New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Tomb of Horrors

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Tomb of Horrors

So, I've downloaded ToH, and am going to DM it, we're gonna play gestalt since it is almost certain it will not be mroe than two or three players, so we need any advantages we can get.
    I only know the character of one player, which will be a warmage 9//warlock 9. The other player prefers to make ridiculously offensive fighter and arcanist builds. So my question is, how far would they get before being croaked, and any advice on playing ToH?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors

You need a rogue. Else you'll be dead after a couple of steps in. Most likely in a spiked pit.

Also, prepare for a lot of deaths, maybe even a couple of TPKs. Give them something they can resurrect each other with, maybe a Ring of Three Wishes that only resurrects and activates a Contingency: Resurrect when everyone's dead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I defeated the final boss with a 1st level commoner.

Yeah... he happened to have +70 on all saves... so what?
    I'm Bringing Shaky Back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to ben101 for the super-sexy avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble
    SexyOchreJelly - I want to get wobbly with your avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    You need a rogue. Else you'll be dead after a couple of steps in. Most likely in a spiked pit.

Also, prepare for a lot of deaths, maybe even a couple of TPKs. Give them something they can resurrect each other with, maybe a Ring of Three Wishes that only resurrects and activates a Contingency: Resurrect when everyone's dead.
    Okay. Also, the Warlock player has decided to be wizard instead of Warmage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I ran it over New Year’s weekend.

Don’t forget to tell your players it’s a thinking man’s dungeon. There aren’t a lot of monsters to fight, but there are an awful lot of traps and puzzles to solve.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    I ran it over New Year’s weekend.

Don’t forget to tell your players it’s a thinking man’s dungeon. There aren’t a lot of monsters to fight, but there are an awful lot of traps and puzzles to solve.
    Don't worry, I m pretty sure atleast the warlock player is going to know it's got a load of wicked trap, since he looks on the Giant in the Playground forums. I am sure he's read atleast one thread where players weep over the wickedness of it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

You need someone that has Trapfinding as a class skill and maximal ranks in Search. Otherwise, you're dead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Don’t forget to tell your players it’s a thinking man’s dungeon.
    "Which door do you wish to open? Are you certain? Shall we lock the answer?

Behind... Door three... We find... Raptors! I'm sorry, better luck next time."

It's a paranoid man's dungeon. It's a dungeon for people who insist on carrying custom eleven and three quarter foot poles. It is a dungeon for folks whose preferred method of problem-solving is to Disintegrate a path through it. What it's not is a dungeon for rational people.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

But not Ethereal Jaunt a way through it.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
    Okay. Also, the Warlock player has decided to be wizard instead of Warmage.
    That depresses me. Gestalt, wizards synergize BADLY with warlock. The warlocks forte is to wear light/medium armor and blast stuff to death and climb all over the walls. The warmage is the same, but more blasting and less climbing.

Also, where can I find ToH for download? Found it. Thanks.

Edit: Having looked over ToH, you are going to need that spiderclimb and dispel magic at will.
    Last edited by FlyMolo; 2008-01-05 at 04:38 PM.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The tower of the pointy-hatted folks who live by the sea, of course: Linky.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    That depresses me. Gestalt, wizards synergize BADLY with warlock. The warlocks forte is to wear light/medium armor and blast stuff to death and climb all over the walls. The warmage is the same, but more blasting and less climbing.

Also, where can I find ToH for download?
    I will tell him that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

As far as character creation goes, I would actually suggest less complicated characters than gestalt. What your players probably want is a stack of throwaway characters, simple and without extreme emotional attachment.

'Cause they gonna die.

A lot.
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    But not Ethereal Jaunt a way through it.
    Why certainly if you want the rapid ghost pirhana to get you....
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Warlocks are surprisingly well adapted to the ToH, if they simply shatter everything that they see that could possibly contain a trap, and hover using flight.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I downloaded it a while ago (end of November?) in preparation for running it as a special 1-shot break from my group's current campaign over the Christmas holidays.

However, after looking over it...I have to say it's really really lame. I say that with a heavy heart, as I'd gotten my hopes up for it being some great peerless machination of ages past.

You should tell the players beforehand that the puzzles are random and they're not suppose to figure them out. Just die continuously until something happens. Everyone play rogues with the best search and disable device modifiers possible, because the vast majority of "playing" in the Tomb of Horrors is making Search checks every five feet or everyone dies instantly. Don't touch anything nor attempt to gain any treasure whatsoever.

Hopefully they'll retool it for 4ed, because it looks like that edition will have better trap mechanics. As it is, 3.5's iteration is about as fun as playing Minesweeper blindfolded, but every time you hit a mine, someone carves one of your testicles out with a rusty spoon, and it grows back- repeat for 35 hours until the climax where you're force-fed boiling excrement while being molested by a clown.

Please, instead of DMing this dungeon, just call your players to your house, kick them in the groin, and shove them back out the door. It'll be WAY more fun for them (and you).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    "It's a paranoid man's dungeon. It's a dungeon for people who insist on carrying custom eleven and three quarter foot poles. It is a dungeon for folks whose preferred method of problem-solving is to Disintegrate a path through it. What it's not is a dungeon for rational people.
    This made me laugh. It's funny because it's true. :)

The Tomb of Horrors is not a thinking man's dungeon. Approaching the problems carefully, rationally thinking things through, then taking the most sensible course of action will result in you dying. Painfully.

What the ToH really rewards is cowardice. The best way to survive it is to never be the first one into a room. Or the second. Or the third. Actually, just let someone else do the whole dungeon for you.

If you absolutely have to go into a room or corridor yourself, the best approach is to use sheep. Sheep work very well. Use your sheep to scout out every square inch of the place, and watch to see what happens, drawing a map as you do. Periodically, you will have to leave to acquire more sheep.

The fact that a herd of sheep is an effective tactic should be your tip-off that this is an extremely silly and arbitrary place, which is best dealt with by staying far away. :)

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I downloaded it a while ago (end of November?) in preparation for running it as a special 1-shot break from my group's current campaign over the Christmas holidays.

However, after looking over it...I have to say it's really really lame. I say that with a heavy heart, as I'd gotten my hopes up for it being some great peerless machination of ages past.

You should tell the players beforehand that the puzzles are random and they're not suppose to figure them out. Just die continuously until something happens. Everyone play rogues with the best search and disable device modifiers possible, because the vast majority of "playing" in the Tomb of Horrors is making Search checks every five feet or everyone dies instantly. Don't touch anything nor attempt to gain any treasure whatsoever.

Hopefully they'll retool it for 4ed, because it looks like that edition will have better trap mechanics. As it is, 3.5's iteration is about as fun as playing Minesweeper blindfolded, but every time you hit a mine, someone carves one of your testicles out with a rusty spoon, and it grows back- repeat for 35 hours until the climax where you're force-fed boiling excrement while being molested by a clown.

Please, instead of DMing this dungeon, just call your players to your house, kick them in the groin, and shove them back out the door. It'll be WAY more fun for them (and you).
    This is amazing. The best way to DM playing this dungeon would be to fiat some way of getting the characters back out if they die. Like, they're all cursed to keep trying until they die. If you have particularly masochistic players who like puzzles, this could be fun. And I'm sigging the minesweeper blindfolded part.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

If you are cowardly and paranoid, you can do it okay. I reccomend the Recharge Magic system in the SRD as it has the distinct advantage of keeping this from being a rest-and-continue type of thing. Granted, this kind of makes a warlock useless.

Really, if you have somone who can heal, somone who can summon hordes of easy monsters to walk over traps, and somone with trapfinding, it isn't that hard. The trick is to think everything will kill you (because it probably will).

A factotum with a some wands of cure and some of summon monster can do rather well.

Anecdote: I played an evil diplomancer bard who convinced a large group of children to walk through the first door (which was one of the false enterances, so it crushed them) as punishment on a town that kicked him out for burning down the town hall (while drunk).
    Last edited by BardicDuelist; 2008-01-05 at 09:16 PM.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Much advice exists for TOH.... really I recommend you see this.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The Summon Elemental reserve feat from CMage is really handy in ToH, for endless disposable minions. So is a rogue with maxed Disable Device, Open Lock and Search.
    RAR!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Guys, guys (and gals), you seem to forget that the OP is asking for advice on how to DM the Tomb of Horrors, not how to play it through.

To DM the Tomb of Horrors, you need one thing: a gargantuan sadism.
    "When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive." –Malkavian proverb

"From the tiny egg the great wyrm grows." –Kobold proverb

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDuelist View Post
    If you are cowardly and paranoid, you can do it okay. I reccomend the Recharge Magic system in the SRD as it has the distinct advantage of keeping this from being a rest-and-continue type of thing. Granted, this kind of makes a warlock useless.

Really, if you have somone who can heal, somone who can summon hordes of easy monsters to walk over traps, and somone with trapfinding, it isn't that hard. The trick is to think everything will kill you (because it probably will).

A factotum with a some wands of cure and some of summon monster can do rather well.

Anecdote: I played an evil diplomancer bard who convinced a large group of children to walk through the first door (which was one of the false enterances, so it crushed them) as punishment on a town that kicked him out for burning down the town hall (while drunk).
    Don't do that! The warlock player will read it and be prepared!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

wow...this made me laugh so loud...and I thinkI will actually DM a game like this...just to punish some of my "creative" players...
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post

Ring of Three Extremely Limited Wishes: Can only be used to bring back a character from the dead. Does not need a body to bring back, creates a new body exactly the same as the previous one. It does not, however, recreate items. If the items are destroyed, or otherwise unreachable, they are still destroyed/unreachable.

One of the players lost his ring before he had a chance to use it...it got destroyed by the demon head trap. Another had his melted in lava. ''What?! I'm falling towards a pool of lava?! Wait, I know! I'll cast chill metal on my armour!''

He didn't survive long enough to take cold damage.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*