New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Why are there skill caps?

I don't like them and I can't think of a good reason to have them.
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Why are there skill caps?

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
    I like them and I can.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yay! Baseless debate!
    ·Bitzeralisis·

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PrC qualifications and also people would be able to pull off truly ridiculous feats at level 1. The odd Int 18 Rogue with Skill Focus (jump) for whatever reason and Acrobatic as his Human Bonus Feat could jump 67 feet by taking 10 if he had no Strength bonus.
    Last edited by Bauglir; 2008-02-27 at 11:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It's so people don't blow every point on a single skill and then ruin the game with it, diplomancing is a severe theoretical problem and removing skill caps would remove the 'theoretical'. There are a few other skills that require some limitation to be relevant, such as constitution.

So, limitations and diversity.

What are good reasons to not have them?
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    It's so people don't blow every point on a single skill and then ruin the game with it, diplomancing is a severe theoretical problem and removing skill caps would remove the 'theoretical'. There are a few other skills that require some limitation to be relevant, such as constitution.

Let's give another example:

52 Skill points (lvl 1 HU rogue). Let's pick a few things now.

We will skip the inherently broken social skills, as uses them to make the point isn't really saying alot.

How about spot? Monster has +10 to hide? Who cares, you have +54 to Spot. You can see invisibile things in poor lighting while being distracted and missing one eye. Yea, that's reasonable at level one.

Jump was done.

How about Open Lock? Ancient Door of the Eldar, locked with an intricate time-opened seal that is beyond the realm of mortal understanding? Let's give it DC 50, that's mildly epic. It's fine though, you have +56, so you succeed on a one.

Knowledge. Want to know everything there is to know about an epic dragon with 50 HD that hasn't been seen or heard of in a millenia? Well you DO! Knowledge (the planes) +56 is your friend.

I hope you get the point.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post

child prodigy
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

child prodigy
    Still, at first level you can get up to +4 (or even +5 with a racial bonus) from your ability, +4 ranks and +3 from skill focus. A +11 to any skill means that your best check is a 31, good enough to do mostly anything within normal human range abilities, particularly in fields like music (perform skills for a virtuoso are the best example as a child)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

child prodigy
    The reason skill caps exist has already been clearly explained.

Fundamentally, your issue is with the system. With non-scaling skill costs this is the way it has to be.

If you don't like skill caps, then you need a system which enforces them other ways. A good example is GURPS. Costs 1 point to get 1 rank, 2 points to get 2 ranks, 4 points to get 3 ranks, 8 points to get 4 ranks, 16 points to get 5 ranks, ect. Alternity has hard skill caps at character creation but they otherwise don't exist, but it, likewise, has scaling (though nowhere near as steep as GURPS).

And child prodigies, incidentally, don't involve breaking of skill caps; they're simply higher level than people of their age.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

child prodigy
    Clearly, said child is not level 1.

Double ninja'd
    Last edited by Nebo_; 2008-02-28 at 12:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    Let's give another example:

52 Skill points (lvl 1 HU rogue). Let's pick a few things now.

We will skip the inherently broken social skills, as uses them to make the point isn't really saying alot.

How about spot? Monster has +10 to hide? Who cares, you have +54 to Spot. You can see invisibile things in poor lighting while being distracted and missing one eye. Yea, that's reasonable at level one.

Jump was done.

How about Open Lock? Ancient Door of the Eldar, locked with an intricate time-opened seal that is beyond the realm of mortal understanding? Let's give it DC 50, that's mildly epic. It's fine though, you have +56, so you succeed on a one.

Knowledge. Want to know everything there is to know about an epic dragon with 50 HD that hasn't been seen or heard of in a millenia? Well you DO! Knowledge (the planes) +56 is your friend.

I hope you get the point.
    Exactly. In addition, all of those problems would be literally multiplied by a hundred with a single feat: Leadership.

"Hello, I'm a 10th level Paladin with a 20 Charisma, a house, and a reputation for being nice (I am a paladin, after all). That gives me 35 1st level followers (not to mention my handful of higher level followers and my cohort). Let me introduce you to some of them. Say hello to Jump-Man, Spot-Man, Listen-Man, Search-Man, Disable Device-Man, Diplomacy-Man, Heal-Man, Survivorman, Gather Information-Man, Appraise-Man, Handle Animal-Man, Tumble-Man (He doubles as Perform-Man), Ride-Man, and Swim-Man. Gee, I really need to get rid of those last two. Oh yeah, I also have ten Knowledge-Men, who collectively know every Knowledge skill there is. All of these guys have at least a +52 bonus to whatever skill they're trained in. You should also say hi to my 4th level follower, Ninja-Man. He's got a +45 to Hide and Move Silently. Pretty cool, huh? And how can I forget my 8th level Cohort, Sensible-Man. He has a +140 to Sense Motive. He reads your mind on a roll of 1. Sweet!"

Let me add one final example: a 20th level Human Rogue, with a mere +6 Int modifier, and who has taken Skill Focus eight times, can have 369 ranks in whatever skill he chooses. That's insane.
    Last edited by Overlord; 2008-02-28 at 12:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

child prodigy
    If you can play a child prodigy at first level, then I want to play a rich heir whose parents were both mages and crafted lots and lots of magical items for him when he decided to go adventuring.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    If you can play a child prodigy at first level, then I want to play a rich heir whose parents were both mages and crafted lots and lots of magical items for him when he decided to go adventuring.
    I call son of a god, complete with Divine Rank 0, fairly massive ability mods and whatever SLA's I can think of.

Oh, level adjustment? "I don't like them and I can't think of a good reason to have them." GEGE

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    Exactly. In addition, all of those problems would be literally multiplied by a hundred with a single feat: Leadership.

"Hello, I'm a 10th level Paladin with a 20 Charisma, a house, and a reputation for being nice (I am a paladin, after all). That gives me 35 1st level followers (not to mention my handful of higher level followers and my cohort). Let me introduce you to some of them. Say hello to Jump-Man, Spot-Man, Listen-Man, Search-Man, Disable Device-Man, Diplomacy-Man, Heal-Man, Survivorman, Gather Information-Man, Appraise-Man, Handle Animal-Man, Tumble-Man (He doubles as Perform-Man), Ride-Man, and Swim-Man. Gee, I really need to get rid of those last two. Oh yeah, I also have ten Knowledge-Men, who collectively know every Knowledge skill there is. All of these guys have at least a +52 bonus to whatever skill they're trained in. You should also say hi to my 4th level follower, Ninja-Man. He's got a +45 to Hide and Move Silently. Pretty cool, huh? And how can I forget my 8th level Cohort, Sensible-Man. He has a +140 to Sense Motive. He reads your mind on a roll of 1. Sweet!"

Let me add one final example: a 20th level Human Rogue, with a mere +6 Int modifier, and who has taken Skill Focus eight times, can have 369 ranks in whatever skill he chooses. That's insane.
    That is hilarious. :smallneutral: :smallspeechless: :smallellipsisgod!:
    ·Bitzeralisis·

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

If you really have a problem with skill caps you can raise them with feats.

Prodigy[General]
    You are particularity adept with a certain skill
    Prerequisites: Can only be taken at 1st level
    Benefit: Choose a single skill, you're max ranks in that skill is equal to 5+character level. In addition you receive two free ranks in the chosen skill.
    Normal: Your max ranks in all skills is 3+character level.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

child prodigy
    Skill Focus (whatever)?

17. - Top - End - #17

How about some ranks in UMD for uber cheese?

Seriously, have you thought at all about why skill caps are in the game or do you just like to WoW your way around the roleplaying table?
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    How about some ranks in UMD for uber cheese?

Seriously, have you thought at all about why skill caps are in the game or do you just like to WoW your way around the roleplaying table?
    WoW has skill caps. Hard-coded into the system, in fact.

Although I do agree with the general sentiment.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously this is some kind of massive conspiracy against child prodigies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    If you really have a problem with skill caps you can raise them with feats.

Prodigy[General]
    You are particularity adept with a certain skill
    Prerequisites: Can only be taken at 1st level
    Benefit: Choose a single skill, you're max ranks in that skill is equal to 5+character level. In addition you receive two free ranks in the chosen skill.
    Normal: Your max ranks in all skills is 3+character level.
    I think that's a really cool feat, actually. The problem, of course, is that it makes you qualify for PrCs WAY too early. A good DM wouldn't let that fly. I might steal this at some point, and you can't stop me, because it's the internet.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bitzeralisis View Post
    That is hilarious. :smallneutral: :smallspeechless: :smallellipsisgod!:
    Consider a 20th level Expert Lawyer with 369 ranks in Profession: Lawyer:

"...So that, your honor, is why the defendant is the cause of every evil action that has ever taken place in the entire history of the world, and why my client deserves to be awarded 18.3 billion gold pieces in damages."

Quote Originally Posted by Artemician View Post
    WoW has skill caps. Hard-coded into the system, in fact.
    And what do D&D and WoW have in common? The rules in both systems were written for a reason. Not necessarily good reasons, mind you, but reasons nonetheless. Sometimes those rules end up being flawed; sometimes they end up being useful. There's certainly nothing wrong with poking around with the rules to see if you can't think of something better. It's just that in this case, practically everyone is in agreement that the skill point caps are necessary to curb the skill-monkeys' power.
    Last edited by Overlord; 2008-02-28 at 02:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

And what do D&D and WoW have in common? The rules in both systems were written for a reason. Not necessarily good reasons, mind you, but reasons nonetheless. Sometimes those rules end up being flawed; sometimes they end up being useful. There's certainly nothing wrong with poking around with the rules to see if you can't think of something better. It's just that in this case, practically everyone is in agreement that the skill point caps are necessary to curb the skill-monkeys' power.
    The WoW comment was never directed at the respective merits of any rule. It was simply to address Jack Zander, when he said that the OP wanted to "WoW his way around the table". In this case, that makes no sense, because WoW uses skill caps as well.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

child prodigy
    Take the Prodigy ability from DMG2.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Consider a 20th level Expert Lawyer with 369 ranks in Profession: Lawyer:

"...So that, your honor, is why the defendant is the cause of every evil action that has ever taken place in the entire history of the world, and why my client deserves to be awarded 18.3 billion gold pieces in damages."
    Yeah, but that's canceled out by the guy with 369 ranks in whatever skill defeats lawyer.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

It's an opposed check.

Plus, that's not unbalanced, as he has no ranks in bluff.

26. - Top - End - #26

The issue people have been dancing around is skill caps exist so it's possible to have characters with varied skill selections and to have the ability to set (allegedly) reasonable skill check DCs that can be tailored to a party's level.
    Last edited by Behold_the_Void; 2008-02-28 at 04:03 AM.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

27. - Top - End - #27

Can someone show the maths of how a 1st level follower without skill caps can get +52 to one skill?
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

umm, lvl 1 human rogue, Int +3 (easily attainable 16-17 int)

Rogue gets Int bonus ((3)+8)X4 skill points at 1st level, and another 9 for being human

Total points available is 48

Feat skill focus +2

Any int based skill +2 for previously mentioned int bonus

Total 52 Not even using anything fancy
    Last edited by SerroMaroo; 2008-02-28 at 04:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Skill focus is +3, and there's usually a second feat that boosts 2 skills by +2.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    Can someone show the maths of how a 1st level follower without skill caps can get +52 to one skill?
    As I said in my post, my example character was an 18 int human rogue. Thus, 13x4=52

That is only the ranks, not including the key ability mod for the skill in question.

It also doesn't take into account skill boosting feats.

You could, with very little work get +61 under this 'system':

52 ranks + 4 key ability mod + 3 skill focus + 2 (skill booster feat such as Alertness)

Now, a COMMONER only has 2+int skills (I believe), so that's obviously not nearly as high. Also, even using the elite array, you are only going to have like a 15 int and maybe a 14 in your key ability mod, so its drastically less.

Thus, 24 + 2 (key ability) + 5 (skill feats) would net only a +31.

However, your leadership followers would be experts, not commoners, having 6+int skills (IIRC) and thus more points.

You get the idea I hope.