New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ninja good or bad

Based on the class features is a ninja 3.5 a good class. This is not a discussion on fluff and how it is a Oriental flavored class.

Also Are there any Handbooks online to show how to make a optimized Ninja or good prestige class/builds.
    Last edited by de-trick; 2007-12-28 at 06:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ninja good or bad

I believe Ninja is a solid class. Although Sudden Strike seems inferior to good ol' Sneak Attack, Ninja's various abilities (especially Ghost Step) compensates the drawback. As an expert, Ninja can get the job done well and fast, as a fellow party member it can hold its own in some serious fights (not tanking, but landing those precious sudden strike down).

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfFighterGuy

I see ninja as not that great mix of monk and rogue. You'll have hard time optimizing his sudden strike (TWF doesn't work), he gets evasion later than the rogue, cannot wear armor (which means it's harder to boost AC), unlike monk has only one good save, has more MAD than rogue (monks need str, ninjas need int everything else is same), less skill points then rogue, worse skill list then rogue...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

They can take a feat to earn a smite attack that does not discriminate based on alignment (always good in certain books) as well as a bunch of other Ki feats that are just plain fun. Effective, though? Debatable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most effective ninja I could come up with was out of the Eberron system.
    Either a Talenta Halfling or Xendrik Drow with a level of fighter to pick up martial weapon prof. Take Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet, then start pulling Ghost Steps to get the Sudden Strikes and making the DC save on Boomerang Daze really high. I like it better than with rogue because you can more easily pull off repeated ranged Sudden Strikes than SA. Sillyness can happen if you take the Ninja/Fighter multi class feat so you can pickup Weapon Supremacy and throw boomerangs while in a grapple, but that's not really necessary.

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by marjan View Post
    ...You'll have hard time optimizing his sudden strike (TWF doesn't work)...
    Sorry, why not? If you're standing next to your opponent you can turn invisible as a Swift Action and full attack the crap out of them with multiple Sudden Strikes. Remember, they're invisible for a round, not a round or until they attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

not as good as samurai
    from,
    EE

8. - Top - End - #8

The ninja base class is OK, IF you want a ninja that is closer to a true ninja. But it does not specialize well and I prefer not to play them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

In my oppinion the ninja spy from Oriental Adventures 3.0 is a better ninja in both abilitys (still gets sneak attack) and role playing reasons (you have to earn the pristige class).

10. - Top - End - #10

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ninjas make great NPCs, but subpar NPCs. If the party isn't powergaming, then they're not bad. But they don't really fill the rogue's shoes.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    Sorry, why not? If you're standing next to your opponent you can turn invisible as a Swift Action and full attack the crap out of them with multiple Sudden Strikes. Remember, they're invisible for a round, not a round or until they attack.
    Didn't it have a line something like "as per invisibility spell"? Don't have book with me right now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

@marjan:It's on Crystal Keep, so as I can see it, no.

I like the class, because it feels a bit more like a combination of scout, monk, and rogue that actually churns out something better than their base parts.
    A better way of looking at it is as a mini Assassin.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninjas are completely not how are they supposed to be. Where's chakra usage, where are various ninjutsu, taijutsu and genjutsu? It doesn't even have the ability to create illusionary clones!

Spoiler
    Show
    And on a serious note, the worst thing about the class is that everything it can do, a rogue can do better - they have better damage output because sneak attack is superior to sudden strike, are better skillmonkeys because they have more base skill points and broader skill selection, and are less MAD - no use for wisdom.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-12-31 at 02:52 PM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marjan View Post
    Didn't it have a line something like "as per invisibility spell"? Don't have book with me right now.
    I just checked my book, it doesn't say as per invisibility spell. Ikkitosen is right, it's 1 round, not 1 attack. I would have sworn it was the other way around too.

Even so I think it's fairly weak, particularly as the levels increase. A lot of things can see invisible as you go up and that weakens it a good bit.

A Ninja is pure bad but I think, in comparison to the Rogue, the big hit is the loss of 2 skill points and the almighty UMD skill. UMD is what lets the Rogue play with the Wizards and other casters on their level. The Ninja without it gets left behind with the fighter and monk as levels go up.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Ninjas are completely not how are they supposed to be. Where's chakra usage, where are various ninjutsu, taijutsu and genjutsu? It doesn't even have the ability to create illusionary clones!

Spoiler
    Show
    And on a serious note, the worst thing about the class is that everything it can do, a rogue can do better - they have better damage output because sneak attack is superior to sudden strike, are better skillmonkeys because they have more base skill points and broader skill selection, and are less MAD - no use for wisdom.
    Dragon mag made some really cool feats for ninjas that replicate a bunch of naruto esque. stuff.
    The biggest benefit of the ninja is that it truly is the master of sneakyness, even better(level for level) than the shadowdancer.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Yeah, yeah. Ninja might seem to be an okay class at first glance, but it's a trap! The moment you run into anyone with the Swashbuckler, Dread Pirate, Scarlet Corsair, or similar classes, (or even 5 ranks in Profession: Sailor and a chaotic alignment) you automatically lose!
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-12-31 at 03:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I disliked the ninja class enough to make me homebrew it entirely for a campaign of mine. Fixes included :
    1 ) sudden attack became sneak attack, stacking with other sneak attacks. A ninja should be able to knock someone out for interrogation
    2 ) more ki powers, and more interesting ki powers. I'm encouraging my players to write their own.
    3 ) ki dodge became a raw AC bonus, not concealment. I don't like concealment, it takes more rolls and much longer time to resolve a single player's turn.
    4 ) evasion. Evasion! Come on!

Good things about the original ninja :
    1 ) invisibility for a single round, not more. You have to creep up to your target, then in a single round, turn invisible then sudden attack them. You cannot idle around invisible. This is a reasonable D&D interpretation of the ninja.
    2 ) fewer class skills than the rogue. Ninjas should not hiders, sneakers, killers, AND performers.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Dragon mag made some really cool feats for ninjas that replicate a bunch of naruto esque. stuff.
    The biggest benefit of the ninja is that it truly is the master of sneakyness, even better(level for level) than the shadowdancer.
    Is that actually online anywhere? I have (briefly) dipped into the vastness of the interweb looking for them and I have drawn a blank... That sounds very interesting and I would like to do more reading on that.
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2007-12-31 at 03:46 PM.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    I was being sarcastic, but good to know, I'd guess...

And unluckily, the bad thing about sneaking is that when you're scouting around, more often than not the rest of the party sits there bored, doing nothing.

20. - Top - End - #20

NinjaGuy

I think by level ten the two skill point loss is negated. Ghost Step (ethereal) makes Open Lock and Disable Device (when not sabotaging something) obsolete. Oh, treasure? I'll just step through said wall/locked door grab it, and bring it out. You can always smash locks.

Didn't pick up on the uniqueness of its invisi-ability, good catch.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In the end a ninja from complete adventurer is kind of like a weaker rogue, personally I'd rather play a rogue and flavor him as a ninja than play a ninja, but the class isn't bad enough to be useless.

There's a ninja in another book, a setting called rokugan or something like that, that is what I figured a ninja should have been, it's more combat focused then a rogue, with the biggest difference being full BAB, but it doesn't get all the juicy rogue abilities.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Yeah, yeah. Ninja might seem to be an okay class at first glance, but it's a trap! The moment you run into anyone with the Swashbuckler, Dread Pirate, Scarlet Corsair, or similar classes, (or even 5 ranks in Profession: Sailor and a chaotic alignment) you automatically lose!
    It doesn't even have a "Totally flip out and kill people" class feature.
    As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall know no fear, for i have three lives remaining and god mode enabled.

Pastry Chef of the Lord Shojo Fanclub

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Necromas View Post
    There's a ninja in another book, a setting called rokugan or something
    Okay, Oriental Adventures (Rokugan) is THE d20 orient/far east setting. The Ninja/Samurai/Wu-Jen/etc. classes in the "Complete" series of books are crap. If you really want to play an eastern flavored class, go pick up OA. (it is, unfortunately, 3e, not 3.5e, so it takes some minor conversion to make them work on occasion.) That setting was so wonderfully thought out and put together, it puts D&D to shame.
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-12-31 at 03:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Faceless View Post
    It doesn't even have a "Totally flip out and kill people" class feature.
    Heh, yeah.

Their weapons should also always be vorpal.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

YARRR! QFT.

I agree with people who were saying that you can generally make a better ninja out of a Rogue than out of a Ninja. (Or Swordsage. It's even better for rejlacing the Ninja than it is for replacing the Monk.)

Hmmm. The ultimate showdown, Pirate vs. Ninja ... who are both actually the same (pure Rogue) build save for a couple differences in skill and feat selection. Fun.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I really like the ninja, and combined with a warlock and weilding a spiked chain. Well it's just so much fun.
    ::: my eternal gratitude to Nathan for the incredibly sweet werewolf avatar:::

"No dude, it's true, halflings are real i saw it on Oprah"
    said in all seriousness by my friend Robert Bloom to a chorus of laughter

"Oh, little ice cream friends! thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Okay, Oriental Adventures (Rokugan) is THE d20 orient/far east setting. The Ninja/Samurai/Wu-Jen/etc. classes in the "Complete" series of books are crap. If you really want to play an eastern flavored class, go pick up OA. (it is, unfortunately, 3e, not 3.5e, so it takes some minor conversion to make them work on occasion.) That setting was so wonderfully thought out and put together, it puts D&D to shame.
    why did they drop that whole genre, i think foreign styled D&D would be amazing (Middle Eastern, Indian, Native American, Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian, Indonesian, Africa, Egyptian ect)
    i liked that Book and the SE arabian adventures
    from,
    EE

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

For a feudal Japan-style game, just play Legend of the 5 Rings, the non-d20 game that introduced Rokugan first. It's much better and more flavorful than DND (though frankly, that's not hard).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninja's aren't that effective in my opinion, but I agree with the AP for a Japanish game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    For a feudal Japan-style game, just play Legend of the 5 Rings, the non-d20 game that introduced Rokugan first. It's much better and more flavorful than DND (though frankly, that's not hard).
    1. I do play Rokugan, but it certainly isn't totally feudal Japan (some chinese mix) but i like it, the system puts me off edge though and i don't like the way they do their lore. Good system though
    2. Any chance that there is a middle eastern version, i've always wanted to be Sinbad
    From,
    EE