New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sick of Anime Arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Uh? I actually cited in my opening gambit the dumb arguments thread. That was supposed to be a thread containing dumb arguments that people have heard, and it descends into a Damned catfight between anime fanboys and rabid reactionary naysayers. Please, read the damn post before you make an incorrect comment. *cries in desperation*.
    Awh, sounds like someone needs a hug.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The female elves would also have ridiculously over-sized baloon breasts if it were anime.

Anyhow, those that think DnD is too "anime" can simply stop playing if it bothers them that much. I could care less to be honest. The rest of us should just ignore these arguments and move on.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Cubey: I'd pirate it. Needs more mecha, though.
    That's what the Ents are for! Imagine: forty-foot tall robot trees (I imagine them looking something like green Gundams) fighting giant monsters with laser-swords and the power of love.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imagined traces of eastern culture, in *MY* western-style RPG?

better make a thread about it.

Come on people it's silly. Even if there was some eastern-influenced stuff in DnD, well then they're just using ideas from multiple sources.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #35

Not to mention a western product with Eastern approch would be a smash hit.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Mmmmm Megas XLR ftw.
    Last edited by horseboy; 2007-12-21 at 10:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

I'll accept that hug. I need it. This thread is turning into another battleground for fanboys and reactionaries. *sob*
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

8. - Top - End - #38

Rephrase: A serious, big budgeted western product with an adult plotline and an Eastern approach.

If someone nitpicks it, I'll call "The Wish-proof textbook of Phrases"TM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Rephrase: A serious, big budgeted western product with an adult plotline and an Eastern approach.

I'm not familiar with anyone even trying. Last Samurai was an American style movie and that's the closest example I can see. Other than that you get kids stuff and comedy.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #40

Note: Place "Find a way to create what was phrased in my previous post" on the To-Do list.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The Magnificent Seven, and other Westerns based on Kurosawa? Those put Eastern stories into a Western setting, although they have about as much to do with anime as The Last of the Mohicans has to do with Kim Possible, so I'm not sure if the comparison is valid.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #42

The Magnificent Seven is vaguely the idea. However, I'm thinking of something that takes the style of eastern productions, and uses it with western settings.

BTW, that analogy wins.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It doesn't quite, because I used a specific western cartoon and the whole genre of anime, but everyone got the idea of "very different style", I hope.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

The Magnificent Seven is vaguely the idea. However, I'm thinking of something that takes the style of eastern productions, and uses it with western settings.

BTW, that analogy wins.
    What, like Kill Bill or something?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    What, like Kill Bill or something?
    Ah there it is. That's a great movie heavy on the Eastern influences. It mixes really well with the spaghetti westerns too. Kind of like how the first 3 Star Wars were Samurai Westerns in space.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

As far as Eastern style, I'd say the Matrix movie(s) did exceptionally well. That was really the first high wire western action movie.

Recently, this forum has been dominated by the arguments between people who say that D&D is becoming to anime, and those that say it is either a good thing or that it isn't happening. One thread may be fine, but quite frankly, it has gotten ridiculous, with old threads being replaced by new ones and good threads being hijacked.

The perfect example? The dumb arguments thread. Somebody derided those who see D&D as becoming too anime, and from there, the rest of the thread devolved into an argument about D&D and Anime.

I for one am SICK of this phenomenon. I would like to ultimately get the topic banned for a period of time, similar to katana topics which were banned on WotC forums for a while some time ago. Only after a few months cooling off will we be able to approach this topic sensibly again.

Post here if you support this campaign.

Down with this sort of thing!
    (Careful Now)
    If the boards would loosen up on 'derailing' threads, then this sort of stuff would be better contained to a few threads, instead of requiring a thread to discuss every nuance of what ever the rant of the week is.
    Last edited by Cuddly; 2007-12-21 at 10:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

What the hell does "Too Anime" mean? I don't really speak idiot so I don't understand.
    Thats my personnel problem with anime is that is like a blackhole, sucking things into until it is lost. Really I find some of the worst obssessers to be the ones that you wouldn't expect(anime, and Harry Potter). I do not see what's so great, most of the time its just Cliché. Most of the time it is overall the same, Monologues, Ninjas, Katanas, High tech stuff. I can see why at first but after a while its jusr "ehh..."
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lair, Done By Banjo1985

Need to know something about Star Wars? PM me, I know more the Old Ben himself.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

What? Filler
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Laurellien, may I just say I support your campaign for prevention rather than retribution.

And I love your reference to Father Ted

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gohan, this argument is ****ing inert!
    Last edited by VeisuItaTyhjyys; 2007-12-21 at 11:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

At first I thought this was satire, then I noticed it wasn't and felt sad.
    Next time do this as a clever satire.

22. - Top - End - #52

Wait, it wasn't?

I still don't regret my hipster-reference joke post. Not one bit.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Shraik View Post
    What the hell does "Too Anime" mean? I don't really speak idiot so I don't understand.
    Thats my personnel problem with anime is that is like a blackhole, sucking things into until it is lost. Really I find some of the worst obssessers to be the ones that you wouldn't expect(anime, and Harry Potter). I do not see what's so great, most of the time its just Cliché. Most of the time it is overall the same, Monologues, Ninjas, Katanas, High tech stuff. I can see why at first but after a while its jusr "ehh..."
    You just don't know many animes do you?
    [snap]
    Please people, for the sake of Odin and Zeus, Anime is NOT merely DBZ, Naruto and Bleach. It's like saying all western animated series are equal after seeing a couple stereotyped Disney movies. Just because these are the ones that got dubbed, it doesn't mean they are the only ones.
    [/snap]

Sorry, I just had to this go.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Off topic, but in a honest attempt to fix a common misperception...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post
    That said...I dislike anime. It's generally sexist, racist, and has both god-awful writing and crude animation. Having been persuaded to watch some Dragon Ball Z (this was when I was twelve, okay? I didn't know better!), I noticed an uncanny resemblance between "Little Sambo" and every black character on the screen.
    DBZ (and many others, Bleach, Naruto, etc.) aren't really shows- they're just attempts to keep very young children glued to the TV at the least possible production cost. I liken them to the early Marvel Spiderman cartoons- the ones that were just still frames for minutes at a time with narration and voiceovers. Sure they were drawn, but were they really shows?

Oh and re racism, they really don't care about "fair" portrayal of other races much over there - there's a real reason for it, but that's for another time. Or not lol.

However, it will not take long to show you the true spirit of the medium with a simple Netflix rental of Planetes, Last Exile, Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi (when it's available) or Rurouni Kenshin movies (1,2,4, skip 3)instead of the low class (s)exploitation time traps that litter the wasteland. All are high quality, clean, "serious" works (although you do need to be prepared for some PG to R level tragedy and violence, especially in RK. Romeo and Juliet has NOTHING on Japanese love story tragedies.)

But I completely recommend that you learn to do subtitles, as it is horrible what the dub-writers and voice actors do to both the characters and the stories.

Sorry for the digression, but I found the animes above much better than anything else I see on American TV today, so your comment prompted me to try to undo some of the damage from the pseudo-shows you were exposed to.

/offtopic off

Edit: Dang, ninja'd on the Naruto and Bleach thing lol. GJ.
    Last edited by GrayMatter; 2007-12-22 at 12:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

To be fair, sexism (or at least objectification of women) is rampant even in good shows (anything by Kyoto Animation or Gainax springs to mind immediately), but really, stop judging everything from Japan based on Dragon Ball freaking Z.

Now, if you say "D&D is becoming too anime" and mean "D&D is becoming too Dragon Ball Z", then that's actually something like a reasonable argument, though it would still help to be precise, because not every Japanese cartoon is exactly like DBZ, just like not every American cartoon is exactly like Looney Tunes.

EDIT: Goddammit, why am I still involving myself in this. I need help.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-12-22 at 12:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    To be fair, sexism (or at least objectification of women) is rampant even in good shows (anything by Kyoto Animation or Gainax springs to mind immediately), but really, stop judging everything from Japan based on Dragon Ball freaking Z.
    Of course, this is pretty much true of all the entertainment industry. I mean, really, try and find 10 minutes on Mtv that doesn't objectify women.

27. - Top - End - #57

D&D isn't anime enough yet.

I have nothing else to add.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look.

28. - Top - End - #58

I like how you got the meta-humour, but I actually stand by my point.
    Oh. We're WAY past metahumor considering we're now making fun of the metahumor. We're on a whole new level. It's like metametahumor or megametahumor or maybe it's like a double negative and just humor.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates
    Oh. We're WAY past metahumor considering we're now making fun of the metahumor. We're on a whole new level. It's like metametahumor or megametahumor or maybe it's like a double negative and just humor.
    And the more it's brought up, the worse it gets...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post
    don't be ridiculous