New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Amulet of the Boundless Wanderer [Artifact]

Amulet of the Boundless Wanderer

This amulet is a small plain talisman, a flat disk of steel, about a quarter-inch thick, the only decoration being an engravement on the back, a short prayer to the god of roads and travel, saying : “May no mountain bar my path, may no wall stop my travels, may no ocean halt my restless soul.” Looks deceive, though, as the amulet is quite powerful. When you put it on, you may activate any of the following abilities four abilities at will, though activating or turning off an ability is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The wielder automatically knows the capacities of the amulet.

The wielder’s arms sprout leathery flaps, and the littlest finger telescopes out to support the flap. The wielder gets a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to dexterity, and a fly speed equal to their base land speed, with good maneuverability. The wielder can do nothing else with their hands while flying, and can only fly with a medium or light load, and in light armor. The wielder takes a -2 to attack rolls with a weapon as long as this power is active.

The wielder’s knuckles and the backs of their hands sprout huge, blunt claws instead of hands. The wielder gets a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to strength and a burrow speed equal to their base land speed. This burrowing leaves a viable tunnel for others behind them, and you cannot tunnel through metal or hard stone, like granite. The wielders fingers are still free to manipulate things, dangling off the bottom of the new claws. The wielder takes a -2 to attack rolls with a weapon as long as they have this power active.

The wielder sprouts gills and flippers, gaining a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to wisdom, the aquatic subtype, and a swim speed equal to their base land speed. This does not mean they become amphibious, and they take penalties for being outside water as normal for an aquatic creature. The wielder takes a -2 to attack rolls with a weapon as long as this power is active.

The wielder gains a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to constitution, doubles their base land speed, and halves their required resting period.

-----------------------
    What do you think? I'm rather proud of myself.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2007-12-26 at 08:42 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Amulet of the Boundless Wanderer

Looks like a 200K item or so, due to the increased versatility.

Also, makes sure you note that it's a +2 enhancement bonus, otherwise they'll stack with Gloves of Dexterity, Periapt of Wisdom, ect., which seems a bit needless.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3

I was going to make it an artifact, actually.

But thanks for the advice on the enhancement bonus, I didn't think of that.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, OK, Artifact work perfectly - Probably Minor, but still works considerably better than making in easily available to players.

Ah, and I'm sorry for not mentioning before, but I love the item. It looks perfect for a BBEG who always manages to get everyone, but noone knows why...
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2007-12-25 at 07:18 PM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks! Anything else you can think of for this thing? All advice is appreciated.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

admiral squish, this is a triumph.

if you added uses per day or some duration to the abilities, it would seem less abusable. you may also find this table helpful.

magic items have prerequisite spells needed for their creation and appropriate caster levels. what would those be for the amulet of the boundless wanderer?

7. - Top - End - #7

Default Re: Amulet of the Boundless Wanderer [Artifact]

I can't even begin to figure out what spells this thing would take to make, it's base price, or anything like that. so, I'm make it an artifact. This would also help keep it out of the hands of adventurers too low-level to earn it.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

You probably could find the right spells, but yeah, this is definitely better as an artifact. It allows you to move over - or above - any terrain, for any amount of time, any number of times you wish. No question, this is artifact power.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You should specify if the claws make it impossible to wield weapons and/or make fine manipulations.
    Uncork a potion?
    Pick a lock?
    Tie a knot?

Might also want to specifically state they give no benefit to unarmed attacks what-so-ever.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    You should specify if the claws make it impossible to wield weapons and/or make fine manipulations.
    Uncork a potion?
    Pick a lock?
    Tie a knot?

Might also want to specifically state they give no benefit to unarmed attacks what-so-ever.
    I think they'd be dexterous enough to hold weapons, but that's about it. Maybe a -2 to attacks with the wings and claws.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2007-12-26 at 11:38 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

There, fixed. Even gave the digger claws working fingers, too. And the flippers got the -2 to attack, as well.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

if we're talking about the standard gods, then it should be the Amulet of Fharlanghn. just had to be nitpicky.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

This...is amazing.
    *Copies and Pastes to Microsoft Word*

Seriously, though, I love amassing artifacts and other neat-o items to use in my campaign world.

Nice work!

14. - Top - End - #14

Thanks for all the positive comments, I'm quite proud of this one.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

As for which spell would cover this I think Alter Self or at most Polymorph would be the one required.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.