New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Rejuvenating Shield [Armor](PEACH)

I'm not much of a Halo fan, but Necromas's comment in the Gaming forum had me interested in making an armor enhancement like a Spartan's shield. So here's my first foray into the Homebrew forum:

Rejuvenating Shield, Lesser
    Price: +2 bonus
    Property: Armor
    Activation: --
    A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to the your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 1 point per round, beginning 2 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.
    Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, vigor

Rejuvenating Shield
    Price: +3 bonus
    A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to twice your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 2 points per round, beginning 2 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.

Too good? Not good enough? Suggestions for making it more like the Spartan II shield, or for making the language fit the D&D archtype would be appreciated as well. Note: the sentence about the temp HP only being lost from attacks/spells/falls is to prevent it from making forced marches easy.

All comments are appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Rejuvenating Shield [Armor](PEACH)

Very cool ... it's interesting though, that it provides temporary hit points. based on the name, i'd expect it to just heal as it goes ... adding hit points, well, that might make it worth more than a +2/+3 bonus. i'm no expert though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Now this is cool.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbert View Post
    Very cool ... it's interesting though, that it provides temporary hit points. based on the name, i'd expect it to just heal as it goes ... adding hit points, well, that might make it worth more than a +2/+3 bonus. i'm no expert though.
    For most intents and purposes, they're a pool of temporary HP that replenish themselves between battles, and are always on.

For most purposes, yes, it's extra HP. That +1 Lesser Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 9,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +2 Amulet of Health (4,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the item.

The +1 Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 16,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +4 Amulet of Health (16,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the effect.

The Lesser version should probably be about +3, normal +5.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    For most intents and purposes, they're a pool of temporary HP that replenish themselves between battles, and are always on.

For most purposes, yes, it's extra HP. That +1 Lesser Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 9,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +2 Amulet of Health (4,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the item.

The +1 Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 16,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +4 Amulet of Health (16,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the effect.

The Lesser version should probably be about +3, normal +5.
    Thanks a lot for recalculating the price.

I'd like to make this a little cheaper (thus a viable enhancement), since at +5 it's far less helpful than equivalent +5 enhancements, like Heavy Fortification. I certainly wouldn't pay +5 worth of enhancement for at most 40 extra HP that didn't require healing to refill. With that in mind, would it be a good idea to have the temp HP not stack? Should they refill more slowly? Or would something else work to that end?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I wouldn't count it as the same price as an amulet of health, since the amulet also gives you a bonus on fort saves. The restoration on the other hand, would probably cost a lot more.

I'll ride the middle ground and say +2 and +4.

Edit: I'll also ask: not stack with what? By default I'm pretty sure temporary hp usually doesn't stack. If you meant with enhancement bonuses to con, those aren't temporary (though you probably know that), so I don't see why they shouldn't stack.

Another comparison that could be made: the minor shapeshift reserve feat lets you take a swift action to give yourself temporary hp equal to your caster level, that last for 1 round per level of the highest level polymorph spell you have available. I don't know what that would mean for price, but it might be helpful.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2008-01-13 at 12:14 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7

Edit: I'll also ask: not stack with what? By default I'm pretty sure temporary hp usually doesn't stack. If you meant with enhancement bonuses to con, those aren't temporary (though you probably know that), so I don't see why they shouldn't stack.
    With those granted by a barbarian's rage, numerous spells/powers, the feat Stone Power, etc. By default they usually don't stack.

Edit: Fixed.

Another comparison that could be made: the minor shapeshift reserve feat lets you take a swift action to give yourself temporary hp equal to your caster level, that last for 1 round per level of the highest level polymorph spell you have available. I don't know what that would mean for price, but it might be helpful.
    There's also the Heartening Property from XPH/SRD and MIC (different in each). Thanks for mentioning this one.
    Last edited by Chronicled; 2008-01-13 at 02:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Barbarian Rage hp aren't considered temporary hitpoints. They don't get any special treatment and they're as real as if you'd got a Bear's Endurance cast on you.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #9

Ah, thanks. Fixed now.

(Still looking for advice.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I like this. It's very fitting. Would the HP from an Aid spell stack?
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

11. - Top - End - #11

As written, yes. I'm hoping that some of the more experienced homebrewers can chime in with advice; depending on what they say it may change.

12. - Top - End - #12

No more advice makes Chronicled a sad homebrewer.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Consider making it armor since it protects the whole body, rather than a shield (which is worn on the arm).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Consider making it armor since it protects the whole body, rather than a shield (which is worn on the arm).
    Um, while the name is Rejuvenating Shield, the description says "Armor." I thought it sounded better than Rejuvenating Bubble, which was all I could think of at the moment.

15. - Top - End - #15

One last bump for advice/critique.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Have you considered adding another round to the recharge? Two rounds(12 seconds) can be a quick time, especially if your AC means your not getting hit that often. Three rounds(18 seconds) is just long enough to cancel out "luck" heals.

+2 and +4 sounds about right for the enchantment(With a three round recharge). Since the actual amount of HP added is so small I'd say it works out better.

17. - Top - End - #17

That sounds like a decent enough change. Here's the edited versions:

Rejuvenating Shield, Lesser
    Price: +2 bonus
    A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to the your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 1 point per round, beginning 3 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.

Rejuvenating Shield
    Price: +4 bonus
    A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to twice your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 2 points per round, beginning 3 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicled View Post
    Um, while the name is Rejuvenating Shield, the description says "Armor." I thought it sounded better than Rejuvenating Bubble, which was all I could think of at the moment.
    Right you are, my mistake. Carry on.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.