New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4th Ed: Critical Hits!

New article is up. Pretty sweet stuff. Of particular interest is the weapons-table.

Spoilered for your convinience:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To score a critical hit in 4th Edition D&D, do the following:

Roll 20.

Simple enough, right? Just one number to remember. And more importantly, just one roll.

Yes, the confirmation roll is gone. So why did we get rid of it? Because we, like so many players, had rolled crits only to have the confirmation roll miss. And we didn't like it. We don't think that many people did. (I look forward to reading the posts of people who disagree.) Having one roll is faster, and it's more fun. It keeps the excitement of the 20, and ditches the disappointment of the failure to confirm.

Critical Damage

Here's the part that's going to take some getting used to: Critical hits don't deal double damage. This changed because doubling everything 5% of the time led to some pretty crazy spikes that were very unpredictable.

Let's say you roll a crit with a power that deals 1d10+4 normally. So the crit deals 2d10+8. The next turn, the monster attacks you using a power that deals 3d6+4 damage. He crits, dealing 6d6+8. Between the extra dice and the doubled ability modifier, that's a pretty huge difference! (And a pretty painful one.)

Instead, when you roll a critical hit, all the dice are maximized. So your 1d10+4 power deals 14 damage and the monster's 3d6+4 deals 22. Generally speaking, randomness is more of an advantage to monsters than PCs. More predictable critical damage keeps monsters from insta-killing your character.

Having maximized dice also helps out when you have multitarget attacks. You'll roll an attack roll against each target, so maximized dice keep you from needing to roll a bunch of dice over and over -- you can just write your crit damage on your character sheet for quick reference.

Beefing Up Your Crits

PCs also have some extra tricks up their sleeves to make their criticals better. Magic weapons (and implements for magical attacks) add extra damage on crits. So your +1 frost warhammer deals an extra 1d6 damage on a critical hit (so your crit's now up to 14+1d6 damage in the example above). Monsters don't get this benefit, so PC crits outclass monster crits most of the time.

Crits can be improved in a couple of other ways. Weapons can have the high crit property, giving extra dice on a crit. Like this:
    {table=head]Weapon | Prof. | Damage | Range | Cost | Weight | Category | Properties
    War Pick | 2 | d8 | -- | 15 gp | 6 lb. | Pick | High crit, versatile[/table]

In addition, some powers and magic items have extra effects on a hit. So crits are doing just fine without all those dice.

Crits in Play

In playtest, it does seem like critical hits come up more often. The subtitle of this article is stolen from Chris Tulach, who sings a bit of, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Crit-mas" whenever the natural 20s come out to play. Fortunately, hit points are higher, especially at low levels, so there's a bigger buffer to keep those crits from killing people too quickly. It still feels great to roll one, but the fight goes on.

We've tried to corral the numbers but keep the feel that a critical hit is a special event. So grab your d20 and your big, nasty magic axe, and get ready to crit for the fences!
    OotSP :D
    Spoiler
    Show

My creations:
    Custom initiative system (shots)
    The Nameless [MitpII]
    D20 "total conversion" (will probably never be finished :P)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: 4th Ed: Critical Hits!

So your +1 frost warhammer deals an extra 1d6 damage on a critical hit (so your crit's now up to 14+1d6 damage in the example above). Monsters don't get this benefit, so PC crits outclass monster crits most of the time.
    I sincerely hope this is only implying monsters won't often have magic items, or this only exacerbates this slightly stupid "T3h PCs are 1337" line some of the 4e articles have shown so far.

Otherwise, hey, this is a much bigger simplification which makes sense. I like it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, any idea what "versatile" in description of pick is supposed to mean?
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2008-01-04 at 07:25 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

One of the most interesting parts for me was the apparent "Proficiency Level" of the sample weapon (2). Apparently, now, weapon proficiency is a numerical stat, rather than a list of weapons you're proficient with. I like that ... although I'm not sure how it will work with Exotic weapons that should be one-shot deals.

As far as the Crit system ... I still really don't like:

- How a common Kobold fighting a mid-level guy in plate will get a critical hit anytime he gets a hit at all (i.e. on natural 20's). That's what the confirmation roll was for.

- How weapons can't be differentiated anymore by how often they crit (i.e. larger threat ranges). That was a great bit of flavor for scimitars, kukris, etc.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nice max damage on crits. Fear the deadly dagger!...

WAIT A SEC!

Prof 2?

Weapon proficiency is by numbers now. Zawhaaaaa?
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really impressed one way or the other. I like the confirmation roll going away, but i will miss the multiplied damage. For us, that's what really made it exciting. The bit about getting the crit (or being critted upon), but the fight goes on was kind of a bummer as well. Our group cut it's teeth on Shadowrun and other high-lethality games. Sometimes a lucky shot can end your life, and we're used to it. Being able to score a battle-ending lucky shot or even the real threat of being hit by one yourself is something my group likes.

We'll see how things develop.

Oh yeah, and I preordered my core books already, so I am giving 4e a chance. Don't get on my case and say I'm just being negative.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PCs also have some extra tricks up their sleeves to make their criticals better. Magic weapons (and implements for magical attacks) add extra damage on crits. So your +1 frost warhammer deals an extra 1d6 damage on a critical hit (so your crit's now up to 14+1d6 damage in the example above). Monsters don't get this benefit, so PC crits outclass monster crits most of the time.
    Stupid. Monsters should follow the same rules as PCs.

In playtest, it does seem like critical hits come up more often. The subtitle of this article is stolen from Chris Tulach, who sings a bit of, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Crit-mas" whenever the natural 20s come out to play. Fortunately, hit points are higher, especially at low levels, so there's a bigger buffer to keep those crits from killing people too quickly. It still feels great to roll one, but the fight goes on.
    Extremely stupid. "Your axe splits his head down the middle. He keeps fighting, unhindered." This was a big problem in 3.5, 4th E is making it even worse.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Good point Draz...

With this system anemic halfling commoner can do quite serious damage to scaled dragon in 5% of strikes, when he have heavy pick or something.

Even if he has let's say - 8 penalty to attack.

I think that they should leave some confirmation.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

For the first time, the development team is doing something that I'm not a big fan of. Maximized damage on a crit instead of double damage is fine, but wierd extra damage on a crit just because its a magic weapon?

If it has a special property that triggers on a crit, that's fine with me, but just because I have a +1 sword shouldn't also give me a minor form of flaming burst.

Also, what about weapons with bigger crit ranges, like scimitars and rapiers?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I don't mind the change, but the justification for it makes no sense. In the example they gave, of course the monster's attack did much more average damage on a crit than the PC's average damage on a critical hit. It did considerably more average damage without a critical hit too.

They're saying it's bad that the damage is unpredictable? The POINT is that the damage is unpredictable! If everything was perfectly predictable, all the weapons did a fixed amount of damage instead of rolling dice, etc., someone would figure out how to break the system in a few weeks. When things are unpredictable, it means that many different options can be viable because it's harder to notice that on average they are less effective. Randomness is why it's fun - you don't KNOW whether you can beat every encounter or not until you try.

And the thing about randomness being an "advantage" to monsters over PCs? Well, first off, monsters are supposed to be powerful. An encounter of your CR should be winnable but not a pushover. It's not like there's some competition between monsters and PCs over who's "better"; it's a game. It's not a struggle between the DM and the PCs as to who can create the tougher challenge, it's a game. Plus, randomness does not consistently benefit anyone. That's what makes it random. It's called random, because who it helps is random, because its effects are random, so it's random!

The actual mechanics are good, though. Weapons still have different critical hit properties so you can't just choose the one with the biggest base damage and assume it's the best. Plus, I'm glad they dumped the confirmation roll. Those were irritating as all hell. As long as what they're doing is good, how they explain it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by osyluth View Post
    Stupid. Monsters should follow the same rules as PCs.
    No, they shouldn't. They never did, though--from monster abilities like Pounce and Improved Grab that PCs didn't used to have access to, to the many natural attacks players couldn't get, to the lack of magic items, monsters have never worked the same as PCs.

Extremely stupid. "Your axe splits his head down the middle. He keeps fighting, unhindered." This was a big problem in 3.5, 4th E is making it even worse.
    Maybe if the enemy keeps fighting unhindered, you could try, I don't know, not describing it as splitting his head down the middle, maybe?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by osyluth View Post
    "Your axe splits his head down the middle. He keeps fighting, unhindered." This was a big problem in 3.5, 4th E is making it even worse.
    Meh ... at least 4E defines when HP actually represent physical wounds instead of dodging stamina/luck/morale. (I don't agree with their definition, which is "below 50% HP," but it's better than no definition.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Simple, don't make a nat 20 auto hit.

Sometimes you really just are that outmatched (or outmatching, depending.)

Sorry little kobold, you can't hit the armored knight. But hey, he doesn't get any xp for killing you because you're not a threat. Lose/lose ftw :)

Meh

I hated rolling confs. I use spells and abilities that minimize the need for confs.

FWIW, there's nothing stated that weapon won't have higher crit margins. (or feats ala Improved Critical.)
    Trollbait extraordinaire

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Plus, randomness does not consistently benefit anyone. That's what makes it random. It's called random, because who it helps is random, because its effects are random, so it's random!
    Actually, this part of what they said was correct. "Not a pushover" means "some small chance of actually losing if they dice treat you badly enough." "More random factors" means "more chance of the underdog actually getting lucky and winning." And in most encounters, the monsters are the underdog.

Not to mention, monsters are expendable, except for the occasional recurring NPC. The DM hasn't actually lost anything when randomness favors the PCs and they have an extra-easy encounter against those Wights. But when the randomness goes the other way and the Nagas get lucky and pick off the Wizard, the PCs have to work a lot harder to cover their loss.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Meh ... at least 4E defines when HP actually represent physical wounds instead of dodging stamina/luck/morale. (I don't agree with their definition, which is "below 50% HP," but it's better than no definition.)
    I wonder, if they are doing what you had written, maybe they will develop some penalties for being wounded.

I mean, if HP will now clearly represent actual wounds, situation will look like that:

1HP of overall 95HP Your 5 ribs are broken by club impact, six arrows impaled your body, your respiratory system is serioulsy burned by some magic fumes, your left foot is almost off. Your head hurts, beacuse somebody droped small anvil on it.
    But you are swinging your sword and avoiding attacks just as well as healthy guy. With no problems.

Then you fell someone's boot on your ass ( 2 damage), and you suddenly fall down all dying and stuff.

I know that situaton above can be described : " You are getting weaker and weaker, so the final enemy strike, just as dangerous as others, drops you down, while previous ones merealy hurted you".

But since you said
    HP actually represent physical wounds
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2008-01-04 at 07:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the critical confirmation going away. Most of the time our group didn't use it anyways.

I'm guessing the "High Crit" property will be replacing the x3 and x4 criting weapons. I'd also think that there will be a property for the weapons that crit on rolls other than 20.

As for that +1 Frost Warhammer, I hope the Frost property will be doing something when you don't crit. I've never been a fan of enchantments that only activate on a crit.

And for those who still want your crits to be potentially life ending, go use the 2nd Ed Critical Tables. Fun times.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The confirmation roll never made all that sense to me anyway. If I rolled the nat 20, that means I got lucky and broke your defense. Rolling again is stupid since I broke your defense already.

Double damage never made sense to me either. The varying damage of the weapon represents the varying threat of the weapon. If I broke your defense, my attack should deal the maximum threat not double it.

I'm glad their combining the auto hit and the critical hit into one. If Lil Timmy gets lucky and stabs Sir Thomas in the face, he got lucky and stabbed Sir Thomas in the face. He doesn't roll a 20 (attack) then a 2 (confirm) then a 1(damage) and stab his middle toe.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    Having maximized dice also helps out when you have multitarget attacks. You'll roll an attack roll against each target, so maximized dice keep you from needing to roll a bunch of dice over and over -- you can just write your crit damage on your character sheet for quick reference.
    Great less rolling.

PCs also have some extra tricks up their sleeves to make their criticals better. Magic weapons (and implements for magical attacks) add extra damage on crits. So your +1 frost warhammer deals an extra 1d6 damage on a critical hit (so your crit's now up to 14+1d6 damage in the example above).
    Ahh, I see what you guys did there... you rolled the less rolling back.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

I was kind of hoping that crits would lower the target's condition, instead of spiking damage. That way, they would be nastily effective without being overly lethal.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    No, they shouldn't. They never did, though--from monster abilities like Pounce and Improved Grab that PCs didn't used to have access to, to the many natural attacks players couldn't get, to the lack of magic items, monsters have never worked the same as PCs.
    Wow, I actually agree with Rachel about something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    Great less rolling.

Ahh, I see what you guys did there... you rolled the less rolling back.
    My thoughts exactly. I think I see where this is going...
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-01-04 at 07:35 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I'd also think that there will be a property for the weapons that crit on rolls other than 20.
    Any ideas? (Either speculation or Homebrew, it's effectively the same thing at this point.) Because I'll need something to use in my games for this stuff.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Who here ever actually doubled the dice? My group has always rolled normally and double the result, easy. We all got criticals every now and then, we all enjoyed doubling the result. This is going to cheapen the event for us, I think.

For example: [In 3.5]
    P1: Yes! Critical hit on the Troll!
    DM: That's 2d8+8 damage then. Roll 'em monkeyboy
    P2: If it's anything more than 15 the thing goes down!
    P1: 8! Yes! That's 16+8, for a total of 24 damage!

[In 4E]
    P1: Yes! Critical hit on the Troll!
    DM: That's max damage then.
    P2: Okay, so it'll go down slightly faster than I thought
    P1: Great, we just need to get through the next 3 hit points plus 5 for Regen with no Cleric and a disabled Wizard. Anyone have a pen?
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2008-01-04 at 07:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

i really dislike this new change, as allready mentioned it allows for a lot less differentiation of weapons, and less rolling isnt allways better.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't miss the confirmation roll going, since it always sucks to have a threat hit and then fail to crit.

I don't miss the randomness on crits going. Ever crit for 2 damage? It sucks.

But adding wierd extras to what should be a simple damage boost is not a good idea.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Hopefuly they've remove the "20 is always a hit" thing then...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Hopefuly they've remove the "20 is always a hit" thing then...
    That was always a variant anyways

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dunno. I like the idea of getting rid of confirmation rolls. Max damage instead of doubling. It could work, but theres lots of valid points of it making weapons less unique. Although getting rid of ridiculous duel keen kukris is nice.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Not according to the SRD it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    What? From the SRD:

Automatic Misses and Hits

A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss. A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a hit. A natural 20 is also a threat—a possible critical hit.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I’m hit and miss with this (no pun indended). I like how they combined both rolls into one and really like how they redefined hit points (something that was a huge pet peve with me to begin with).

Now I don’t like how they simply maxed out damage on crits. Sure its not that bad of a mechanic. But a 1d4-damage knife is still going to not do that much to that 180 hit point monster. I would much rather see some sort of condition track. I would love rules that granted you the ability to create conditions on your foes. For example a mace should be able to stagger and stun an opponent (via bashing them in the head). While a dagger should be able to cause bleeding wounds or an axe that could sever limbs. It would make it so that any weapon a hero chooses is going to be effective. Players would have much more options, and there would be reasons to take other weapons other than the “best” weapons available (IE spiked chain, great sword, and any high crit weapons).