New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Basing a campaign of a book... good or bad?

Ok so I just read a series of books that would make an awesome campaign. I would have to tweak it to DnD rules but it could work.

Anyways, if I know that none of my players would have read any of the books would it still be a good idea?

If anyone has read it the books are the Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey. The campaign would be coming from the mage storms books mainly.

Good? Bad? Any ideas to help the campaign even?
    Anyone who says sunshine brings you happiness has never danced in the rain

If you are the one to make this avatar, let me know! I don't remember who it is anymore

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Basing a campaign of a book... good or bad?

It's good. If your players haven't read it, then it's great to pull in an outside source of some kind. I'm basing an entire civilization in my game on the prince of persia games for the Ps2.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by HealthKit View Post
    Friends don't let friends play gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    "Yo no hablo ingles. YO HABLO BURNINATION Y FIERY APOCALYPSE FROM THE SKY. BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald View Post
    Well, I know from experience that molotov halflings do 2d6.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Try, however, not to rehash the book plot. If you're going to make use of the setting, fine, but too close to the book plot, and it's very easy to railroad to a great extent. Base the setting/ideas, but don't recreate.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2008-01-16 at 11:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The real trick is to base your campaign off of a couple books, so it has a bunch of proven good ideas, but it also something new at the same time.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've tried basing worlds off of things like books. I've had bad experience with it, but maybe that's my lack of skill/luck.
    Seth's Signature v2.2 Now with 33% less fat!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
    Why do people read these things anyway?
    Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to throw in your two cents? Somebody's making a penny here...
    AAA (Amazingly Awesome Avatar) by Bloddyredcommie

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfClericGuy

Nothing wrong with it. Use the books setting or basic plot lines for ideas and change them around to make them your own. The more experience you get with world building and story telling the less you will need to lean on books movies or what ever. However pritty much every GM has read a book or wached a movie and thought to himself that would be a cool story idea for gaming.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Better than basing a book off your campaign.

*casts Protection Against Dragonlance Fans*
    *...and " against Lodoss War Fans while he's at it.

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with taking a setting from a published book. Now, don't expect your campaign's plot to be the same as the books; even if you plan it that way, things will turn out differently, because you'll have different characters and different authors (your players). You can even use the same setup and jumping-off point for your plot, but the players will do things differently, so be prepared and don't just railroad them through the script. No different from any other campaign, really.

Have any of your players read the applicable books?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-01-17 at 01:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I find the variant "E6" D&D rules match most fantasy literature much better than standard D&D does. You might want to look into that.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2008-01-17 at 01:50 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #10

Heh yeah, Iku Rex is right. Shamus Young did it, and it was awesome, but then again, all of that awesomness is just us laughing at the poor DM as the entire plotline is consistantly and utterly destroyed by his players. Take heed, indeed.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    But seriously, there's nothing wrong with taking a setting from a published book. Now, don't expect your campaign's plot to be the same as the books; even if you plan it that way, things will turn out differently, because you'll have different characters and different authors (your players). You can even use the same setup and jumping-off point for your plot, but the players will do things differently, so be prepared and don't just railroad them through the script. No different from any other campaign, really.
    I'll agree with this. Feel free to take the villains and villaninous plots from the books, but not the heroes reactions.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I've never had severe problems. I've run Mercedes Lackey Campaigns, using psionics though, and they worked out well. Magic has to be messed around with though. Sorcerors are more useful and believable.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on the book. Some settings, even good ones wouldn't make sense for a campaign setting.

A Dr. Seuss Campaign for instance probably isn't going to work. (Though if it could that would have much potential for awesome. Or insanity. Like there's a difference.)

You're the best judge of that though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

A Dr. Seuss Campaign for instance probably isn't going to work. (Though if it could that would have much potential for awesome. Or insanity. Like there's a difference.)
    I would not eat them with a wererat, I would not eat them in a dungeon. I would not eat them in a Forcecage, I would not eat them with an animal companion. I will not eat Prestidigitationed Eggs and Ham. I do not like them, DM-I-am!
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

A game based on Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea setting? Yep, that could work. One based on Upton Sinclair's The Jungle? Not so much. (Well, the theme might work in Eberron, but I'm not really a fan of that setting anyway).

In all seriousness, basing a campaign off of a book can be fine, as long as you remember one thing - base it on the setting, and not the exact plot, because your player's will find some way to screw your plans up.

(Of course, now I sort of want to do an Earthsea game, provided I can find a good truename magic system.)
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium