New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Ioun Stone Protection

Okay, so we all know these Ioun stones will circle around the character in a 3ft circle. Some grant really extraordinary magic. Funnily enough, we're not going to be concerned with any of them. We want the dull gray ones.

Let's say you start out with 15000 gp. Dull gray Ioun stones cost 25 gp. This means you could conceivably have 600 stones. Think of the AC boost. Attacker would have to Break through the circle of stones in order to hurt you. Consequently, you couldn't attack either. Unless you were a caster, then you've got your own little portable sanctuary. Granted, you can still be hurt by Area spells and whatnot, but arrows are virtually harmless.

Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Ioun Stone Protection

Ion stones provide no protection against the faling rocks your DM will drop on you
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think this would help you all that much since all the stones need to be about 3 feet from your head. That means your entire lower body will be exposed.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

It works like this:

1) 1 Dull gray Ioun Stone grants 0 AC bonus.

2) Infinate Dull Gray Ioun Stones also grant 0 AC bonus.

My thoughts. Also, stop trying to kill catgirls.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

So..protection vs blunt force head trauma? >.>

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It's not terribly helpful, but they got rid of this type of ioun stone in 3.5.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I don't think this would help you all that much since all the stones need to be about 3 feet from your head. That means your entire lower body will be exposed.
    And there would be around 600 rocks blocking your vision.

But it might work if you are a halfling and measures less the 3 feet.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Still there, actually; burning out spell-absorbing stones still creates them. They just don't have a separate table entry any more.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    And there would be around 600 rocks blocking your vision.

But it might work if you are a halfling and measures less the 3 feet.
    This is kinda what I had in mind actually.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's always the issue that the stones will bang in to each other, and that you yourself will be distracted (hello, spinning objects all around your head?) and that your vision will be obscured.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

This is going on the list of stupid things that people think will work, but obviously won't.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder how long it would take someone to go insane if there were a light or continual flame cast on a dull gray...
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I wonder how long it would take someone to go insane if there were a light or continual flame cast on a dull gray...
    Actually, that sounds like a really good use for a Dull Gray... cast light (or CL) on it and have a hands-free light source.

I am STEALING that idea.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Still there, actually; burning out spell-absorbing stones still creates them. They just don't have a separate table entry any more.
    They don't have a listed cost for burnt-out stones, though. Finding hundreds of them could be problematic.

In any case, I've always seen ioun stones as being easy to knock out of the air, meaning that they wouldn't block any serious weapon attack.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

They don't have a listed cost for burnt-out stones, though. Finding hundreds of them could be problematic.

In any case, I've always seen ioun stones as being easy to knock out of the air, meaning that they wouldn't block any serious weapon attack.
    Well, considering that they have 10 hit points and a hardness of 5, weapon would have to do a lot of considerable damage to get past them to the halfling inside. Not to mention that they have an AC of 24. Picture slashing into a rolling orb of stones. With that high AC for an cheapo magic item, it could conceivably happen that they would merely, "roll with the punches" and no damage is given at all to the stones or the person "wearing" them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, they "roll with the punches" and the maul plows on through to the halfling under them...

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Actually, that sounds like a really good use for a Dull Gray... cast light (or CL) on it and have a hands-free light source.

I am STEALING that idea.
    That's essentially all they're good for... unless you can convince your DM that you can inscribe REALLY TINY explosive runes and sell the thing to your enemies.

One of my fighters had one. I kept thinking how annoying the little bugger would be.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is, you don't have to smash through them—you'd just need to knock them out of the air, or aside a bit. They're not at all hard to budge from their orbits. A club is just going to bat the stones aside on its way to the halfling in the center.

It's like trying to claim that a bead curtain is an impenetrable barrier.

You might be able to wrangle concealment out of it, but you'd suffer all the same drawbacks they would.

19. - Top - End - #19

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/basics.htm

Psionicists like them. A 1 point cognizance crystal costs 1000gp, but can be reused. Given that Dull Greys have value about on par with a 1st level scroll, by a 1st level caster (i.e. can only be used once, by those with the ability to access those powers normally), I would say that a reasonable cost would be equal to that of a 1st level scroll by a 1st level caster, or about 25gp. That it floats instead of residing in a scroll case is a bit of a wash... while more accessible, it is also more vulnerable.

Ioun stones have AC 24, 10 hit points, and hardness 5.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, they're still around, hidden in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, I believe. I don't know if it has the cost, but you psionic characters can suck one power point out of a dull gray ioun stone, and thus disintegrating it.

Gimme a minute and I'll find the price.

EDIT: Found them, but they don't have a price, and apparently I got ninja'd anyway.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-01-12 at 12:31 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

21. - Top - End - #21

That's essentially all they're good for... unless you can convince your DM that you can inscribe REALLY TINY explosive runes and sell the thing to your enemies.

One of my fighters had one. I kept thinking how annoying the little bugger would be.
    I'm somewhat influenced by "Rhialto the Marvellous." One of the characters in the book had spent several hundred (thousand?) alone with nothing but his IOUN stones (which absorbed spell levels, incidentally) and had named them. He had dozens.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2008-01-12 at 12:32 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #22

Ioun stones have AC 24, 10 hit points, and hardness 5.
    I think what was meant is that if you hold a steel plate in the path of an ioun stone, the thing doesn't just zip through it ripping a hole in the thing, it just makes a thunk and falls down.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

I think what was meant is that if you hold a steel plate in the path of an ioun stone, the thing doesn't just zip through it ripping a hole in the thing, it just makes a thunk and falls down.
    I read "a serious weapon attack" as attempting to play baseball with someone's head comets.
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #24

The thing is, you don't have to smash through them—you'd just need to knock them out of the air, or aside a bit. They're not at all hard to budge from their orbits. A club is just going to bat the stones aside on its way to the halfling in the center.
    Mr(s) Snark, how many bashes does it take to get to the halfling center of an Ioun stone pop?

Just One.

I think the AC/Hardness is irrelevant, as the stones aren't the target but an impediment thereto.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 2008-01-12 at 12:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

If you get enough of them, can a gnome use them as a platform to shot his crossbow from?
    If so, chalk up one more use for both ion stones and Gnomes.

26. - Top - End - #26

I read "a serious weapon attack" as attempting to play baseball with someone's head comets.
    Okay that's it. Time to create rules for Ioun Stone baseball.

@V I'm a computer programmer. I live my whole life with *klink* *fall down*, unfortunately.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2008-01-12 at 12:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

I'm still of the opinion that it wouldn't "fall down". Think of the asteroid belt. Are we do assume that when two asteroids smash into each other they will no longer be affected by the gravitational pull and will plummet straight down?

If someone held something in the way, chances are they would go around or change course. Not go *klink* and fall down.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    If someone held something in the way, chances are they would go around or change course. Not go *klink* and fall down.
    So what you're saying is that the stones would move to avoid the blow that is coming towards the halfling...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

No, they'd resist the obstruction in an effort to continue their orbit.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Mr(s) Snark, how many bashes does it take to get to the halfling center of an Ioun stone pop?

Just One.

I think the AC/Hardness is irrelevant, as the stones aren't the target but an impediment thereto.
    It would give concealment bonus to AC. Besides, where would you attack? How deep? You're looking at a 40-50% miss chance and even if you get a 9/10ths concealment - that's still a +10 concealment bonus to AC.