New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Creating an Illithid class

Hey, I just whipped this up as a suggestion in the recruitment thread, and I thought I'd see what you all thought of it.

Spoiler
    Show

Illithid Base Racial Features

Ability Score Adjustment: +2 Int

Aberration Type: Illithids are aberrations. Thus, they are vulnerable to spells and effects that work on creatures of the aberration type but immune to effects that target other types. For example, an illithid would be subject to the extra damage from an aberration bane sword but immune to hold person, since that spell affects only humanoids.

Size: Illithids are medium size.

Speed: Illithids base land speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): An illithid has darkvision to a 60-foot range

Natural Weapons: 4 tentacles, 1d4 each

Improved Grab (Ex): As the Mind Flayer entry on page 187 of the MM.

Special Qualities: Telepathy 100'

Automatic languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages:Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Infernal, Terran.

Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass illithid's wizard class does not count when determining whether an experience point penalty applies.

Hit Die: d8

Illithid Racial Class Features

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Listen, Move Silently, Spot
    Skill points at 1st level: (2 + Int) x 4.
    Skill points at each additional level: 2 + Int.

Extract (Ex): As the Mind Flayer entry on page 187 of the MM.

Natural Armor: At 3rd level, the illithid gains natural armor of +1. At 7th level it's natural armor increases to +2. At 11th level it's natural armor increases to +3.

Psionics (Sp):
    At 3rd level, the illithid may use Detect Thoughts (caster level equals illithid's hit dice) at will.
    At 3rd level, the illithid may use Levitate (caster level equals illithid's hit dice) at will.
    At 5th level, the illithid may use Suggestion (caster level equals illithid's hit dice) at will.
    At 7th level, the illithid may use Charm Monster (caster level equals illithid's hit dice) at will.
    At 13th level, the illithid may use Plane Shift (caster level equals illithid's hit dice) at will.

Spell Resistance (Su): At 5th level, the illithid gains spell resistance equal to 8 + the character's hit dice. At 9th level, it's spell resistance increases to 12 + the character's hit dice. At 15th level, it's spell resistance increases to 17 + the character's hit dice.

Mind Blast (Sp): As the Mind Flayer entry on page 187 of the MM.

I think that's everything. Lemmie know if I missed something. I took the cue from this Savage Progression article. As for those level that don't offer anything, I took my cue from the Draconomicon, and how it handles dragons as PCs. You can check out the how they did it on page 142. I hope you guys like it!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Creating an Illithid class

There's already an Illithid monster class in Savage Species. Its basic racial traits are: +2 Int, 30ft. speed, darkvision 60ft., Language: Uncommon and Favoured Class: Mind Flayer. It gains 2 tentacles at 1st level, telepathy 10ft. at 2nd level etc.

Comparing the two, your illithid class looks a bit overpowered in the lower levels.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks good to me (not that I'm an expert on balance, no ranks and a dex penalty ), but I know there's also one to be found in Savage Specices. I don't have time to compare them, but that could be helpful. I'd be interested to see which one of those two players and DMs prefur.

Edit: Doh! Ninja'd!
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-01-11 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Pirate'd!
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Blast, all that work, and I've been beaten! I suppose now I'm gonna have to check Savage Species. Thanks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bag_of_Holding View Post

Comparing the two, your illithid class looks a bit overpowered in the lower levels.
    I would bet on a greataxe wielding barbarian of equivalent levels in the low levels in a fight or a wizard in the higher levels anyday.
    Last edited by Kaerou; 2008-01-11 at 08:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's a ton of Illithid material in Lords of Madness.

Also, I think this thread belongs in the Homebrew section.