilverton for his masters, some of my family being players hwo were working against him, and he killed them, and then went after me because he didn't want to leave lose ends?, needs a bit more work to sound plausible, but its a good theme as a basis to work off of.

I love it when a plan comes together, lolz.
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-03-04 at 06:53 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

@Burning Spear just my two cents, and you don't need to take it, but the DM has said multiple times what is okay and what isn't, asking for a la +1 anything after they said no a few times now, throwing in time travel to force your character concept to work isn't exactly the best choice. Again just my opinion, but the more you try to force a square into a round hole the worse it normally becomes for everyone. Maybe just save that character idea for another game?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

@dantiesilva
    My ideas aren't round peg-square hole at all, I am having a blast coming up with a nice idea,
    Just annoyed the DM doesn't heed my original prerequisites/ preferences on the thread I started looking for a DM in the first place, Dm's aren't the only ones imo that can set parameters of a game, although that seems to be artificially enforced by the online community..
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

The original thread doesn't say anything about time-traveling undead Zhentarim skymages.

However, it doesn't matter. As you say, both players and DMs can set parameters for their games. I have explained the parameters for the game I am running. Furthermore, I am announcing that no further exceptions to the allowable sources will be made, for anyone. You can have your own parameters for the games you play in. If my game meets those parameters, I invite you to craft a submission within the bounds I have described. If my game doesn't meet those parameters, feel free to reopen your thread and look for a DM who will. My only suggestion is that you explain those parameters up front so potential DMs know what you're asking for.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The original thread doesn't say anything about time-traveling undead Zhentarim skymages.
    I wasn't the time traveller, your convoluting two things that arent part of each other
    The NPC in my background would have been the time traveller, not my scrub.
    Skymage could have been part of any oganisation, as I have been hinting, but hey ho, this game might not even go that far to get to a prestigeclass or two.
    And being an undead isn't a big issue, just something oddball you didn't expect I guess.

However, it doesn't matter. As you say, both players and DMs can set parameters for their games. I have explained the parameters for the game I am running.
    Sure.

Furthermore, I am announcing that no further exceptions to the allowable sources will be made, for anyone.
    Ok... are more things from UA/ SRD classed as "exceptions"? things like alternate class abilities and the racial paragon classes?

You can have your own parameters for the games you play in. If my game meets those parameters, I invite you to craft a submission within the bounds I have described.
    Sure, I will try, but it's hard, I was hoping to build a contradictionary neutral character that battled with his own existance as a nonliving being, whilst still clearly NOT being evil.

If my game doesn't meet those parameters, feel free to reopen your thread and look for a DM who will.
    It's what I thought I had done, which you seem to have ignored IMO, but no worries.

My only suggestion is that you explain those parameters up front so potential DMs know what you're asking for.
    Apparently you didn't clearly read my post opening my thread then methinks. See below.
    Although I did not specify which books, I did post some parameters, but you chose to cut significantly in the options I did post.
    No biggy.

Thanks for the reasonably quick replies so far anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Spear View Post
    anybody interested in hosting a 3.5,
    6th lvl party in Daggerdale around the
    Doom of Daggerdale's adv-timeline? :)
    Elephant in the room feats-rules,
    2 Flaws/ 2 Traits,
    40 point buy, Game?.
    I've edited my original Post/ Thread with a list of books to keep this issue
    from creeping up again after people start showing interest.
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-03-04 at 10:25 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Furthermore, I am announcing that no further exceptions to the allowable sources will be made, for anyone..
    Great, thanks for clarifying. I'll get to work on the concepts that require no exceptions.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

You know what, seeing 2 nature themed characters in the submission list has inspired me.

Spoiler: initial gnome warlock idea
    Show
    Posting interest as a Gnome 'Fey' Warlock.
    Call of the Beast, Frightful Blast, Hideous Blow, Curse of Despair, Fey Heritage, Skin, Power.

Gnome con bonus plus DR means they can 'pretend' to be a frontliner, and small size helps with to hit. Doesn't go outside of initial sources.

Unfortunately a Melee build raises questions. I'll workshop it to see if I can make it go all right. Might just go different invocations/etc. Initial Thoughts are Human Fighter 2 for feats then Warlock.

I think it'd be hilarious if we had a all nature theme party, but I'm not going to push others to go for it.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2024-03-05 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would like to go with a Duskblade. Kiltharael.

I took Improved Familiar to use a Worg should that be problematic in any way, I'll change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    You know what, seeing 2 nature themed characters in the submission list has inspired me.

Spoiler: initial gnome warlock idea
    Show
    Posting interest as a Gnome 'Fey' Warlock.
    Call of the Beast, Frightful Blast, Hideous Blow, Curse of Despair, Fey Heritage, Skin, Power.

Gnome con bonus plus DR means they can 'pretend' to be a frontliner, and small size helps with to hit. Doesn't go outside of initial sources.

Unfortunately a Melee build raises questions. I'll workshop it to see if I can make it go all right. Might just go different invocations/etc. Initial Thoughts are Human Fighter 2 for feats then Warlock.

I think it'd be hilarious if we had a all nature theme party, but I'm not going to push others to go for it.
    Ooh I'm going for a blasty warlock. Should we both be fey themed?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

GANZAYA~!

Spoiler: Background
    Show

It started with a joke -- and a rather tasteless one to boot.

Ganzaya! Mighty warrior (in training)! Ganzaya! Best friend to Borjigin, the eldest son of his chieftain. Ganzaya, loyal and strong! Ganzaya...

...who made a joke comparing Borjigin's grandmother to a sow in heat. In earshot of his chieftain. AND his chieftain's mother, the sow in question. This incident perhaps could have been brushed aside with the appropriate groveling/penance, if not for two things. 1. The Rashemi revere their women. And 2. A bad joke was not a one time thing for Ganzaya. Most of the time they just fell flat due to timing or having to explain his thought processes but sadly a few (like this time) they just weren't funny.

Borjigin's grandmother wanted Ganzaya's tongue for the insult. However, Borjigin managed to convince his father that perhaps an exile of ten years away from Rashemen would grant Ganzaya the strength and wisdom to finally curb his tiresome sense of humour...

"I see. I must make like the tree and leaf!"

...or maybe not.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Ganzaya
    M CG Human (Rashemi) Ranger 3/Barb 2/Ftr1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 51/51, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort 8, Ref 5, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 6/1
    2handed, Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (Fire) Greatsword+1 +11/+6 (2d6+7, 1d6(fire), 19-20/x2)
    Composite Longbow (40 arrows) +8/+3 (1d8+4, x3)
    Mithral Shirt +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 6

Role: Tank/melee DPS. Team Nature crew!

11. - Top - End - #41

I've got a half-baked, completely unoptimised face type build that might suit this.

Stanly Foole, a down on his luck entertainer turned adventurer

Dragon Shaman (Blue) 3/Beguiler X/Gnome Artificer Y

all complete X classes, or from magic of faerun

Backstory
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    From a line of gnome fools, bards, and jesters, once performing for dragons on the island of Lantan and their descendants, but in recent generations usually taverns, or more often than not, on the street, Stanly wandered into this region in the hope that somebody, anybody, would enjoy his ventriloquism act...
    But then somebody stole his puppet, and his horse got stolen due to being unlawfully parked in what seemed to be a public hitching post but was actually a reserved spot for some fancy pants offical person- in fact the person that he was trying to get work with, who wanted nothing to do with him when it turned out it was his horse.

Stanly is down on his luck, a bit miserable, and currently seeking any work that'll turn the eternal downturn of his entire line back into an upswing.

feats Planned
    Spoiler: Feats
    Show

1: Lightning Reflexes
    3: Skill Focus: Craft (Trapmaking)
    6: Prone Attack

logic- first two are just PRC requirements, getting them out of the way, following up on that, I really like the idea of doing a pratfall in combat, firing off an attack, then getting up like it wasn't anything. With a bluff check, one could make the case that it appears as if we 'accidentally' fire gnome artificer devices as we gain levels. Not that I expect to get downtime to craft em, but eh, if that's not appropriate for the kind of adventure this is I'd switch the feats to diplomacy-boosting stuff and go into combat trapsmith for quickly built booby traps

Overall plans for the character
    Spoiler: Overall plans for the character
    Show

1. Rags to riches type adventure, using adventuring and saving the world from whatever calamity happens in this adventure (I've skimmed it before, there's a disease I think? Their dragon shaman heal to half hp is probably gonna be useful there) to fix what he sees as his family's curse.
    2. Fire oversized Lantan magitech, because everyone loves it when the clown has a flamethrower
    3. Not be a bard despite being somewhat charisma focused because I've been playing so many full spell casters and near-spell casters, it's nice to have a guy who's just whatever gear he can craft up over time if things take that long and abilities and none of that spellcasting muck (Beguiler is just there for spell prereqs, on account for dragon shaman's ventriloquism probably not counting for Gnome Artificer)

Final query: what kind of adventure is it, is it preferable to have characters who do stuff snappily and improvise as things are fast moving or is there likely to be a lot of downtime between encounters?

If it's the former then yeah scrap everything in the above build but dragon shaman (that passive healing to half max hp is nice and at will ventriloquism is a handy tool to have) and then I'd be going towards combat trapsmith for full round action trapmaking

(also if the rest of the party is medium sized swap gnome for human)
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2024-03-05 at 04:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I’ve been thinking about this one, and looking for inspiration for a character journeying to Daggerdale.
    As multiple other people have mentioned my first concept (Everyone loves a good swifthunter!), I have a new idea.

Doria Brightblade, dwarven cleric of Haela Brightaxe.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

In progress…
    A minor member of the Brightblade clan that left the dale after the fall of Tethyamar, she’s willing to join an adventure to return to Dagger Falls and see the current state of the area.
    Her clan holds a grudge against the Morn family, but she hates the Black Network even more, and would like to see the end of their puppet rule of Daggerdale.

Question, I’m fine with the allowed sources, but I didn’t see anything that includes the FR pantheon? I’m assuming the gods are allowed?
    Also, can we use the Spell Compendium as the most updated source of spells, or only the versions in the Complete books?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Ok... are more things from UA/ SRD classed as "exceptions"? things like alternate class abilities and the racial paragon classes?
    Could I please get a reaction on this?
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Thundercracker, long time no see.

15. - Top - End - #45

Could I please get a reaction on this?
    No more exceptions means no more exceptions.

At this point, it is very clear that I don't meet your parameters as a DM and you don't meet my parameters as a player. I think it would be best if you refrained from further posting on this thread so that you can focus on your Looking for DM thread and this thread can focus on potential players for my game.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

@spectralphoenix: Would you allow Warlock's Hideous Blow to be used with 2 handed weapons (Take hand off to cast, then put hand on to strike). RAW I don't think it works, purely looking for combining with a longspear.

If not I have a idea figured out that works by putting in a few levels of fighter which feels awkward but can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Ooh I'm going for a blasty warlock. Should we both be fey themed?
    Works with me, and we can tie things together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

17. - Top - End - #47

@spectralphoenix: Would you allow Warlock's Hideous Blow to be used with 2 handed weapons (Take hand off to cast, then put hand on to strike). RAW I don't think it works, purely looking for combining with a longspear.
    I will allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goby View Post
    Question, I’m fine with the allowed sources, but I didn’t see anything that includes the FR pantheon? I’m assuming the gods are allowed?
    Also, can we use the Spell Compendium as the most updated source of spells, or only the versions in the Complete books?
    Yes, please use the FR gods.

SC version of a spell that was also printed in an allowed books is fine.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2024-03-06 at 01:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm brewing an unseen seer, assuming "Complete" includes complete Scoundrel for the "master spellthief" feat. if it doesn't I'll switch to Beguiler --> Wizard or a Rogue-->Wizard. I'll aim to make "guerrilla wizard" from Calimsham who has been making money as a mercenary in Cormyr for a while.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2885352

Still unsure about the spells and schools. But i'll have something finished by friday.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Nowhere near finished yet but I'm linking it here for now.

Hamza Dawnbright, the Lesser Aasimar Favoured Soul 6.

You mentioned that Forgotten Realms' variants of PHB races are allowed as long as they have no level adjustment and the Player's Guide to Faerun has the Lesser Aasimar so I hope that's okay. I'm also using an alternative class feature from PHB2 to replace the weapon feats Favoured Souls normally get with a temporary hit point buff for allies when I cast spells on them.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Hey Thundercracker, long time no see.
    Hello there.

How's things, all good I hope?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

If not I have a idea figured out that works by putting in a few levels of fighter which feels awkward but can work.

Works with me, and we can tie things together.
    Nice, though I'll probably be going for human.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

If chosen/survives to lvl 8, I'm planning on Ganzaya going into Horizon Walker from the DMG. Just to be up front.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Hello there.

How's things, all good I hope?
    Things are good, been slow on the servers though, no games ATM. How about you?

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Nowhere near finished yet but I'm linking it here for now.

Hamza Dawnbright, the Lesser Aasimar Favoured Soul 6.

You mentioned that Forgotten Realms' variants of PHB races are allowed as long as they have no level adjustment and the Player's Guide to Faerun has the Lesser Aasimar so I hope that's okay. I'm also using an alternative class feature from PHB2 to replace the weapon feats Favoured Souls normally get with a temporary hit point buff for allies when I cast spells on them.
    Lesser Aasimar is allowed. @Rax, that goes for you too if you still want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    I'm brewing an unseen seer, assuming "Complete" includes complete Scoundrel for the "master spellthief" feat. if it doesn't I'll switch to Beguiler --> Wizard or a Rogue-->Wizard. I'll aim to make "guerrilla wizard" from Calimsham who has been making money as a mercenary in Cormyr for a while.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2885352

Still unsure about the spells and schools. But i'll have something finished by friday.
    Complete Scoundrel is allowed.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Making a pure ranger with a stronger connection to nature trained by a druid.

EDIT: Here is Theo Kirman, Classic Archery Focused Ranger.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-03-07 at 09:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Lesser Aasimar is allowed. @Rax, that goes for you too if you still want to use it.
    Thanks, but right now it looks like a human hexblade/fighter for me.

Oddly, I seem to find myself with a spare feat slot (never thought I'd be saying that!). I've been considering taking Trickery Devotion from Complete Champion, but its usefulness is a bit contingent on how often it can be activated if I only take it once. The Benefit section begins with "Once per day as a standard action, you can create an exact duplicate of yourself...", but the last sentence of the paragraph says "This ability is usable up to a maximum of 1 minute per level each day."

I assumed at first that one can actually only use the feat once per day (as per the first sentence), but the wording "up to a maximum" has me wondering if it's possible to activate the feat multiple times per day, as long as the total time doesn't exceed 1 minute per level today. How do you interpret the feat?

An equally important question is whether you want to allow the feat in this game in the first place? There's quite a few bits to keep track of when it comes to how it works, and though I'm not planning any RAW-legal abuse, I understand that it could be quite difficult to adjudicate. If you'd prefer I stick with something simpler, I'm okay with that.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Thanks, but right now it looks like a human hexblade/fighter for me.

Oddly, I seem to find myself with a spare feat slot (never thought I'd be saying that!). I've been considering taking Trickery Devotion from Complete Champion, but its usefulness is a bit contingent on how often it can be activated if I only take it once. The Benefit section begins with "Once per day as a standard action, you can create an exact duplicate of yourself...", but the last sentence of the paragraph says "This ability is usable up to a maximum of 1 minute per level each day."

I assumed at first that one can actually only use the feat once per day (as per the first sentence), but the wording "up to a maximum" has me wondering if it's possible to activate the feat multiple times per day, as long as the total time doesn't exceed 1 minute per level today. How do you interpret the feat?

An equally important question is whether you want to allow the feat in this game in the first place? There's quite a few bits to keep track of when it comes to how it works, and though I'm not planning any RAW-legal abuse, I understand that it could be quite difficult to adjudicate. If you'd prefer I stick with something simpler, I'm okay with that.
    I think 'maximum' refers to the fact that you could get less time if it was destroyed. The Special sections both refer to uses per day, so I think you need to take it multiple times if you want it more than once per day.

Unseen servants disappear if they go beyond the spell's range, and the Trickery Devotion image has "all the same limitations" so I would say it disappears if it goes more than 30ft away from you. Unseen servants can only be destroyed by area attacks, but I would say that if someone tries to attack it in combat they waste their attack, but everyone who sees it knows it's an illusion thereafter.

If you are still interested with those caveats, I will allow it.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks, I'll give it some thought, though I might also go for something like Close-Quarters Fighting (simple and useful) or Obtain Familiar (also useful and can help with scouting).

Planning for a possible future of the game, there's a feat and a PrC that I'm interested in picking up for this character concept, but neither is in the presently approved sources. The feat is Netherese Battle Curse from Lost Empires of Faerun - since piling on the debuffs is the focus of this character, this feat fits well and will affect enemies who are otherwise immune to mind-affecting effects or conditions like sickened. The PrC is Dragon Devotee from Races of the Dragon, which is a nice 5-level class with a quick return on investment.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

I never understood the math of making Arrows in D&D so how much would it cost for 1 single Adamantine arrow? And how much would 1 cold iron cost? I have 969gp remaining and I want to spend some of it on special arrows that may be needed in the future but not immediately.

Updated Character Sheet

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Delmuth was never destined for anything great in his clan, he was not the strongest, or the fastest. He was simply average in most regards, even his loyalty was similar to that of many in his clan. What set him apart however was his family. Delmuth's family was one of the few that still kept close bonds with a few outsiders, that were not apart of their clan. And so when their friend's daughter Brie came seeking aid Delmuth was volunteered to help. Stating he was a capable hunter and as such he would be able to fit in more then likely with the people of this place and gather information with ease if he had people with him who had the gift of gab. Delmuth in their eyes could win over the hunters trust with his skills, allowing those with him to then do the talking and learn the information needed. Before leaving his clan he swore an oath to keep his tribe's location a secret, and to not return to his clan until the task was complete. As such much of the Journey to Daggerdale Delmuth has appeared sad and reserved.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    I never understood the math of making Arrows in D&D so how much would it cost for 1 single Adamantine arrow? And how much would 1 cold iron cost? I have 969gp remaining and I want to spend some of it on special arrows that may be needed in the future but not immediately.

Updated Character Sheet

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Delmuth was never destined for anything great in his clan, he was not the strongest, or the fastest. He was simply average in most regards, even his loyalty was similar to that of many in his clan. What set him apart however was his family. Delmuth's family was one of the few that still kept close bonds with a few outsiders, that were not apart of their clan. And so when their friend's daughter Brie came seeking aid Delmuth was volunteered to help. Stating he was a capable hunter and as such he would be able to fit in more then likely with the people of this place and gather information with ease if he had people with him who had the gift of gab. Delmuth in their eyes could win over the hunters trust with his skills, allowing those with him to then do the talking and learn the information needed. Before leaving his clan he swore an oath to keep his tribe's location a secret, and to not return to his clan until the task was complete. As such much of the Journey to Daggerdale Delmuth has appeared sad and reserved.
    Adamantine: 60gp
    Silver Arrow: 20gp
    Cold Iron: 1sp, +40gp if enchanted
    I don't require tracking ordinary ammunition.