New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Would you like this feat?

Comments are welcome. I'd like reasons as to allow or disallow this feat for both PCs and enemies.

Swift Dancer

You have applied the hit-while-running tactics learned from scouting to your dancing abilities.

Prerequesite: Skirmish 2d6/+2 AC
    Benefit: Your Scout and Dervish levels stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage and AC bonus to Armor Class granted when skirmishing. For example, a 8th level Scout/1st level Dervish would deal an extra 3d6 points of damage and gain a +2 competence bonus to AC (as well as an additional +1 bonus to damage and to-hit if she were wielding a scimitar) as if she were a 9th level Scout.

Your Fast Movement speed bonuses from your Scout and Dervish levels also stack with each other.

In addition, You may make trip attempts with any light slashing melee weapon. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Special: A Scout can select Swift Dancer as one of her scout bonus feats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would you like this feat?

Feat usable only between a specific class and a specific PrC? That basically means it's required for that build. I'd say it's overpowered, because you're basically making going Dervish have no drawbacks for a Scout.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you'd lose out on the bonus feats, the Battle fortitude bonuses, Hide in Plain Sight, Free Movement, and Blindsight. Plus, you have to waste 3 feats on craptacular stuff like Dodge, Mobility, and Weapon Focus.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2007-12-29 at 08:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's really up to you - The skirmish damage will shoot skyward, especially with the Dervishes ability to make so many attacks.

Dervish is already a wonderful choice for scouts, this just makes it even better.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's rather broken, I'd say.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Your Fast Movement speed bonuses from your Scout and Dervish levels also stack with each other.

In addition, You may make trip attempts with any light slashing melee weapon. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Drop those three..and you have a new form of 'Aestic' kinda thing...

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

eh, no worse than the skirmish rouge tactic.

I'd be all over it but then my scout build already had the prereqs but felt tempest wasn't good enough to take as a PrC. And really, alone it isn't. Dervish is another one what I think should benifit from this feat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    It's really up to you - The skirmish damage will shoot skyward, especially with the Dervishes ability to make so many attacks.

Dervish is already a wonderful choice for scouts, this just makes it even better.
    Well here's the thing. Someone in my group is wishing to go into Dervish (a cool, but rather unimpressive class when compared to the rest of the party I feel)...while the rest of the group is a Druid, Iot7V, Pounce Barbarian with Shock Trooper.

I've got an idea for a great recurring villain to harass the party. She would be a Dervish, but I had felt the Dervish just lacked in the oomph department. Was just gonna go with another more powerful class combintion and keep the fluff, but I thought perhaps this custom feat might be just the thing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I think it could be, and I don't think it's any more broken than any of the other feats the players have access to. Yes it's stronger than dodge, but most feats are.

I've looked at the dervish class and it's just not really apealling when you set it up next to further scout levels. I'm sorry, but I feel PrC's are something people should be interested in. Go with it!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tialait
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty

Drop those three..and you have a new form of 'Aestic' kinda thing...
    If you're saying that without those three features this would be a perfectly good feat, I second this statement.

If the word "and" is being used to signify something else, I still support the statement I originally interpretted.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

We have a homebrew forum for this sort of thing do we not?

I think this sort of feat shoudn't be used with Prcs, especially not one of the few decent ones.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since we're discussing dervish, do you think you could use whirlwind attack while in a dervish dance? That would kinda kick ass against a high number of opponents

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I think this sort of feat shoudn't be used with Prcs, especially not one of the few decent ones.
    I agree. The concept is nice, and in a similar vein to the Complete Scoundrel feats, but unlike those feats it's marrying a prestige class to a base class instead of two base classes. IMO they should be kept separated.
    Purveyor of Pies and the Iron Kingdoms!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Add some AoE attacks, a dervish dance, with that feat.

With a little tweaking it looks pretty nice.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Whirlwind Attack is a full-round action. So you can do one per round while in dervish dance.

As for the Dervish itself, do you guys think it's fine or it needs some work? I'm thinking maybe A Thousand Cuts needs to have its uses bumped up. Either it can be used once per encounter, or it can used once, and then the Dervish must spent a swift action to concentrate and immediately follow it up with an attack or a full-round attack or a dervish-dance attack to "recharge" it.