New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default What are some good prestige classes for a rogue/fighter multi class?

As the title says, what, in you opinion, is a good prestige class for a rogue/multiclass?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are some good prestige classes for a rogue/fighter multi class?

That's a very open-ended question. What do you want this character to do?

Don't just pick a class and use that as your concept, just about any character concept can be better accomplished by using different classes than rogue and fighter. For example, you could get the same flavor going swordsage/warblade, or by making a spellthief/duskblade, but neither of those would be as bland on class features as a rogue/fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: What are some good prestige classes for a rogue/fighter multi class?

Apologies, but the character I was going for was a fighter/rogue to pair with his sister, a wizard/cleric mystic theurge. I wanted a prestige class that would fit both those classes and allow the character to synergize well with his sister.

Furthermore I don't want to use magic in his build. Sorry for not clarifying, as this is my first post to this forum and I've just recently revisited 3.5 to make these characters.
    Last edited by Trickster; 2024-03-22 at 05:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda like Thayan Slaver as a way to get underleveled spells on a melee character, and I'd argue rogue/fighter is a stronger path in there than straight rogue, given that you're going to care less about dealing heaps of sneak attack damage and more about having lots of attacks hit. Use fighter bonus feats to get the TWF feat tree up and running, or use TS's free spiked chain proficiency if you want to go the combat reflexes/improved trip route.

A human rogue 3 / fighter 4 gets three bonus feats (plus Skill Focus (Intimidate) if you go the zhentarim route), +6 BAB, and 2d6 sneak attack and walks right into TS. You can also grab the Armored Mage fighter ACF and cast your thayan slaver spells in light armor and while wielding a light shield, which makes the class significantly less frail than the 'unarmored rogue' thing it wants you to be doing.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Just saw the no magic thing, do you mean no casting or no magic at all? If supernatural abilities are fine, then I suggest Hellbreaker, from Fiendish Codex II.

Rogue 3 / Fighter 2 walks in super easily (fighter takes care of two out of three prerequisite feats, rogue covers the skills and sneak attack requirement), it's a solid PrC in its own right, and it works great with a caster buddy. You can use Mantle of Darkness to Hide in darkness that your caster creates with spells, you can use Telepathic Static to make certain buffs harder to pierce (for instance, if you get Invisibility cast on you, you make it hard for nearby foes to cast Divinations that would reveal your location), you can use Stowaway to travel along with the caster on teleportation spells, and you can even steal the supernatural and spell-like abilities of summoned creatures and use them for your own benefit!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
    Apologies, but the character I was going for was a fighter/rogue to pair with his sister, a wizard/cleric mystic theurge. I wanted a prestige class that would fit both those classes and allow the character to synergize well with his sister.

Furthermore I don't want to use magic in his build. Sorry for not clarifying, as this is my first post to this forum and I've just recently revisited 3.5 to make these characters.
    That doesn't exactly answer the question.

You don't want to use magic, but what about special martial arts moves? What about psionics, the raw power of your mind enhancing your physical strengths and shoring up your weaknesses?

What level are you starting at, and what level do you reasonably expect to reach? Do you have a particular race in mind? Are you allowed to use any variant rules, such as buying off a level-adjustment?

I still think going Swordsage/Warblade will be thematically identical yet exponentially better mechanically.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Avenging Executioner could be quite fitting for a rogue/Zhentarim fighter multiclass
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Is there anything specific about the campaign that could help us? Dungeoncrawling? High intrigue? Multi-planar shenanigans?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Nightsong Infiltrator is a full BAB rogue PrC with some teamwork-focused abilities, which seems like an okay fit for your character concept, but it's likely to feel underwhelming next to a cleric/wizard. Maybe if the caster specializes in summoning, Nightsong Infiltrator becomes alright for buffing the summons by granting them sneak attack and free move actions? Nightsong Enforcer grants full BAB and sneak attack and meshes perfectly in flavor.

Fighter 4 / Rogue 5 / Infiltrator 4 / Enforcer 7 isn't an awful build, it's just not on par with someone theurging tier 1 classes.

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Nightsong Infiltrator is a full BAB rogue PrC with some teamwork-focused abilities, which seems like an okay fit for your character concept, but it's likely to feel underwhelming next to a cleric/wizard.
    Some of the good things about being a Wizard/Cleric theurge in this context are:

1) you get access to most of the best buffs in the game

2) you have tons of spells per day so you can spare some for this and still have plenty left to do other things

@OP: With lots of buffs from your partner a Fighter/Rogue should be pretty effective. Your partner will be pretty fragile though so obviously they'll need you to protect them. Do you have a strategy for that? Are you going for an area control/tripper type build? Or are you doing the two-weapon-fighting-massive-sneak-attack thing on the basis that a dead enemy can't hurt anyone? Or...?
    Last edited by Biggus; 2024-03-23 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Typo. Again

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Avenging Executioner could be quite fitting for a rogue/Zhentarim fighter multiclass
    If you're going this direction, make sure to check out Terrifying Strike, which is normally a bit underwhelming but works great with Avenging Executioner's Bloody Blade. Move into a flanking position, get your target Shaken (no saving throw to resist) with the first attack, and all the subsequent ones will get Sudden Strike damage.

Rogue 3 / Zhentarim Thug Sneak Attack Fighter 3 gets a heap of sneak attack and free Skill Focus in Intimidate and can walk right into Avenging Executioner while eking out a very respectable number of skill points.

The Zhentarim fighter levels can be found in the Champions of Valor web enhancement, by the way. The Thug and Sneak Attack fighter variants are from unearthed arcana. Both are freely obtainable and official WotC content. Terrifying Strike is a feat from Drow of the Underdark.

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Okay, for context I'm helping my brother create a character and he is extremely new. I myself am playing the wizard/cleric to support him. The dynamic I was going for was that of Raistlin and Caramon from dragonlance. We both are pretty new to 3.5 in general, I've read the PHB and DM's guide but never played a campaign.

For context on the campaign? I don't know anything really, the DM was iffy on if he was gonna DM but if he does I'm kinda expecting dungeon crawling.

When I said no magic I meant no spells, spell-like abilities are good, special techniques are good, and so are psionics.

Race-wise I was thinking some sort of Elf

If that doesn't cover everything, let me know

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The easiest way to do a Fighter/Rogue is via a Sneak Attack Thug Fighter which provides full BAB and full Sneak Attack. However, Rogue 3/Fighter <n> allow you to pick up the penetrating strike ACF and sneak attack the nominally immune.
    Nightsong Enforcer is also a good idea as suggested by Inevitability. Altogether, you might go with:

Rogue(Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF) 4/Fighter(Hit&Run ACF) 3/Nightsong Enforcer <n> using as feats:

1. Wild Cohort // gives you a flanking buddy. Riding Dog is the obvious initial choice. The Mystic Theurge may want this as well since it would allow you round out to a party of 4.
    3. Craven // + character level to sneak attack
    Fighter 1: Improved Initiative //required for Nightsong Enforcer
    Fighter 2: Combat Reflexes //a good feat with a reach weapon and a Double Team prereq
    6. Darkstalker // required for sneaking around bad guys have odd senses.
    9. Double Team //Makes flanking much easier. Train your wild cohort to have the same feat.

If you can use flaws/racial bonus feat, there are many other good feats to pick up.

For highly optimized no-magic characters, you might look at team mundane for options. If you are willing to do _some_ magic, then I would strongly recommend Spell Thief which pairs with a Mystic Theurge quite well since it can effectively function as a strange second caster via borrowing spells helping the MT cast it's huge catalog of daily spells.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

If he’s new and asking specifically for non-caster suggestions, I’m going to guess that he doesn’t want to have multiple options to pick from every turn. In that case, a prestige class well-suited to standing still and full-attacking every turn is Revenant Blade.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Also, it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Devoted Defender from Sword and Fist is decently suited towards a rogue/fighter (fighter gives bulk, weapon focus, and BAB, rogue gives skills and reflex save boosts), and it's one of the best classes in the game if your goal is to protect your fellow party members. The class also benefits from being extremely front-loaded: level 1 lets you switch places to intercept attacks that target your charge, level 2 lets you attack anyone who attacks your charge, and level 3 lets you deflect attacks against your charge entirely. In a two-person party, it basically means that enemies won't be able to attack anyone but the heavy armor fighter at all.

After 3 levels you should probably leave the class: from that point on it only grants incidental bonuses that aren't worth what other classes can give you.

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Agreed on the Devoted Defender pick being good. If your brother is looking for non-magical vibe, A Scarlet Corsair (Stormwrack) might be fun - it involves feinting, which is a good way to start delving into the combat system, and it advances BaB, sneak attack, and gives 4+int from a decent skill list.

I personally think prepared casters might be a bit ovewheming for a first time player. Have you considered being a sorcerer instead of your current plan? There are prestige classes to help it feel a bit more divine later, if you're interested.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hmm, I may not do the caster idea, my backup plan was an ranger/rogue/Arcane Archer. I just thought the versatility of the mystic theurge would be interesting to have access to

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Here's my list of prestige classes for rogues and fighters that I think are interesting. Spellcasting classes are marked with an asterisk.

More rogueish:
    Assassin*
    Avenger*
    Cabinet Trickster
    Cancer Mage
    Chameleon*
    Charlatan
    Child of Khyber
    Disciple of Baalzebul
    Disciple of Mephistopheles
    Dragonmark Heir
    Dungeon Delver
    Ebonmar Infiltrator*
    Elocater*
    Evangelist
    Exemplar
    Eye of Xanathar
    Faceless One (D300)
    Fatemaker*
    Halfling Whistler*
    Hellbreaker
    Hoardstealer*
    Jaunter
    Jobber
    Life Eater
    Magic Filcher*
    Master of Masks
    Master of the South Wind*
    Mole
    Mountebank
    Oppressor
    Paragnostic Initiate
    Poisoner
    Psibond Agent
    Psionic Assassin*
    Sanctified One
    Scorpion Heritor
    Shade Hunter*
    Shadowbane Stalker*
    Skullclan Hunter
    Slayer of Domiel*
    Squire of Legend*
    Telflammar Shadowlord*
    Temple Raider*
    Trapsmith*
    Twisted Lord
    Umbral Disciple
    Unseen Seer*
    Urban Savant*
    Vigilant Sentinel of Aerenal
    Vigilante*
    Watch Detective

More fighterish:
    Beloved of Valarian*
    Black Blood Cultist
    Bloodstorm Blade
    Chameleon*
    Consecrated Harrier*
    Crusader
    Deep Thrall (D300)
    Deepstone Sentinel
    Divine Crusader*
    Dragon Disciple*
    Eternal Blade
    Fist of Raziel*
    Flame Steward (D283)*
    Hellreaver
    Horizon Walker
    Infused Warrior
    Ironsoul Forgemaster
    Jaunter
    Knight of Furyondy*
    Knight of the Raven*
    Knight of the Weave*
    Knight of Veluna*
    Master of Many Forms
    Master of Masks
    Ordained Champion*
    Paragnostic Initiate
    Primeval
    Ruby Knight Vindicator*
    Sanctified One
    Singh Rager
    Slayer*
    Soldier of Light*
    Suel Arcanamach*
    Swordsage
    Tainted Warrior
    Telflammar Shadowlord*
    Thrall of Demogorgon
    Thrall of Juiblex
    Thrall of Orcus
    Ur-Priest*
    War Mind*
    Warblade
    Warrior of Darkness
    Warrior Skald
    Warshaper
    Wildrunner

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I may not do the caster idea, my backup plan was an ranger/rogue/Arcane Archer. I just thought the versatility of the mystic theurge would be interesting to have access to
    The idea of having a versatile spellcaster in a small party makes good sense, but I wouldn't do it via Mystic Theurge because that slows your access to spells (and spell access matters) while locking up your freedom to take prestige classes. The easiest way to make a versatile spellcaster is to create an Archivist and spend gold at magic shops picking up divine scrolls from the Druid, various domain, or various prestige class lists. That covers an impressive range of spells while keeping access to fairly-critical healing/status removal for party health. Something like Archivist 3 / Church Inquisitor 2 / ?? <n> would allow you to use the Substitute Domain spell to access arcane L2- spells, and eventually arcane L5- spells via (Greater) Anyspell providing even more versatility.

There's a ladder of complexity-for-power after that which you may not want to climb.
    1. Continuing Church Inquisitor or Archivist after that is fine as a baseline.
    2. A stronger choice for <n> here is the infamous Dweomerkeeper which allows you to make some spells/day supernatural.
    3. Another choice is Divine Oracle 2/Sacred Exorcist <n> where Divine Oracle provides an extra domain (and can be entered for free via acquiring a feat at the Frog God's Fane) and Sacred Exorcist provides a Turn Undead pool useful for Persistent Spell.
    4. Even more potent is Divine Oracle 2/Hathran <n> which opens a path to caster level 40 spells that work inside Antimagic Fields via Initiate of Mystra.
    5. Combinations of the above over a 1-20 build.

I'd also recommend using Wild Cohort in a small party. Having more actions on your side is quite advantageous, particularly at low levels. If you find it not useful at higher levels, you can retrain the feat to something else useful as per the PHB2 rules.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

First, let us know what the rest of the party will be (if you can). It's good to synergize with your sister's character, but ideally, you should synergize with the entire party.

Second, I don't recommend a complex build for somebody who isn't quite well-versed in 3.5e mechanics.

Finally, for a combination of Rogue and a martial class, I recommend Rogue / Swashbuckler, using the Daring Outlaw feat to let levels in each class help the other one. That's actually closer to a match for a Mystic Theurge than any Prestige Class I know of. It is also much easier to learn to play than complex builds with Prestige Classes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Okay to lock in what I've done so far: the caster is gonna be a grey elf with the end class goal of Wizard 5/ Cleric 5/ Mystic Theurge 10. Is it optimal? No, I just really like the theme and flavor. The only party members are me (the caster) and my brother (something involving melee). I'm about to sit down with him tonight/tomorrow to make his character.

I'll probably take Jay's suggestion and suggest a simplistic build to my brother. I'll report what is picked in the meantime for no apparent reason.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Okay to lock in what I've done so far: the caster is gonna be a grey elf with the end class goal of Wizard 5/ Cleric 5/ Mystic Theurge 10. Is it optimal? No, I just really like the theme and flavor. The only party members are me (the caster) and my brother (something involving melee). I'm about to sit down with him tonight/tomorrow to make his character.

I'll probably take Jay's suggestion and suggest a simplistic build to my brother. I'll report what is picked in the meantime for no apparent reason.
    I agree with Jay that building a Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel) would be a good choice for your brother. For yourself, the fastest route without any sort of optimization would be Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 and then into Mystic Theurge. You could also take the Precocious Apprentice feat (Complete Arcane) and to enter as a Cleric 3 / Wizard 1, which would be a faster way to get there, but your DM might not approve, and you might feel a bit too much like just a cleric for a few levels. Your choice. I'd recommend your brother start his game as a Rogue for the skill points, and I'd recommend you start with a Cleric level for the HP. Given that you're going to be wearing light armor and staying out of melee anywhere, you'll probably find the Cloistered Cleric ACF (Unearthed Arcana, in the SRD) to be a superior choice, which'll also give you another reason to pick cleric first (more skill points).
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Welp, my brother seems to not want to build a character for this, and I'm not going to force him. So if do get lucky and end up in a solo game then I'm going to fall back on my plan B: Half-Elf Ranger. I'll make a new thread for it sometime today but apologies for not being able to use your all's great suggestions and ideas.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a lot of fun in a book-limited (mostly core, allowed a few things from the first four Completes) game with a Rogue/Martial class/Dervish build. Went for a guisarme reach trip/AoO/Power Attack build w/ bladed gauntlets for up close (slashing version of spiked gauntlets). Very mobile, good damage and crowd control. Dash around killing or tripping mooks and ending your turn away from them (unless you tripped them and want AoOs) so they have to approach you. Add Elusive Target feat for great enjoyment.

I actually prefer martial rogue to normal rogue (trade sneak attack for fighter feat progression). You get 2 more feats in 2 levels or 3 feats and Uncanny Dodge in 4 levels, with tons of skill points and only 1 lost BAB. If you want sneak attack for Craven and/or Staggering Strike, you could always do Thug Fighter for 1 level or dip Swordsage for 2 levels. As long as the 2nd level is at 8th HD or later, you can grab Assassin's stance for +2d6 SA. And be sure to pick up Cloak of Deception and Distracting Ember maneuvers to help get SA.