New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [Avatar d20 Project] Setting Main Hub

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcire View Post
    I fixed the bonuses for Earth to have -2 Dex instead of Wis. Also changed the description of why it's plausible.
    Or you could have earthbenders use a different skill for bending...

The Swashbuckling Jellyfish of Elan's Chaotic Conscience Fanclub

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    Or you could have earthbenders use a different skill for bending...
    Except the system is written with all bending being Wisdom based. While I do prefer having a -2 Wis for being stubborn, -2 Dex for being rigid and unyielding makes just as much sense. Also, it puts Earth and Air into a more perfect alignment as opposites.(Did that sentence make sense?) Just like I had with Water and Fire.

3. - Top - End - #213

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcire View Post
    Except the system is written with all bending being Wisdom based. While I do prefer having a -2 Wis for being stubborn, -2 Dex for being rigid and unyielding makes just as much sense. Also, it puts Earth and Air into a more perfect alignment as opposites.(Did that sentence make sense?) Just like I had with Water and Fire.
    Good point, and yes that does make sense

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I seem to remember Sokka screwing up the cold room to let Zuko use fire.
    Zuko could still use it in arctic temperatures in Season 1, you'll recall, when the ability to use the technique is first mentioned by Iroh.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but thats just arctic temperatures. Hardly the cold room, not really a big deal, judging by how temperate the arctic region was by the clothing the water benders had.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #216

Yeah, but thats just arctic temperatures. Hardly the cold room, not really a big deal, judging by how temperate the arctic region was by the clothing the water benders had.

Top-side is a LOT colder than their igloo city. And note that the waterbenders go around in furcoats, trading it for the light cloth for traveling.

I mean, they're at the North Pole. How much colder does it have to be?
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-09-19 at 06:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

The north pole does seem to be pretty cold, but the south pole not so much, and while they have fur coats, they don't cover the face or make a point of staying inside. Both of them seem to be significantly warmer than our north and south poles.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #218

SwashbucklerGuy

The north pole does seem to be pretty cold, but the south pole not so much, and while they have fur coats, they don't cover the face or make a point of staying inside. Both of them seem to be significantly warmer than our north and south poles.
    Either that or Water Tribe people from the north and south pole got used to the cold...

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The water tribes seem so to have ridiculous cold tolerance. Think about it, they live in a city of ice; and don't seem to particularly mind being wet or covered in ice half time in what should be sub-zero temperatures.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Either that or Water Tribe people from the north and south pole got used to the cold...
    Which is why I was annoyed by the fact that Firebenders get cold resistance but not Waterbenders.

Another thing, with such a cold resistance, most Waterbender freeze capabilities are useless(or damageless anyway) against a Firebender. That means that only two cold based attacks have any effect on a Firebender, Ice Shards(ranged) and Blizzard.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added the northeast coast of the Earth Kingdom. Judging by the lack of response to my post on the other thread, I'm guessing sandbending isn't a priority just now. Well, I still think it's a neat idea. Maybe I'll work up some forms based on it.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.

Samurai, Anachronisms, and Swords
    Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Jomei, Wandering Miner (Now an avatar thanks to Nevitan)

Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfiction:
    Scorched Earth

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So I need a little help understanding the seeds here. First off are there restrictions by level that determine whether you can use the seed or is it based solely on the skill check? Secondly, do you obtain everything under the seed (like the itilizied things) or do you have to learn those at latter levels? I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but my friends want me to DM an avatar game and I really don't want to read 8 pages of text. Call me lazy if you want.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

No level restrictions. Technically you could take the Rift seed at 1st level, but you wouldn't have the skill check to use it. It is based entirely on the skill check. And yes, you gain every ability of the seed immediately. The italic abilities represent the various ways in which the seed is used by itself. And it's no problem to ask. The project site is up to date, though, and has all the information you need arranged in neat little sections.

Edit: I've taken the previous poster's (sorry, but I'm bad with names) ideas for subraces, and expanded them a little more. However, they're far from complete. If nothing else, it would make an interesting variant rule set. So, any help at finishing them would be appreciated.

Earth Kingdom
    Spoiler
    Show
    -+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity. The people of the Earth Kingdom are persistant and enduring, but immovable as the stones most of the time.
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, Earth Kingdom citizens have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    -Earth Kingdom base land speed is 30 ft.
    Special abilities
    +4 racial bonus on saving throws against
    Attack and damage
    +2 racial bonus on Knowledge(geography) checks
    +4 racial bonus on all Survival checks made underground.
    +4 racial bonus on all Listen checks.
    +2 racial bonus on all Craft, Appraise, and Profession checks involving some form of earth or stone.
    Favored Class: Earthbender A multiclass Earth Kingdom citizen's earthbender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Fire Nation
    Spoiler
    Show
    -+2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. The people of the Fire Nation are educated, and technologically advanced, but are prone to a short temper and arrogance.
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, Earth Kingdom citizens have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    -Fire Nation base land speed is 30 ft.
    Special abilities
    +4 racial bonus on all saving throws for intense heat.
    attack and damage
    +2 racial bonus to all Knowledge(Fire Nation nobility and royalty) checks
    +4 racial bonus on all Survival checks made in jungle and tropical environments.
    +4 racial bonus on all Spot Checks
    +2 racial bonus to all checks involving complex machinery.
    Favored Class: Firebender. A multiclass Fire Nation citizen's firebender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Air Nomads
    Spoiler
    Show
    +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution The Air Nomads are agile and light on their feet but more delicate than the other nations.
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, Air Nomads have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    -Air Nomad base land speed is 30 ft.
    Altitude Adaptation: Living on the highest mountaintops for the most part, the Air Nomads have become immune to the affects of the thin air. They need not make any saving throws to avoid the affects of altitude sickness.
    +4 racial bonus on all saving throws due to strong winds
    Favored Enemy: None. The Air Nomads seek to harm no one, so they gain a +2 Dodge bonus to AC against a single attacker.
    +2 racial bonus on Knowledge(religion) checks.
    +2 racial bonus to all balance and tumble checks. The Air Nomad temples inspire a heightened sense of mobility.
    +4 racial bonus on Survival checks made over 6,000 feet above sea level.
    +4 racial bonus on Jump checks.
    Favored Class: Airbender. A multiclass Air Nomad's airbender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Water Tribes
    Spoiler
    Show
    +2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence. The Water Tribes have a deep sense of community and love that gives them a pleasant manner, but, insulated from most of the outside world, they have less use for study.
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, Water Tribesmen have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Icewalking: The Water Tribesmen are sure-footed on ice and snow, and can ignore normal penalties for moving at their speed over such terrain. When running they take half penalties.
    +4 racial bonus on saving throws against the effects of cold.
    Favored Enemy: Animals. The Water Tribes depend on hunting a great deal to survive. They recieve a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls against animals of any kind, as well as a +1 Dodge bonus to their AC.
    +4 racial bonus on Swim checks.
    +4 racial bonus on Survival checks in arctic environments.
    +2 racial bonus on Knowledge(nature) checks
    +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal checks
    Favored Class: Waterbender. A multiclass Water Tribesman's waterbender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
    Last edited by Zak Crimsonleaf; 2008-10-01 at 09:03 PM.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This may have already been brought up as well but I may have a good idea here. In accordance with the above racial stats, me and my friend have actually come up with a good way to diversify the bending styles.
    Here are the discriptions of the different fighting styles used for the bending styles.

Tai Chi focuses on alignment, body structure, breath, and visualization. This technique is the foundation of "Waterbending" in the series.

# Hung Gar was chosen for its firmly rooted stances and powerful strikes to represent the solid nature of earth. This martial art is the basis of "Earthbending" in the series.[20]

* Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis has distinguishing movements and unique footwork that are employed by Toph Bei Fong to complement her blindness, giving her a unique style of Earthbending.[29]

# Northern Shaolin Kung Fu uses strong arm and leg movements. This technique is the foundation of "Firebending" in the series.[20]
    # Ba Gua uses erratic, circular movements.[20] In Bagua, centrifugal force plays a vital role in generating power, and the nearly constant circular movement creates angles between the fighters. This makes it easier for the practitioner to defend and attack. This martial art is the basis of "Airbending" and is the bending style of the main character, Aang.

Using this my friend and I were able to decide what attribute could be used for each bending style rather then just wisdom

Water: This style would use wisdom still but the racial abilities should be changed to +2 wisdom, -2 charisma. They have a lot of common sence but arent very nice.

Fire: This style would use strength but the racial abilities should be changed to +2 strength, -2 wisdom. They are powerful fighters but are head strong.

Earth: This style would use Constitution. Its racial abilities can remain the same

Wind: This style would use Dexterity. Its racial abilities can remain the same

Personally I am going to incoporate this into my avatar game if it is alright with you and you are welcome to try this as well. Its an idea that we came up with
    Last edited by demegrade; 2008-10-02 at 08:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

You're welcome to use it if you want. However, it seems simpler to me to use Wisdom for every bending skill because of its innate suitability for that use. A bender's understanding of their element is what makes them strong, to my way of thinking.

"Power in firebending comes from the breath, not the muscle."
    "You're moving the water around, but you're not feeling the push and pull."
    "The air supports something inside you, something even lighter then air, and that something takes over when you fly."
    "The key to earthbending is your stance. You've got to be steady and strong."

And so on. Anyway, here's the last area write-up for the Earth Kingdom. You may notice the new title I've added to my signature. I'm taking a break from these write-ups for a while, so anybody that wants to take a shot at the other nations is welcome to go ahead. Or, you can think up some of the 'plots and rumors', and send them to me, and I'll put in the ones I think are the most creative and intriguing. And lastly, a shiny copper piece to the one who can spot the Seven Samurai reference in this last one.

Nakatsuru Islands/Far South (non-canon content)

“When voyaging among these islands, it is impossible not to become aware of how much the people look to the sea. For their part, they cannot imagine life without the sound of the waves, or salt in the air. It is a part of every man’s life.”
    -Rem Jha the Traveler, journal entry

Spoiler
    Show
    Population: 69,395
    Government: Monarchy, assorted semi-independent towns
    Imports: Timber, Iron, Leather Goods, Rope, Fruits
    Exports: Seafood, Ship Supplies, Ships, Mercenaries, Trade Goods
    Alignment: NG, NE, TN

A large island group off the southernmost coast of the Earth Kingdom, these lands are about as far as it is possible to be from authority and the Earth Army, and the waters around them have long been considered hazardous to merchant ships. Yet the exotic goods and riches of the islands are enough to make sure that trade continues to flow back and forth, even to the neighboring southern and eastern Air Nomad islands, the outer edges of the Fire Nation, and until recently, the Southern Water Tribe. Remote, dangerous, and with the thrill of fortunes waiting to be made, the Nakatsuru Islands have always been a land apart from the rest of the world, separated by miles and miles of seas.

Life and Society:

Life in the islands is always a challenge. Fishing villages eke out a living, defending their homes against the weather, seekers after wealth, and pirate raids, merchants and glory hounds constantly brave danger to bring back the rare goods that are found here, and the pirates battle each other, the merchants, and the Fire Nation patrols. As one might guess, most of the significant events here involve the sea in some way, and the favored color for clothing is blue, or among the Fire Nation citizens and exiles, red, rather than green. A few Fire Nation colonies have been established, but the inhabitants are not numerous. However, the people care little about the war, as most of the islands have always ignored decrees, whether they come from the Earth King or the Fire Lord, and have defended themselves with an informal navy that has successfully resisted invaders many times.

Major Geographical Features:

Shushirei Island: The northernmost and biggest of the islands, Shushirei is the only one that is actually governed by the Earth Kingdom. It holds a fairly large population of noble families that prefer to govern their lands from a more pleasant location, are in disfavor, or find it to their advantage to be far away from Ba Sing Se and Omashu. Consequently, it also holds a fairly large number of private armies, which has given rise to many schools and academies for the honing of martial craft. Most settlements are located around the shoreline, for the interior is a mountainous forest that is home to the rare shirshu, the infamous animal that can paralyze its prey with a flick of its tongue.

Yohei Island: Caught between aggressive Earth Kingdom forces in the east, raiders from Rikichi Island in the west, the cold anarctic ocean in the south, and economic pressure from the south coast of the Earth Kingdom, Yohei Island has had to become independent and strong to survive. With a major river that runs through it, branching off into dozens of small streams that zig-zag across most of its northern half, nearly everyone here owns a boat of some kind. The farming and fishing villages support each other in nearly everything. When one village is attacked, the nearest settlements rally to defend it. They have used earthbending to create intricate barriers to sea attack. However, this vigilance has its price. The people are very wary, so they aren’t overly friendly to strangers, and they have become almost paranoid about encroachment by anyone. They just want to be left alone, but never have been.

Manzo Island: The second most easterly of the isles, Manzo Island is for the most part peaceful, yet hardly without experience in conflict. A land of green hills and sandy shores, it is a beautiful place, but the eastern half is constantly contested by Earth Kingdom forces trying to bring the island into their governance. The villagers fight them with tooth and claw at all corners, and thanks to a large population of earthbenders, they have more than held their own, and currently, Earth Army activities are confined to the eastern coast. The western half is ruled by commerce. The villages and towns here will trade with anyone that has money, but they are considerably more honest than the merchants of Rikichi Island to the west. As well, they have their own navy, made up of small, fast fishing and trading vessels. Rather than trying to directly stand up against Fire Navy vessels, they lure them into shallow water and use their superior maneuverability to close and board them. These tactics have been highly successful, and the Fire Nation has long since abandoned Manzo Island as not worth the effort.

Rikichi Island: A haven for the lawless and the disreputable, this island’s port towns and villages are rife with all manner of criminal types. The westernmost and second smallest of the islands, it has little natural resources, which to some extent is why the inhabitants conduct so many raids on fishing and farming villages on nearby islands. The ground is rocky, and too saturated with salt spray to be of much use, and most of the island is high hills. The icy South Pole seas are very close, and icebergs have been known to drift up this far before, especially in the winter. The weather here always seems a little colder than it should be.

The Forsaken Isle: This tiny speck of land, in between Rikichi and Yohei Island, is a place where even the most savage of pirates steer well clear of. Not only is it a desolate and barren place where hardly anything grows, but it is inhabited by a powerful storm spirit that ventures forth to wreak havoc on the seas from time to time. The island is swathed in a constant thunderstorm that can be seen for miles. It is possible to speak with her, if you perform the proper rites, but she is temperamental, and if she dislikes the questions asked, she destroys the asker on the spot. Her answers are also variable. Sometimes they are useful, sometimes not. She also is rumored to hold sway over a path into the Spirit World, but nobody has ever been brave enough to ask about that. Only the Avatar might be able to contend with and command her power.

Important Sites:

Masaru (Large City, 14,231): Sitting on the northernmost tip of Shushirei Island, this palatial city is almost exclusively populated by Earth Kingdom nobility, their servants, and a small class of merchants that profit handsomely from providing goods from the mainland. Acting as the provincial capital, Masaru is a major port for the Earth Navy and base for a small army detachment, and coastal fortresses ring the island. The city is breathtakingly beautiful, but few commoners ever get to see its wide avenues of sculpted marble and granite. Gambling is big here, and a lucky man can pick up a fortune in one night. The night life down at the docks is said to be spectacular.

Xei-Hong-La (Small City, 9,581): The hub for most of the pirates, smugglers, and braver merchants that sail these waters, Xei-Hong-La is the most dangerous city in the islands, and sits in a sheltered cove on Rikichi Island. With a massive harbor, the city does do a good deal of legitimate trade with the other islands and the mainland, but profits far more from illegal activities and goods. Though some here observe forms of honor, most business is done with knives in the dark. There are very few people here that are not experienced at keeping themselves safe in one way or another.

Regional History: See History of the Avatar World.

Plots and Rumors: Forthcoming.

Notable Individuals:

Kinto (Male human Waterbender14) Born in the Northern Water Tribe, Kinto was never exactly warmly regarded there, due to his chronic obsession with practical jokes, some of them harmful to the point of not being funny. Fortunately for the tribe Kinto left when he was fully grown, intending to see the world. He has traveled far, but these islands are where he spends most of his time. He still favors using painful or cruel waterbending moves, considering the results hilarious, but does ensure he only kills when attacked with that same intent. He has recently fallen in with a smuggling crew that roams the southern seas, though he is a restless sort, and is liable to be found anywhere in the islands.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

16. - Top - End - #226

SwashbucklerGuy

Don't forget the Foggy Swamp Water Tribe subrace, the sandbender subrace, and the Sun Warriors subrace, all those guys live in different enviroments and would have different stats

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's easier to use a single entry, for ease of use. But in the interests of completeness, here they are.

Si Wong Tribes

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma The sandbenders are just as enduring as the other people of the Earth Kingdom, but more mobile, though they are suspicious of outsiders.
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, Sandbenders have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Sandskimmer: The sandbenders are experienced in moving over the shifting dunes. They gain the Sandskimmer feat as a bonus feat.
    +4 racial bonus on saving throws against the effects of heat.
    Attack and Damage.
    +4 racial bonus on Survival checks in desert environments.
    +4 racial bonus on Knowledge(nature) checks.
    +2 racial bonus on Spot Checks
    +2 racial bonus on
    Favored Class: Earthbender. A multiclass sandbender's earthbender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Foggy Swamp Tribe

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, the swamp tribesmen have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Special Ability
    +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison and disease.
    Attack and Damage
    +4 racial bonus on Survival checks in tropical and swamp environments.
    +4 racial bonus on Swim checks
    +2 racial bonus on Knowledge(nature) checks
    +2 racial bonus on Listen checks
    Favored Class: Waterbender. A mutliclass swamp tribesman's waterbender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Sun Warriors

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 Strength, -2 Charisma The Sun Warriors are less concerned with
    technology than the Fire Nation, but possess greater strength of arm. However, they tend to be just as temperamental.
    -Medium: As Medium creatures, the Sun Warriors have no specific bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Special Ability
    +4 racial bonus on all saving throws against the effects of heat
    Attack and Damage
    +4 racial bonus on Survival checks in jungle environments
    +4 racial bonus on
    +2 racial bonus on Knowledge(Fire Nation History)
    +2 racial bonus on Spot Checks
    Favored Class: Firebender. A multiclass Sun Warrior's firebender class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

18. - Top - End - #228

SwashbucklerGuy

For the Si Wong Tribe you say
    +2 racial bonus on
    and then stop right there?

You gave the Foggy Swamp Tribe a +2 charisma? I see them as, if anything, more dexterous then charismatic...
    Last edited by felinoel; 2008-10-03 at 06:00 AM.

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's like I said. These entries are incomplete, because I couldn't think of anything to put in the blank spots. If anyone can suggest something to fill the gaps with, please do so. Oh, and about the swamp dwellers, they seem to have a very friendly atmosphere going on, and their waterbending style isn't nearly as graceful as the northern and southern styles, so I didn't figure them as particularly dextrous. I admit that it was a tough choice.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

20. - Top - End - #230

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Crimsonleaf View Post
    It's like I said. These entries are incomplete, because I couldn't think of anything to put in the blank spots. If anyone can suggest something to fill the gaps with, please do so. Oh, and about the swamp dwellers, they seem to have a very friendly atmosphere going on, and their waterbending style isn't nearly as graceful as the northern and southern styles, so I didn't figure them as particularly dextrous. I admit that it was a tough choice.
    Just because they use a more rigid form of bending doesn't mean they aren't dexterous, but yea, it is a tough choice, can you give them a plus one in one thing and a plus one in something else? That might make it easier...

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

21. - Top - End - #231

+1s break core D&D philosophy and are a bit easier to munch around with.

22. - Top - End - #232

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    +1s break core D&D philosophy and are a bit easier to munch around with.
    But come on, its the Foggy Water Tribe, just what can they be given a +2 in that makes good sense (instead of mildly adequete)?

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

23. - Top - End - #233

But come on, its the Foggy Water Tribe, just what can they be given a +2 in that makes good sense (instead of mildly adequete)?
    No idea. I'm generally against regional modifiers to begin with, though.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, it's been awhile...but a series of emails and posts in ancient threads direct to me have brought me from my unfortunate absence and back into the realm of the Avatar D20 project. I must say it is refreshing.

So, that business done with, I have a simple question. I have seen evidence of this project being used for campaigns and most of those I imagine make use of my pdf. However, I assume that there are a number of parts that may be outdated so, I will be taking up the task to release an up-to-date pdf by the end of December. So, my simple question is who would be willing to help? I do need to include Eighth Seraph's Ranger and Martial Artist as the default and my Martial Artist class as the variant and I am sure there are a few seed revisions I need to include and extra feats, etc. I will also add the chapters on creatures, technology, etc. To those who are interested in helping me with this endeavor, I need a compiled list (or just point out little typos and nit-picks) of the missing feats, revised seeds, and whatever else I'm missing as well as any suggestions as to the organization of the pdf.

If you want to be extra enthusiastic and write the stuff up in a word document or something, you can email it to me at: [email protected]

- LT

25. - Top - End - #235

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    No idea. I'm generally against regional modifiers to begin with, though.
    It can be counted as racial modifiers, since they are so different from each other they might as well be a different race, and they would be if there were any other race then human

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    So, my simple question is who would be willing to help? I do need to include Eighth Seraph's Ranger and Martial Artist as the default and my Martial Artist class as the variant and I am sure there are a few seed revisions I need to include and extra feats, etc. I will also add the chapters on creatures, technology, etc. To those who are interested in helping me with this endeavor, I need a compiled list (or just point out little typos and nit-picks) of the missing feats, revised seeds, and whatever else I'm missing as well as any suggestions as to the organization of the pdf.

If you want to be extra enthusiastic and write the stuff up in a word document or something, you can email it to me at: [email protected]

- LT
    LT, I just discovered the Avatar d20 project yesterday and would really like to help out. I would be willing to assist you with the PDF. I feel that the current PDF is a bit unorganized and is missing a lot of information. However, being so new to the system I don't quite understand everything myself. So, I might not be the best person to help you, but I'd like to try. If you want to coordinate something feel free to email me at [email protected] or send me an AIM. My S/N is King of Kalvorin.

27. - Top - End - #237

Also still here, still trying some afilliation stuff but it's slow going. I am against regional and 'racial' modifiers.

EDIT: I am also against modifying the Bending skills dependent attribute. It's been repeatedly demonstrated that a level of wisdom is most influential on someone's bending ability.
    Last edited by String; 2008-10-08 at 11:33 PM.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I agree on changing the bending attribute from wisdom, but why are you against racial modifiers? I think it makes a lot of sense, at the very least I think it should be there as a optional rule.

For one thing, it encourages non-benders playing in the system, as it makes a fire bender fighter have a different style then a water bender fighter, which I think is fitting in the world. (Each has a martial arts style whether or not they are benders, look at the way Sakka and Jet, two non-benders fight).
    For another thing, it creates variation in the world, as the only race in the game is human (no bonuses and a bonus feat). Finally, It's not going to be incredibly hard to balance and won't hurt anything to be there. If some people would like to concentrate in focusing on this, other people can work on other stuff (I'd be willing to help out if there are missing parts).

If your objection is based on messing with the basics of the mechanics, well I think there's no problem with that. The rules are a starting point, but games like Wheel of Time changes a lot of the mechanics to fit with Robert Jordan's world. I think it's more important to change the rules to fit in Avatar, than stick to the rules at the expense of the way the source material of the world works.

Maybe what we need is a new term. Not a "race bonus" but something like "Culture bonus".

Also, why +2 CHA for froggy tribe? They don't strike me as very charismatic.
    Last edited by Foolster41; 2008-10-09 at 12:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foolster41 View Post
    I agree on changing the bending attribute from wisdom, but why are you against racial modifiers? I think it makes a lot of sense, at the very least I think it should be there as a optional rule.

For one thing, it encourages non-benders playing in the system, as it makes a fire bender fighter have a different style then a water bender fighter, which I think is fitting in the world. (Each has a martial arts style whether or not they are benders, look at the way Sakka and Jet, two non-benders fight).
    For another thing, it creates variation in the world, as the only race in the game is human (no bonuses and a bonus feat). Finally, It's not going to be incredibly hard to balance and won't hurt anything to be there. If some people would like to concentrate in focusing on this, other people can work on other stuff (I'd be willing to help out if there are missing parts).

If your objection is based on messing with the basics of the mechanics, well I think there's no problem with that. The rules are a starting point, but games like Wheel of Time changes a lot of the mechanics. I think it's more important to change the rules to fit in Avatar, than stick to the rules at the expense of the way the source material of the world works.
    Whats wrong with the ones above? There is even subracial modifiers for the swampbender, sandbenders, and Sun Warriors

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not sure what you mean. I didn't say there was any problem. If you mean my offer to help, It was a open offer in case there were sub-races that were not done yet (I'm not sure if they are or not).

(The last line in my last post was aimed at Zak)