New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

Oh, Calder, you made the wizard angry and afraid. The most powerful member of the Order of the Stick now really wants you dead, and is smarter than you are.
    Now, how many HP of damage did Calder just take as an Allosaurus erupted in his mouth? That can't feel good.

And Serini has yet to enter combat. I have to believe she will avenge Sunny very soon.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    That said, V has been extremely effective with their dispels over the comic: are they specced into this with a feat or two?
    At the minimum, the bauble gives V a +1 to caster level checks (which dispel is). That alone probably puts V at +17 to the greater dispel check.

The DC is probably 26 or 27. 55% or 60% of success, and it doesn't need to overcome a dragon's spell resistance or silly good saves. Not a bad move even with no boost.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    It's a real blow to the boss's ego usually, and indicates that they are on the back foot.
    Yeah, the fight has had ups and downs and surprises for Calder, but this is the first moment when Calder thinks "I might actually lose this."
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Also, Calder got his breath weapon back and used it immediately - good tactics for a dragon, but he's probably not getting it back for a couple of rounds, and the party continues to score hits. I count 3 - two arrows, one stab from Belkar, plus whatever having an Allosaurus dislocate your jaw does. I wonder if Calder can still use his breath weapon after that, actually; his jaw may be flopping around and he's incapable of aiming.

Now, can Durkon switch over from swinging his mace to healing the injured for a round or two? There's some damaged teammates.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    Calder is having a rough day.
    good, but he needs to take more damage.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    The lady with the horned helmet is warming up her voice.
    I thought she stayed back in Firmament with Kudzu.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    They are not going to go much further.

I'm absolutely doubling down on my prediction : Calder will run away in a manner that would leave a giant hole in this place. Bloodfest will be able to go out but more importantly team evil will be able to go in - directly towards the prize without the need to go through Serini's traps.
    yeah the traps are just too good. there has to be a way to ruin them.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

That's some really precise aim from V. Much better than we've seen before.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    That's some really precise aim from V. Much better than we've seen before.
    Dimensional Anchor is a ray, and requires an attack roll. Dispel Magic targets a creature (or object or area) and doesn't require any roll.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #70

Love it!
    LGLRNK!
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

They are not going to go much further.
    Well. Except that the route they were just going through prior to being distracted by Sunny floating off and waking up Calder, is quite a bit too small for Bloodfeast. So unless there is a different route they can go to get to the gate, Bloodfeast is not going to be going with them. So pretty much he dies, he's left here (not likely), or he gets polymorphed again maybe?

I'm absolutely doubling down on my prediction : Calder will run away in a manner that would leave a giant hole in this place. Bloodfest will be able to go out but more importantly team evil will be able to go in - directly towards the prize without the need to go through Serini's traps.
    Run off somewhere and cause problems later? Yeah. That could happen.

I'm still not at all seeing how on earth "leave a giant hole" works here. This is an underground dungeon, with no physical connection to any other location in the Hollow (and required going through a magic portal to get here). The odds that there is a thin wall separating this dungeon and one that TE is in or will be entering soon is very very close to zero. It would defeat the entire purpose of having all those dungeons, and requiring that someone get all the marks from exploring all of them before the portal to the Final Dungeon appears, if one could enter the Final Dungeon just by battering down a single wall somewhere.

Red Dragons are not known for their burrowing capabilities. And that would required for this to work (and happen to burrow in the correct direction, and have the time to do this, all of which is also very very unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by Xlsfd View Post
    So, I presume that V has now permanently removed the Baleful Polymorph that Miron put on Bloodfeast back in Strip 926?
    Yes. Now that the spell has actually been dispelled, Bloodfeast is permananently back to his normal size/shape.

EDIT: Oh. And rules question averted by Rich, since Bloodfeast was not fully iinside Calder's stomach, so we can't really say that LoS/LoE was blocked (which dispell magic also needs).
    Last edited by gbaji; 2024-04-10 at 01:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Not your brightest move Caulder.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xlsfd View Post
    So, I presume that V has now permanently removed the Baleful Polymorph that Miron put on Bloodfeast back in Strip 926?
    That's how I understand that spell working.
    Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    There is no such thing as too much Bloodfeast. Unless you are trying to eat him.
    That needs to be a t-Shirt at Cafe Press for this coming Christmas, and maybe an ornament.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Now, can Durkon switch over from swinging his mace to healing the injured for a round or two? There's some damaged teammates.
    Durkon spent a lot of spells today already. Remember he cast the wind walk and likely a couple of sendings trying to contacts the paladins and\or Serini and he had that fight with Team Evil before.

Not to mention casting at least 2 spells before the Calder fight.

15. - Top - End - #75

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    yeah the traps are just too good. there has to be a way to ruin them.
    Exactly. That's why it seems so obvious that something will let them jump right in.

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Well. Except that the route they were just going through prior to being distracted by Sunny floating off and waking up Calder, is quite a bit too small for Bloodfeast.

So unless there is a different route they can go to get to the gate, Bloodfeast is not going to be going with them. So pretty much he dies, he's left here (not likely), or he gets polymorphed again maybe?
    Or as I said... A giant new opening will be formed shortly.

Run off somewhere and cause problems later? Yeah. That could happen.

I'm still not at all seeing how on earth "leave a giant hole" works here. This is an underground dungeon, with no physical connection to any other location in the Hollow (and required going through a magic portal to get here).
    You're making an assumption here that isn't based on any evidence we have.

All we know is that they teleported through the portal.
    But where did they teleport? You're assuming it's not connected but for all we know, it could be the exact same trick Serini used before with the secret door without the door part.

In other words they are just below monster hollow but there isn't any door to walk in unless a couple of behemoths (and possibly a beholder with a disintegration beam) opens one up.

The odds that there is a thin wall separating this dungeon and one that TE is in or will be entering soon is very very close to zero. It would defeat the entire purpose of having all those dungeons, and requiring that someone get all the marks from exploring all of them before the portal to the Final Dungeon appears, if one could enter the Final Dungeon just by battering down a single wall somewhere.
    I doubt it's thin, but the point stands. It is a trick we've seen her use before and it really doesn't cause any story problems here.

The dungeon is likely still located somewhere nearby and is just surrounded by walls that travel\divination\whatever as Team Evil noted before.

Also Team Evil doesn't have to be really nearby. They just need to be able to spot a newly formed giant hole and go look it up. Most likely the good team will have to run away before that happens.

Red Dragons are not known for their burrowing capabilities. And that would required for this to work (and happen to burrow in the correct direction, and have the time to do this, all of which is also very very unlikely).
    Not at all. This is a failure of imagination. There are plenty of things that can get this done without Calder actually burrowing out.

From somehow getting Sunny to use his unlimited disintegration effect to possibly tampering with the strings of creation (that we just happen to see a few strips ago) to maybe releasing some other monsters that are trapped here etc.

The original point stands: The odds of team evil walking through all of Serini's traps is 0. No way in heck is that happening. And since it's a given fact that their detect traps ability is so dreadful that they haven't noticed the swap-overs they aren't going to start paying attention to them now.

It's possible they'll have another reason how they bypass the traps, sure.
    But I think some after effect of Calder's battle seems quite likely.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    I think Calder bit off more than he can chew here.
    V said a mouthful.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

: YOU COULD HAVE DONE THAT THIS WHOLE TIME?!?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

PONK! is now the sound my inner voice makes when imagining something's jaw being suddenly dislocated.

19. - Top - End - #79

OldWizardGuy

And we still don't know what V's potion did!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Huh, do we think the new and improved Belkar will acknowledge that V just saved his little buddy?

21. - Top - End - #81

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    : YOU COULD HAVE DONE THAT THIS WHOLE TIME?!?
    Only when it was dramatic. Or funny.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    Well remembered.

What I'm thinking is that they were all trying to keep their powder dry for a final boss fight with Xykon and Redcloak. Now they are exhausted and wounded after dealing with an ancient red dragon. It's not looking good.
    The shortest estimation for Team Evil finding the Final Dungeon was two full days.

Even if several hours went by since that estimation, the OotS & Friends will have the time to rest, recover and prepare before Xykon reaches the portal.

So so long as no one dies, they should be fine.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice. We're used to V speaking with mouthfuls, but this time, he made someone else deal with it.
    That probably hurt his jaw, but Caulder is lucky he decided to try chewing instead of swallowing. As far as I know, Greater Dispel Magic would have worked on Bloodfeast even inside a dragon's stomach, right?

Now we have a permanently bulky dino to pin this guy down. I assume an Allossaurus isn't really a match against a red dragon statwise, but the bulk and ability to physically pin the sucker down is much appreciated either way.

Also good to see V still in the fight, as disoriented as they are. Someone should probably throw some healing that way though.
    Last edited by Psychronia; 2024-04-10 at 03:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Trying to eat something when you know it's one spell away from reverting to a huge dinosaur? My estimation of Calder as an endgame boss monster just plummeted.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMirtillo View Post
    "I prepared Explosive Food this morning."
    Bravo! (Insert congratulatory meme here) Just fantastic.

I hope Minrah didn't take too much of that Dragon breath. And V looks like s/he needs to slug another healing potion. Or wear a Wall of Force. Something...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    I have maintained that the logical, dramatic tragedy ending of V's character arc is to permanently lose all spellcasting powers while saving the world (perhaps by destroying the Crimson Mantle arrifact?). This would be the ultimate "death" of the main thing that made V, V. The kobold was getting more absurd and metaphorical with each passing suggestion, so I feel lile this tracks.

Of course, it could also be "As for the elf, the elf kills you" (maybe in the final climactic showdown, like what happened to Kraagor).
    Completely agree. (I think I even phrased it exactly the way you did in the 2nd paragraph, way back when discussing how the Oracle's prophecy was likely to be fulfilled.)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    ...Now I'm expecting Calder to go "you are all badly injured and your healers are out of relevant spells, while I can win this fight through sheer attrition if needed", only for the two nearly-full-ressources Paladin to show up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    OH MY GOD, THE ALLOSAURUS IS BACK IN THE RING! HE'S ON THE TOP ROPE WITH A STEEL CHAIR!

Calder's in real trouble now. Yes, it takes a LOT of damage to put down an Ancient(-ish) Red Dragon and Calder's done a lot of damage to the Order. But they've been steadily hitting him back and its finally piled up enough that he's starting to really show it. Bloodfeast being back in the fight and able to tank Calder for a couple more rounds is disastrously bad for him. The lady with the horned helmet is warming up her voice...
    "WAIT A MINUTE...? THAT'S O-CHUL'S MUSIC!!!"

"YOU'RE RIGHT, GENE! THE REFEREE IS BACK IN THE RING!!!"

Smite Evil! Smite Evil!

Sigh, now I'm going to be watching old WWF clips for awhile.

I still think we might get some interesting backstory from Calder, even as a throwaway quip while fleeing for his life.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

eek Re: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

How the hell is V still alive? Took a Polar Ray and then a greatwyrm's breath weapon ... damage exceeds HP by double.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dimensional Anchor is a ray, and requires an attack roll. Dispel Magic targets a creature (or object or area) and doesn't require any roll.
    Well that's no fun.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by AvangionQ View Post
    How the hell is V still alive? Took a Polar Ray and then a greatwyrm's breath weapon ... damage exceeds HP by double.
    What's V's HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.