New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Permanent Deaths?

Beyond various "trap the soul" magics, what effects / spells kill a character such that only a true resurrection or wish / miracle / resurrection combo brings them back? All I've found so far is death by old age and destruction. Non-SRD material is fine if you identify the source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Permanent Deaths?

Unnaming from Tome of Magic does it.

A couple of spells in the spell compendium do it as well. Blackfire for one.

Making the body cease to exist stops everything except True Res.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Death+Thaunian+ one of the various means of soul destruction found in the Book of Vile Darkness= Irrevocable demise!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Frost Dragon's breath from the Bestiary of Krynn (Dragonlance Campaign Setting). Its breath deals 1 point of Cha damage for each age category of the dragon on a failed Fort save. If the creature's Cha drops to 0 in this way, he's erased from existence completely. No wish, no true resurrection, because the entire world forgets he existed. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. They're mostly monster abilities and not spells.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Sphere of Annihilation does the job so well that only deific magic can bring the character back. If you don't want to bring in artifacts, you can use voidstones from the negative energy plane, which are essentially just raw, uncontrollable spheres of annihilation.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Flesh to stone + Stone to mud + throw mud into sea. If you never actually died you cant be brought back short of a miracle.

Barghest consume ability

Undeadify them, shove the resulting skelton into a big lead ball. Sequester permenantly. Throw into the negative energy plane.

Kill them and raise them over and over with different dominated good clerics till they loose all their levels. Then stop worrying about the level 1 wizard with 2 Con. Either they are still interested in getting raised in which case you can pummel them back down again or they're too paranoid that you're trying to sucker them into coming back and refuse all resus attempts.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Harvester of Souls is the non-spellcaster's way to do it. Works a lot like the barghest's Feed ability, in that even Wish/Miracle/True Resurrection may not work.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

There's a Reaping Spell metamagic feat that does the job in Champions of Ruin. Even True Resurrection has only a 50% chance of working with that one.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you draw the Void in th Deck of Many things, or are killed by Death than that does the trick pretty well.

I had a high powered prison which locked people up rather than kill them so that they couldn't be resurrected. Something like it the Oots comic.

Willing not to return to the world of the living is a good one for NPCs that you really want to be dead and not temporarily out of the game.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Cast imprisonment in a temporary location like a portable hole or a rope trick.
    They'll never have a chance of being freed, but are still technically alive.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oooh. That's sneaky. Then destroy the portable hole.

That's very sneaky. In fact, traveling to the moon or some other object, then casting imprisonment would work, assuming you exploded the moon afterwards.

"That's no moon!"
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    Oooh. That's sneaky. Then destroy the portable hole.

That's very sneaky. In fact, traveling to the moon or some other object, then casting imprisonment would work, assuming you exploded the moon afterwards.

"That's no moon!"
    If detroying hte moon is no problem for you, why is it such a concern for them to not come back to life? You may as well just hold their soul in one of your many pockets.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

True Mindswitch them with a Shadow Conjuration or Simulacrum then dismiss the illusion. Their body does not die-but their soul fades along with the illusion. Since the illusion body was never alive, when it fades it can't be ressurected.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Flesh to stone + Stone to mud + throw mud into sea. If you never actually died you cant be brought back short of a miracle.
    You died. True Res can bring you back, same as normal.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    You died. True Res can bring you back, same as normal.
    Flesh to Stone does not actually kill you. Stone to Flesh can (if you fail the DC 15 Fort save) but Flesh to Stone leaves you alive.

Transmute Rock to Mud also does not kill, nor does it deal damage to its subject.

He's not dead at this stage.

Purify Water also does not kill the subject - but now it's not Mud, it's water.

Technically, he's never actually killed... he's just transmuted and scattered all to gone.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barghest's Feast from the Spell Compendium has a 50% chance of destroying the soul of any corpse it's cast on, and even if it doesn't it destroys the body utterly, requiring a True Resurrection.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hopefully I won't be ninja'd, but Necrotic Termination from the Libris Mortis makes it so that Raise Dead, Resurrection, True Resurrection, Wish and Miracle cannot bring them back.

Pretty powerful spell, I must say.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

You could keep the body. In a jar.
    Or does True Resurrectoin circumvent that requirement? I forget.
    But put the jar in an Antimagic field.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Barghest consume ability
    There's a +1 LA goblin planetouched with this, too. Eating a body normally would also prevent normal ressurection, but not true (whereas the ability feed has a 50% chance).

A great way of killing your enemies: be a warforged, killoren, or other no-age limit race. Hide. Your enemies died of old age.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Parvum View Post
    There's a +1 LA goblin planetouched with this, too. Eating a body normally would also prevent normal ressurection, but not true (whereas the ability feed has a 50% chance).

A great way of killing your enemies: be a warforged, killoren, or other no-age limit race. Hide. Your enemies died of old age.
    Bravest of the Brave, Brave Sir Robin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, waiting patiently is a valid tactic.
    It's the only way I'll ever win a game of chess.
    De fault. The two greatest words in the English language.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Flesh to Stone does not actually kill you. Stone to Flesh can (if you fail the DC 15 Fort save) but Flesh to Stone leaves you alive.

Transmute Rock to Mud also does not kill, nor does it deal damage to its subject.

Technically, he's never actually killed... he's just transmuted and scattered all to gone.
    You could also then travel to the Elemental Plane of Plants (if there is one; I'm not familiar with D&D cosmology) and scatter the water everywhere to make it harder to gather up the water that used to be the character, since you aren't allowed to do stuff like teleport parts of creatures out and the water would now be part of random plants scattered through an infinite plane.

Frosty: What exactly is 4chan anyways? An image board? What does /u/ stand for?

Kamikasei: May I touch you? I wish to share some part of your innocence, as though you were a relic, or holy man.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post

He's never subjected to ability or HP damage; He has been rent and torn in half. He's quite dead, RAW be damned. I know the combo, you don't need to explain it to me.

If you drink the water, he is subjected to damage from your stomach acid, as a note, and will die normally.
    Last edited by Rutee; 2008-02-18 at 10:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

On the FtS+StM combo:
    Yeah, this is another element where some people need to have everything stated clearly in the RAW or else they do not believe that you cannot perform actions when you're dead or that you don't lose all the benefits of Dragon Disciple when reaching the tenth level in the class.

I wonder does the fandom of other RPG games face this problem too, by the way.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

On the Flesh to Stone thing: You can interpret any damage done to the stone as killing them, yes, but... why?

This seems to fall into a different category than obvious rules nitpicks like not being able to take actions while dead. I've always seen petrification as somewhere between life and death; you don't age, and nothing permanently harms you until the spell is reversed.

When the spell is broken, of course, you'd die if not in a state capable of supporting life. If you were a shattered statue, you could be pieced back together with magic, and then un-petrified, and remain alive.

Not that it has to be interpreted that way, of course, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to rule that that's the way it works, and comparing it to obvious rules flaws like being unable to act while dead really isn't fair.

Have you ever read a myth or story in which a transmuted person is shattered or otherwise scattered, then re-collected, reshaped and returned to life only once that had been done? I know I have.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    On the Flesh to Stone thing: You can interpret any damage done to the stone as killing them, yes, but... why?
    If they aren't dead, you can't ressurect them.
    If their body is alive, but irrevocably scattered, you'll never worry about them again.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity_Biscuit View Post
    You could also then travel to the Elemental Plane of Plants (if there is one; I'm not familiar with D&D cosmology)
    There is a plane for everything. Everything. There is a plane for magma, for oozes (oozes, for crying out loud!), itching powder...

There is probably a plane of things that complain about an arbitrary amount of planes.

...I'm going to make a template of that now.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Is there a Plain Plane Plane, plain empty of everything but Plain Planes?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Have you ever read a myth or story in which a transmuted person is shattered or otherwise scattered, then re-collected, reshaped and returned to life only once that had been done? I know I have.
    Have they been turned to mud in any of those? Because it's here where the spell combo gets fuzzy.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2008-02-18 at 11:51 PM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

30. - Top - End - #30

There is probably a plane of things that complain about an arbitrary amount of planes.

Best. Plane. Ever.

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin