New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Sick of Anime Arguments?

Recently, this forum has been dominated by the arguments between people who say that D&D is becoming to anime, and those that say it is either a good thing or that it isn't happening. One thread may be fine, but quite frankly, it has gotten ridiculous, with old threads being replaced by new ones and good threads being hijacked.

The perfect example? The dumb arguments thread. Somebody derided those who see D&D as becoming too anime, and from there, the rest of the thread devolved into an argument about D&D and Anime.

I for one am SICK of this phenomenon. I would like to ultimately get the topic banned for a period of time, similar to katana topics which were banned on WotC forums for a while some time ago. Only after a few months cooling off will we be able to approach this topic sensibly again.

Post here if you support this campaign.

Down with this sort of thing!
    (Careful Now)
    Last edited by Laurellien; 2007-12-21 at 05:54 PM.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sick of Anime Arguments?

Realize that this board, like most, are fairly cyclical in their posting. Someone posts a thread, which develops into a conversation, which leads to ideas that need to be discussed further, or inspirations. Rather than derail the original thread, people create another thread to discuss related ideas.

Eventually, someone will bring up the "Batman Wizard" idea again, and we'll have another flood of posts talking about how to Batman your wizard, how other classes can be Batmaned, the inevitable fighter v. wizard thread, etc.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, the length of those threads shows that people clearly enjoy them. Nobody forces you to read them, it's not that they're all over the forums.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a periodic argument that, just now, happens to have flared up in several threads independently. Indeed, part of my motivation in starting the "What does it mean" thread was to siphon away the recurring "anime is a medium, not a genre" kerfluffle from other threads in the hopes of keeping it from derailing peripherally related discussions. It doesn't seem to have entirely worked, unfortunately...

But, no, I don't think a ban is called for. I would invite a voluntary measure: anyone about to post something like "such-and-such is too anime!", stop, think, and substitute a synonym for what you're actually saying: "such-and-such is too high-powered! it has too fantastical a flavour! I don't like seeing 'fighting' classes exhibit supernatural abilities!" or whatever. For my own part, I'm going to stop picking apart those statements outside the thread above. Maybe that will help tidy things up...

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    You know, the length of those threads shows that people clearly enjoy them. Nobody forces you to read them, it's not that they're all over the forums.
    In fairness, it is annoying when multiple unrelated threads all devolve into the same tangential argument.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2007-12-21 at 06:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I for one don't care about the subject, and wish it would stop, or at least contain itself to one thread instead of taking over the board. I know my stance, but know better than to seriously try and argue it.

It's getting as bad as "X vs. Sauron" in the Media section.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It's like the Miko threads on the Comics board. Well, maybe not as bad. It's as bad as the alignment threads.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    In fairness, it is annoying when multiple unrelated threads all devolve into the same tangential argument.
    I wouldn't call them unrelated - maybe I'm not browsing the forums carefully enough, but all the topics where people are discussing DND and anime I've seen so far started as such, too. And there around 3 of them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Banning is likely overkill.

Ropleplaying systems may be predisposed towards a particular style of gaming, but the the important part is how the game is run. I once played in a high-tactics game of 2nd edition AD&D, and have heard of the Shadowrun gaming system being used to run Deadlands.

That said...I dislike anime. It's generally sexist, racist, and has both god-awful writing and crude animation. Having been persuaded to watch some Dragon Ball Z (this was when I was twelve, okay? I didn't know better!), I noticed an uncanny resemblance between "Little Sambo" and every black character on the screen.
    20 minutes. Out front. Pufferfish.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post
    That said...I dislike anime. It's generally sexist, racist, and has both god-awful writing and crude animation. Having been persuaded to watch some Dragon Ball Z (this was when I was twelve, okay? I didn't know better!), I noticed an uncanny resemblance between "Little Sambo" and every black character on the screen.
    I can understand people who dislike all anime because something in people with large eyes just gives them the creeps, but that... you're just making generalisations over there, based on some bad shows you were unlucky to see. I haven't watched a sexist, racist anime with god-awful writing and crude animation in ages.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Anime Vs. Sauron

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    Anime Vs. Sauron
    Ah, but what do either of them think of Miko?

ZOMG! the MitD is Anime!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post
    Ropleplaying systems may be predisposed towards a particular style of gaming, but the the important part is how the game is run. I once played in a high-tactics game of 2nd edition AD&D, and have heard of the Shadowrun gaming system being used to run Deadlands.
    Harlequin's Back... wow, the memories....
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Ah, but what do either of them think of Miko?

ZOMG! the MitD is Anime!
    WTF level 1 commoner is anime

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Yes. Yes I am sick of anime arguments. In fact, it'd be safe to say I'm heartily sick of anime threads in general.

This post not in fact add anything to the thread but I make use of every opportunity I can to tick off the rabid fankids
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-12-21 at 06:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

WTF level 1 commoner is anime
    Yes and so is the house cat that tore his head off.

True, but it's really annoying when you have to hunt for interesting threads among ones you don't want to read and it's sad when such threads become popular when actually interesting ones die.

This thread is like posting an "I'm sick of verses threads" thread on the media forum.

Maybe we just need a board policy where only one thread is allowed per topic and anyone who starts there own thread just to make their own arguements more prominant will have their thread merged.

The other problem with this thread is that you just made another anime arguement thread.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2007-12-21 at 07:01 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

WTF CW Samurai is anime!!!~
    Last edited by Yaki; 2007-12-21 at 07:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    The other problem with this thread is that you just made another anime arguement thread.
    No he hasn't.

...And now we segue into a Monty Python sketch...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey look! Another anime thread!

19. - Top - End - #19

No. He's made another argument OVER anime arguments thread. It's still funny, but in a more meta-humor style.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I find meta-humour highly amusing.

I also think that derailing this thread into a MP sketch will be better than derailing it into an anime discussion - because I've seen too little MP references on these forums, lately.

21. - Top - End - #21

I also think that derailing this thread into a MP sketch will be better than derailing it into an anime discussion - because I've seen too little MP references on these forums, lately.
    No it wouldn't! You're wrong and you're ugly too. And you can't even navigate a corridor.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds to me like someone needs to go upstairs.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I find meta-humour highly amusing.

i took several metahumor feats. as opposed to fetahumor feats. i have extended humor, empowered humor, and richard simmons. i'm glad 4th edition is getting rid of vancian humor, seriously, it makes no sense. you tell a joke and it just erases from your brain for a day? that's ridiculous. you should be able to use the same joke several times per encounter as long as you have lulz points. and let's not even bring that anime book of nine lols into this situation. please, it's completely unrealistic. asian anime cartoon people aren't allowed to be funny. or effective in combat. they're only allowed to make $600 +2 masterwork video game consoles. and cw samurai. i'm not even going to fix that burger. in a few levels i might pick up some levels of the initiate of the sevenfold rofl. seriously guys, rofls as immediate actions??? TWO AT ONCE?

WAT
    Last edited by Yaki; 2007-12-21 at 07:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

One of the threads got me thinking about how funny it would be to have an anime version of Tolkien's work. Frodo would always be ranting about how he'd never give up because everyone believes in him, Aragorn would shout all his attacks and be a moody loner, Gandalf would be a lecherous old man, Saruman would be a long, white haired pretty boy despite his age, Eowyn would be a tsundere, Gollum would constantly say his name whenever he did anything (wait, he does that already), all the elves would have those huge bat ears...

Good times. Good times.

Anime Vs. Sauron
    The wizard wins, because he is batman.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    One of the threads got me thinking about how funny it would be to have an anime version of Tolkien's work. Frodo would always be ranting about how he'd never give up because everyone believes in him, Aragorn would shout all his attacks and be a moody loner, Gandalf would be a lecherous old man, Saruman would be a long, white haired pretty boy despite his age, Eowyn would be a tsundere, Gollum would constantly say his name whenever he did anything (wait, he does that already), all the elves would have those huge bat ears...
    It's not the same plot, but conceptually that basically just sounds like every account I've heard of Slayers.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe we just need a board policy where only one thread is allowed per topic and anyone who starts there own thread just to make their own arguements more prominant will have their thread merged.
    Like, say, this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rules of Posting
    One Topic, One Thread
    There should be, in most cases, one active thread for a specific topic. Please check and see if there is already an active thread (one that has been posted on in the last six weeks and is no further back than page 3) discussing a topic before posting a new one.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Allow me to continue this idea.
    Sam would be a Battle Buttler who'd call refer to Frodo as "Frodo-sama", Merry and Pippin would have their roles reduces to Those Two Guys, Legolas and Gimli would start as very minor villains who'd join the group after being defeated - I suggest a rough and jerkish (but with a heart of gold!) brigand leader for Gimli and an even-more-feminine-than-already gentleman thief for Legolas. Episodes should have names like "Showdown! Siege at Helm's Deep!" or "Beware Frodo! Spider in the dark, traitor in the dark!". Here are some snippets of the dialogue (please forgive me, they are both Aragorn-centric):

Eowyn: Hey, Aragorn-kun...
    Aragorn: Huh?
    Eowyn: So... what are you gonna do after this all is over?
    Aragorn: Well, I got a girlfriend. I'll go back to her.
    Eowyn: ...!
    Aragorn: What?
    Eowyn: Aragorn... no baka! *punches him into stratosphere*

The Mouth of Sauron: That all you got? If that's it, you're going to die!
    Aragorn: *clenching his injured side, back against a rock* No... I still got... this. *leaves start to swirl around his body*
    Legolas: It cannot be! He's going to use the Dunedain Buster!
    Gimli: What?
    Legolas: The Dunedain Buster! It is a secret technique which draws its strength from purity of the user's heart! It fuels itself from his life force, so it is very dangerous... Aragorn, don't do that!
    Aragorn: By the powers of ages past, legacy bestowed by Valar themselves... Gather in my hand, rulers of sunken island...
    The Mouth of Sauron: Muahaha! ... What?!
    Aragorn: Shall return to rise again! Dunedain Buster! *shoots a huge shockwave from Anduril*
    The Mouth of Sauron: Gyaah! *annihilated by the blast*

Eyes bleeding yet?
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-21 at 09:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I wouldn't call them unrelated - maybe I'm not browsing the forums carefully enough, but all the topics where people are discussing DND and anime I've seen so far started as such, too. And there around 3 of them.
    Uh? I actually cited in my opening gambit the dumb arguments thread. That was supposed to be a thread containing dumb arguments that people have heard, and it descends into a Damned catfight between anime fanboys and rabid reactionary naysayers. Please, read the damn post before you make an incorrect comment. *cries in desperation*.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a good one

You sir, win.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Cubey: I'd pirate it. Needs more mecha, though.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-12-21 at 09:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I like how you got the meta-humour, but I actually stand by my point.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a good one

You sir, win.