New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default 'zerai or 'yanki, opinions on Giths

I'm considering playing one of the Gith races for my next character, but am completely undecided as to which one.

Though 'Zerai have insane Dex and a constant effect Mage Armour, they don't have as good Psionic powers (using the non-psionic Spell-Like abilities as listed in the MM) as the 'Yanki. Also, they have the monastic surly attitude thing going as well. On the other hand, the 'Yanki have the whole Lich-Queen slaves thing working against their favour and don't have as good physical stats.

So I was looking for peeps opinions on these two races that share a common heritage...both from fluff and mechanical perspecitives.

Cheers for any help you can give.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 'zerai or 'yanki, opinions on Giths

Mechanically, the githzerai are way better for a DEX-based character or a druid; a typical cleric is not so great because neither the DEX nor the inertial armor synergize well with real armor, but a cleric that doesn't wear a ton of armor could do just fine. At any rate, there's no way the githyanki could work as a cleric and the fluff explicitly says so.

The githyanki's SLAs aren't that great; the dim door is good, but it and the [i]blur/i] SLA probably don't make up for +4 DEX unless you're playing a non-DEX-based melee'er.

Bottom line: the githzerai is just amazing as a rogue, unarmed swordsage, or druid, particularly the latter two. Unless you're playing a non-DEX based melee character or an arcane caster, the githyanki doesn't even begin to cut it, and why you would play an arcane caster with either of these races is beyond me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

...It would really depend on the class. Githzerai are more fitting for divine casters with the Wis boost, but anything else I'd say Githyanki. Inertial Armor doesn't stack with meatshield armor, the Githyanki psionics are all great for trap monkeys, and the Githzerai Int penalty is bad for the Batman. Besides, the lich queen sending kill squads after your character would make a nice plot hook and, let's face it, easy XP. After all, since when can a squad of Fighters take on a PC with matching powers and superior gear, let alone a Batman with inate SR or a master assassin with TK?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I appear to have lost my book on the subject, but I remember thinking the ones with the inertial armor would make for great monks, or pretty much any spellcaster class. Rogue, too, if you're going more for an infiltrator than a sneak. The other guys seemed sub-par, comparatively.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote githzerai.

Notice that the only positive mentioned for 'yankis is that the kill squads are easy xp, and some vague stuff about their powers. There are specific examples of why the githzerai would be better.

Just my observation.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

'zerai for nothing else but Dakkon.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

'Zerai are cooler fluffwise, I'd rather be a monk creating order out of the ultimate chaos using my brain than a pawn of some undead chick (even if riding dragons is involved).
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Don't push off the githyanki death squads so lightly. It's not a group of four melee types lookin for a rumble, it's an intergrated party usually with one caster, one gish (or rogue), and two melee types. And that has only gotten more frightening since PHB II came out. I fear the Beguiler or Duskblade party members of a radically xenophobic race of extraplanar humanoids.

They don't belong here! Kill, kill them all!

(I'm channeling for my party. In my campaign I've had the githyanki invade the prime material, and try to take over. So far, the githyanki are doing quite well.)

oh yeah......ya want to see something funny. Wait until the party gets good and buffed up.....and then hit them with Chain Dispel (PHB II). Ah, the beautiful music of wailing, and the gnashing of teeth.
    Famous Last Words: "Aww, cm'on, we can take 'em!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Avenger View Post
    Don't push off the githyanki death squads so lightly.
    Note also that an old school GM will remember that the gankers have a racial pact with red dragons (AD&D MM p.154).

Classes mentioned include, fighter, mage, fighter/mage, illusionist, knight (anti-paladin), warlock (just a title for mage really), and 'gish' (fighter/mage). This is, in fact, the origin of the term 'gish' in D&D. So you could reasonably expect to face any primary melee class, knights, blackguards, any gish build, any gish style base class, wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks. Mounted on up to two red dragons per encounter.

And don't think you're getting treasure from those dragons either. The pact explicitly excludes them fighting to the death. For that matter gankers aren't exactly dumb brutes either, they won't hang around if they're losing the fight. Expect them to retreat, gather more intel on you, and come back later.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The zerai make great rogues, ninjas and other dex-based fighters. I hate having an Int penalty with them though.

The guy in my avatar is a githzerai psychic warrior. With an insane Dex, and a good Wis, he uses a monk's belt along with inertial armour to have the same AC as the dwarvern defender on a good day.

If you can, use the psionic versions. That way the abilities scale with level. Not great if you've only got one HD, but the long term benefits are greater.
    Many thanks to JasonDoomsblade for the avatar.

Well done. You found this secret part of my signature. Does it make you feel like a big man?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

depends, a non meatshield would fit the 'zerai racials, but the 'yanki have that whole silver sword thing

gotta go with the one some random kid that waits for you to go to sleep or rigs a distraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    'zerai for nothing else but Dakkon.
    Know that I agree with cnsvnc.

Perhaps it's just residual affection from Torment, but the Githzerai do strike me as being the cooler of the two. "We were a slave race, so now we strive for absolute self-mastery" strikes me as cool. "We were a slave race so now we rampage around killing stuff" strikes me as less so.

13. - Top - End - #13

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Hemmens View Post
    Know that I agree with cnsvnc.

Perhaps it's just residual affection from Torment, but the Githzerai do strike me as being the cooler of the two. "We were a slave race, so now we strive for absolute self-mastery" strikes me as cool. "We were a slave race so now we rampage around killing stuff" strikes me as less so.
    To fair, it depends what sort of Yanki you are. Githyanki out to overthrow their insane Lich Demigoddess are also cool.
    The United Federation of Charles: Video Games, Books, and Movie reviews by a quirky writer.
    http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Phipps View Post
    To fair, it depends what sort of Yanki you are. Githyanki out to overthrow their insane Lich Demigoddess are also cool.
    ... because they quickly float dead through the astral plane.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show