New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Soloing The Tomb

If you were going to solo the Tomb of Horrors, how would you do it? Assume you can have two extra levels above typical starting for ToH as a saving grace and as a reward for having the chutzpah to try it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Soloing The Tomb

I am afraid I have not ran through the tomb, so I cannot help with specifics, but I'm thinking some Zilla with Leadership cheese may very well be what your looking for.

With druids you could craft a 4 person party from but one character.
    Last edited by Yami; 2008-01-24 at 07:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

My gut reaction is to say "Factotum" ... wouldn't that be thematically most appropriate? And yet it's not a bad choice, either. Maybe could be outdone by some well-optimized CoDzilla, but it's probably the best class for this "out-of-the-box."

Oh, but this is one instance where I wouldn't hesitate to go "cheesy" and throw all of my feats into Fount of Inspiration.

Swordsage could be adept at this sort of thing too, perhaps. At least if the player is already familiar with the Tomb and knows when to turn on Stealth Mode.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2008-01-24 at 07:01 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it depends how you define "complete" and whether or not you have prior knowledge of the Tomb. Frankly, if you've read the adventure, the Tomb's not all that hard.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

What level are people supposed to do the Tomb in? I wonder if a level 20 Fighter might have problems, if we disallow UMD and Leadership.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

If the DM is nice, I would go to the WoTC board of character optimization. If the DM is cruel, I would go to the WoTC board of theoretical character optimization.

Anyway, more seriously: As I haven't run through it, what is the starting level?
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Roll a big rock in front of you at all times. If the rock is big enough then you won't have too much trouble with traps.
    Awesome avatar by Threeshades. And the funny sig by sparkey477
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

(Dwarf) cleric with stone shape and (if necessary) stone wall. Oh a hidden door I can't open? Well, let me just toss the earth aside! Bypassed! A trap, you say? Oh, I'll just encase that in solid rock. Break enchantment also helps, and ensure you have enough spells to be able to target every save and mook archetype you can think of. Make lots of search checks. Dispel magic is also your friend.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce_LeRue View Post
    Make lots of search checks.
    Actually, since you're the only one? Gets some ranks in search and take 20.

Every square. Why not? It's your life on the line and no one to pull your bacon out of the fire.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Astral projection.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plenty of twenty foot poles, rope, several torches and lanterns, pieces of parchment to make maps and take notes on and writing implements, and a few kegs of potent explosive if such a thing is available.
    As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall know no fear, for i have three lives remaining and god mode enabled.

Pastry Chef of the Lord Shojo Fanclub

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd go Spellthief 12, abusing Rope Trick (Extended if neccesary) and UMD to keep myself alive. Carry a wand of Dispel Magic... Probably a Halfling with Tactile Trapsmith. The weapon would be some sort of throwing weapon with Returning and Spell Storing, while the armor would be a mithril chain shirt with... let's say Spell Resistance 13, Shadow, and Silent Moves. I don't see any harm in dipping for a wand of invisibility, every bit counts... Feats are rather scarce... I think I can afford a lesser Extend Metamagic rod, for the Rope Trick. Perhaps a friend in the form of a purchased Ogre Effigy, repaired by Repair Light Damage? Can't go without the panic buttons, either: several of the escaping variety. And, of course, a scroll of antimagic field for the lich.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Well, it depends how you define "complete" and whether or not you have prior knowledge of the Tomb. Frankly, if you've read the adventure, the Tomb's not all that hard.
    Yeah. The main dangers of the Tomb are all the incredibly arbitrary and lethal traps scattered through it, which are virtually impossible to bypass safely without prior knowledge. If you do have prior knowledge, though, they aren't all that hard to find loopholes in.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Be a Warlock. Get two envocations that let you detect and dispel magic. Do this every five feet.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

15. - Top - End - #15

Go Pun-Pun?

What is the normal starting level for the Tomb of Horrors?
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Normal's 10, so you get to go 12.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Be a Warlock. Get two envocations that let you detect and dispel magic. Do this every five feet.
    Don't forget to summon something about of your weight and height to walk in this five feet first, so to see if there is any mechanical traps.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Warlocks can detect magic at will by second level, and voracious dispel damages whatever is subject to its cleansing influence. Not only are the magic traps thwarted, but easily visible due to the plume of smoke.

Change of plan: Enough levels of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, the rest Warlock. Take Tomb-Tainted Soul, for flavor and infinite heals. Take Supernatural Ability for the Eldritch Blast so the few combats aren't hindered by SR. Baleful Utterance for every door before you come within 60 feet of it. Fell Flight to avoid touching anything, and a portable hole full of dead animals so you can bait traps with The Dead Walk.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I suggest Thrallherd. Use your Kobold Cleric with Kobold Domain thrall search for traps, while you back him up with an army of believers to actualy try the doors and hallways. If they die, so what? More show up tommorow.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would play a 12 level bureaucrat.

I would initiate a work order to have the top of the tomb removed, then issue a no-bid contract for demi-lich removal :-)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, solo? As in, no klunky, awkward Bigs around to give away my position? Great, my rogue can sneak through unhindered (checking for traps every five feet, of course).

Mind you, I'm not familiar with the Tomb beyond the well-known fact that it's full of traps.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Wait, solo? As in, no klunky, awkward Bigs around to give away my position? Great, my rogue can sneak through unhindered (checking for traps every five feet, of course).

Mind you, I'm not familiar with the Tomb beyond the well-known fact that it's full of traps.
    It's been decade(s) since I've seen tomb, but as I recall it was seriously old-school. Full of traps that were impossible to find and insta-killed you. It was really, really ridiculous for the level of party you were expected to take in.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I think a level 12 rogue with maxed dungeoneering skills should be able to handle most of the traps. As far as taking on the boss himself, I think just getting to him is good enough. Prior knowledge will be necessary here, but I think its doable.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedSorcererGirl

Lightbulb Re: Soloing The Tomb

Use a character with the Summon Elemental reserve feat from CM. That gives you continuous elementals to have step on squares to trigger traps, go through doorways before you, and so on. Earth Elementals can also Earth Glide through most surfaces, allowing you to check for secret doors or nearby rooms through walls. Make sure you speak Terran so your Earth Elemental can tell you what it sees.

25. - Top - End - #25

PirateGuy

Having run a party of six level 9 characters (partway) through the Tomb (we ran out of time, they made it pretty far tho) most of the above suggestions would be effective. Honestly, a moderately cheesed wizard who just flies everywhere would bypass more than half the traps.

And yes, "old school" is the word to describe it, if by "old school" you mean the school of D&D where everyone dies, all the time, for no good reason.

And sometimes, for good measure, your gender changes.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

So... that'd be what, level 11?

At that level you're dealing with 6th level spells .... 7th, with a Candle of Invocation and a Cleric. Hmm.... ah, I know - a Gnome (to start small, for becoming medium later - the dungeon is not designed with Large people in mind) Cleric with Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) and a good selection of Persisted buffs - something from the Vigor line for healing, Find Traps (with Cross-class ranks in Search), Divine Power, Righteous Might, Divine Favor... we'll need a lot of nightsticks... and a Bead of Karma, can't forget the Bead of Karma ... yes....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I wouldn't go in with anything less than a 21st level batman wizard demilich.

Felius: XD
    So would I!
    Last edited by GoC; 2008-01-24 at 08:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

A human Dread Necromancer 1 / Warlock 10 / Paragnostic Apostle 1.
    Feats:
    1. Tomb-Tainted Soul turns Charnel Touch into Infinite Healing
    1. Battle Caster works for both classes, and there's no arguing with the extra protection.
    3. Supernatural Ability (Eldritch Blast) because I hate SR.
    6. Heighten Spell-Like Ability (Baleful Utterance) to ensure things break when you want them broke.
    9. Force of Personality lets you dump Wisdom, because you won't need to see anything coming because you're too paranoid not to burn the bridges.
    12. Improved Flight, because you're going to need to 180 eventually.

Invocations:
    3 Least:
    Baleful Utterance to kill the Demilich and bust down doors/traps.
    See The Unseen because the Unseen will kill you dead.
    Miasmic Cloud for concealment and choking vipers.
    3 Lesser:
    Voracious Dispel because you need to dispel things.
    Fell Flight because the last thing you want to touch is anything in the Tomb of Horrors.
    The Dead Walk to put that Portable Hole full of guard dogs to use.
    1 Greater:
    Eldritch Cone so that you can deal with multiple opponents.

Edit: Apostle KiP: Penetrating Insight

Essential Items:
    Warlock's Scepter isn't so much essential, but it makes your life a whole lot easier.
    Mithril Breastplate enchanted with SR X to make things harder for whatever spell is heading your way.
    Vest of Resistance +4 because saving throws are a must and you'll need the slot a Cloak of Resistance would take for:
    Cloak of Charisma +4 improves everything you do.
    To round it out, we'll toss in a pair of Gloves of Dexterity, and an Amulet of Health to help the subpar hp and Fort saves.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Head View Post
    Roll a big rock in front of you at all times. If the rock is big enough then you won't have too much trouble with traps.
    This isn't really true. Why is it, when people think of traps, they always come up with solutions for pit traps, pressure plates, and nothing else?

That rock won't help you at all against
    Spoiler
    Show
    the entire corridor that drops you in lava when you're halfway through it, the sphere of annihilation, the archway, the key/crown of death, the statue, the fake ending, that antigravity pillar chamber, the acid, the fake entrances... really, it won't help you against anything but a handful of pit traps near the beginning.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vow of peace/nonviolence. If I recall correctly, there are only two "living" things in there. You'll have to find another way around them.
    Anyone who said anything is foolproof obviously underestimated the resourcefulness of complete idiots.

Spoiler
    Show

OFFICIAL DEFENDER OF MONKS, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL!

Current characters:
    -Wild Elf Warlock
    -Orc Dragon Shaman

Shameless Plug! Help us grow!