New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fallout official trailer

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'm not sure how much we can/should extrapolate from New Vegas. As I recall, Mr. House had a moderately effective anti-missile system installed, which shot down a lot of the nukes headed for the area. That would have allowed for a lot more of the non-sheltered settlements to survive.
    While they came to a bad end, also recall the people from West Everett... dude built a shelter in his backyard, and his neighbors worked their way home from Connecticut.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Back when there were only 2 games, I remember pretty specifically coming to a lot of conclusions that have since been wrong or retconned.

One is that all surviving humans came from Vaults, something that's believable in the first two games because a lot of the Vaults were already open and abandoned, and because the war was described much worse back then, as in it scoured and poised the world. This of course changed later, as the settling evolved.

Another is a realization I had at one point that the brahmin is really the only thing that allowed life to continue on the surface at all. Somehow, cattle had evolved in such a way as to survive the aforementioned scouring/poisoning, and were one of the few forms of life still able to eat the vegetation that survived, as well as being prey for humans and other carnivores (deathclaws!) This of course changed later, as the settling evolved.

Anyway, I have a lot more such old (mis)conceptions (That of course changed later, as the settling evolved), but as was already said, this isn't the Game forum. And they are far, far away from what has become portrayed in the TV series.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Eh even in the original 2 games there were still other food sources. molerats. Giant roaches. Plants. Lizards.
    And assumedly there had to be a food chain for that to persist on.

While on the sillyness of the setting.
    It always seemed like it was pretty serious on the surface.
    And then just had a lot of small silly easter eggs hidden away at the seams.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Finished it last night. This morning a thought came to me.

The big bad is Vault Tec, a gigantic company that wants to have a monopoly and control everything.

And the show is shown on Amazon Prime........

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Finished it last night. This morning a thought came to me.

The big bad is Vault Tec, a gigantic company that wants to have a monopoly and control everything.

And the show is shown on Amazon Prime........
    Yeah, that's pretty much the case for The Boys as well.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much the case for The Boys as well.
    Written by Garth Ennis, whose beliefs (other than vitriolic disdain for superheroes) also reflected in The Boys.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished watching the series. Eh... It was good. It's clearly season one of a two season storyarc (at least), but it felt like Fallout, looked like Fallout, and did a good job of introducing and backfilling most of the bits it introduced. I think that people who've played the games will enjoy it, while those who have not will certainly be able to follow along with no difficulty (given that the main character is someone who is completely naive about the outside world, the audience can learn right along with her, so that worked well).

I had maybe one or two very very minor nitpicks with it, but other than that I enjoyed it.

Other comments along the way:

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    I can think of plenty of examples from my youth of bad movies made by a superfan and good movies made by someone who hated the original (Starship Troopers for example).
    That's a good example of a movie made by someone who hated/misunderstood the book, but I guess whether it's "good" really really depends on how we're using that word. It's a good movie only if you never once compare or contrast it to the book and are looking for absurdist over the top escapism. Got a bit of love/hate for that film actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The whole setting is cartoonishly stupid, that's kinda half the point. It's a post-apocalypse story filtered through the lens of 50's sci-fi, which was for the most part really dumb.
    Yup. The whole point is to take 50s style optimism about the future, assume "the future" actually played out like they thought in said era, and then put a dark and silly twist on everything. And when Fallout pulls that off is when its at its best IMO.

When considering whether something in Fallout "makes sense", you must put yourself in the mindset of the folks who thought putting decorative spikes on steering wheels without considering what might happen when you crash was a great idea. Now. Put those people in charge of building the Vaults. And yeah... profit.