New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default RIP Akira Toriyama

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-03-07 at 11:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Akira Toriyama passes away at age 68

You're not alone. This one will sit with me for longer than I care to imagine.

He shaped my childhood. My sense of wonder and fantasy. That anyone can be a hero, even people who once were terrible. He made me see a light inside myself that I didn't know could ever exist.

To quote a lyric. Oh, I've got something in my throat. I need to be alone while I suffer.

This one hurts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I ****ing hate death so ****ing much. RIP Akira and my condolences to his family.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon Ball is one of those odd works that I loved as a kid but never really appreciated until I was an adult. It's not a flawless work, but it's not nearly as shallow as a lot of people have made it out to be over the years. There's a lot of really good lessons to be learned from it, and many of the works inspired by it.

I think one of the big things I never appreciated was that all of the Z-Fighters and their extended companions are...actual friends. Like they hang out, have fun, do stuff together, and genuinely like each others' company. A lot of the manga that followed were never able to capture that aspect of the magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

people got the future trunks tattoos (the time ship) with the word HOPE for that is what that man, his characters, and the world he built embody.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Just saw this myself. I'm probably not as big a fan as many others, but I did watch a lot of Dragonball Z when I was younger, and some original Dragonball when I was really young, even if I remember only tiny bits and pieces of it now. I also became a big fan of Dragon Ball Z Abridged after Dragon Ball FighterZ (which is one of my personal favorite fighting games) came out. I'm a pretty big Dragon Quest fan too, the GBC remakes of 1-3 might have been my first RPGs (unsure between them and a couple of others I played around that same time period), and I've played the entire main series besides 10, and hold a higher opinion of it than a lot of other JRPGs. So yeah, this quite sucks to hear.

Rest in peace to a man who created so many things that brought so many joy.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-03-08 at 12:37 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

frown Re: RIP Akira Toriyama

This one hit really hard when I read it...

Apparently he passed away on March 1st, but the note was only published today so as to give his family and friends time to grieve. This is pretty common in Japan.

Toriyama's work has been such a strong influence in my life. Like many others,I grew up watching Dragon Ball and playing games like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest.

In all his interviews he also always seemed to be a very humble guy who legitimately cared for his fans. The world is made lesser by his departure.

Rest in peace, Toriyama-sensei. We don't have any dragon balls to bring you back, but even without them, you've already achieved immortality through your work.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2024-03-08 at 06:28 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: RIP Akira Toriyama

Dragon Quest was always my favorite JRPG series and his work in the series was astonishing. He will be missed. On the plus side, at least this means we'll have manga and options in the afterlife when we get there :(.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dragonball Z is what got me into anime, it was during the Ginyu Force battle that a friend of mine introduced me to the series. My opinion of the show varied over the years, but it was always clear that the later shows I watched would not exist without it. Dragonball Z Abridged made me appreciate the show in a whole new way.

But what really makes this hit hard is that OG Dragonball has finally become available on Crunchyroll in the UK. I've been binging on it since it came out, and I'm about 100 episodes in now. Like many, I had never seen Dragonball, and now that I'm watching it I highly recommend catching it if you can. The fight choreography outshines a lot of the fights in Z, and the storytelling is top notch. It can feel dated in places (especially anything to do with Roshi) but it's clear to me now how Dragonball became the juggernaut it is.

Toriyama doesn't need the Dragonballs for immortality. He's already achieved it. I am very sad to hear of his passing, and I now need to go sit down and watch Goku punch bald men in the face for the rest of the evening.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

My entry into DB and DBZ came in the early 2000s. I was working a 12 hour overnight shift, watching computer systems and had a lot of free time. Cartoon Network was showing a 2 hour, 4 episode block of DBZ every night between 10pm and 12am. (right before switching over for a four hour block of law and order on TNT)

Long drawn out fights, often bridging multiple episodes. I was entranced.

Eventually, I got a bootleg CD copy of the entire DB and DBZ saga via e-bay and, shocker, it actually worked, even though instead of nice menus, the episodes were big unsorted hours long files.

I mean, I was always an anime watcher, never read the manga until I was much older. but this guy deserves rich rewards.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Toriyama's works have touched so many lives. He shall be dearly missed.