New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Should I be a DM?

Note: This isn't really a serious question as such...just me wondering how many limbs I'm going to have left at the end of the campaign...

I am creating a DnD 3.5 edition campaign and so far in my DM plotline, I have written "Do not laugh. It will get you lynched" or a similar variation more than 5 times.
    I'm only halfway through.
    I have done things intentionally to make the players jumpy, then had nothing come of it, and then the next time had something happen.
    Basically, I've done my utmost to make sure the characters have no idea which way I'm going to go, just to see their faces.

Normally I'm not a sadistic person, but...

Obviously I should never be allowed this kind of power ever again.

Opinions anyone?
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Should I be a DM?

Yes, yes you should be a DM. DMs and sadism go together like mass and gravity.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Join the club:

The Sadistic Dungeon Master's Syndicate

Having a god complex is just one of the thing's which makes DMing fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I can attest that not being sadistic makes DMing harder.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Do your players enjoy it? If yes, then there's no problem, and if no, well, at least you can make them DANCE for your merriment.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like fine DM material to me.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I often throw battles at my players that are more difficult than CR-appropriate. They manage to come out on top each time and so far have not experienced any significantly demoralizing encounters.

Despite the seriousness of my campaign, however, I found it impossible to keep my players from finding things funny or poking fun at the situation they were in, except perhaps that time I had the city guard throwing them in jail for the supposed murder of their deceased party member who had been plotkilled due to her player quitting.

It was after an adventure in the woods, wherein they encountered a Zhentarim (evil Forgotten Realms organization) caravan. A high-level Warblade engaged their party single-handedly and murdered their leader (a swashbuckler/fighter who was affiliated with the military of the kingdom that had hired the other players). The party had successfully chased the Warblade off and was walking back to the kingdom's capital, all bereaved. When they got to the city gate, I asked the players if they wanted the curveball plot hook and not the mundane one. They all screamed in unison "YES, CURVEBALL!"

<Me>: The guard at the gate calmly regards you for a moment and closes the door. A few minutes later the gate rumbles open. The guard is now accompanied by a heavily-armed squad of soldiers.
    "In the name of King Azoun of Cormyr, you are under arrest for the murder of Milica Illancet of the Purple Dragons."

They literally looked like this:

My point is, there really is nothing wrong with being "sadistic," especially if your players enjoy it. (Which brings up some strange questions I'd rather not discuss). In any case, I hope you and your players enjoy what you've come up with. Godspeed to you.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2008-01-28 at 12:16 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

*slowclap* Filler

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, not my personal style, but it's undeniably effective if your players are desperate or plucky enough (yay! a legitimate opportunity to use 'plucky'!) to withstand your constant impulses to drop rocks on them.

Look up Gary Gygax's work, it'll help as a reference.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

In one campaign our DM gave us a full dungoen and a half without any encounters.

The first was an abandoned two story tall mansion with some 20 rooms. The second was some necromancers lair. We got sloppy half way through the necromancers lair and spent three days holed up in the most fortified room we could find while we prepared ourselves for the mad dash back out.

It can be good.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Hate is what motivates every good DM.

I try to make sure that I'm only tormenting characters and not players though. You don't want to have players leave the game feeling upset, unless you actually don't want them to come back next week.

The way I like to do things is to torment them for 95% of the game, but let each session end on a high note. And I don't really do this to make them suffer but to make the story better. I'd rather see the PCs overcome a meaningful challenge that kicked their ass repeatedly than win everything on their first try (though I do let them win when they earn it).
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've played Eeeeevil DM, been cruel to the characters, stripped them bare of their precious magical items, beaten them with lower level characters, thrown them in jail, betrayed them, sent them off on unbelievable quests set-up by the BBEG just to get them out of the way, sent them monsters they shouldn't be capable of handling, asked them 3 times: "are you sure you want to do that?" just to keep them off their toes and thousands of other horrible things.

I've also played a nicer campaign, where the tone was more heroic and light-hearted...

Guess what they talk about years later?
    They refer to them as "the best campaign we ever had" and "the care-bear campaign".

But one thing... Don't make fun of them! There is nothing more hateful than a DM going "hahaha!" when you are trapped in a room, trying your best to solve the puzzle and escape with your life.