New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Kobold trickery

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Kobold trickery

OK...so I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm building and adventure for a level 1 character, not sure of class and race yet. Basicly, its going to be a raid on a Kobold dungeon. Standard dungeon crawl, but only kobolds. I want to have a bunch of traps that the Kobolds set up, but I'm not sure what kind of traps to do (other than locked doors, boiling [insert liquid] from above entrances/archways, ambushes from behind statues/other-stuff). Since its only going to be one character, the dungeon will be kind of small (as I doubt he'll ever play a healer XD). So what type of traps do you suggest?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Kobold trickery

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    OK...so I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm building and adventure for a level 1 character, not sure of class and race yet. Basicly, its going to be a raid on a Kobold dungeon. Standard dungeon crawl, but only kobolds. I want to have a bunch of traps that the Kobolds set up, but I'm not sure what kind of traps to do (other than locked doors, boiling [insert liquid] from above entrances/archways, ambushes from behind statues/other-stuff). Since its only going to be one character, the dungeon will be kind of small (as I doubt he'll ever play a healer XD). So what type of traps do you suggest?
    since it's lvl1, I'd use a lot of traps that inflict conditions (blindness/fatighe/fear/etc.). It's a good way to hit a lvl1 character and have him retreat, possibly to home, without killing him outright. It is also nice to have him use those save modifiers he has .
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest reading this article.

The key is small tunnels and preparing the terrain ahead of time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I think a trap like this could be worthwhile:
    {table]ECA|Elevated Cliff Area|ECA|Elevated Cliff Area|Ramp
    In|Open Roof Tunnel|Bridge|Open Roof Tunnel|ORT
    ECA|Two Kobold Snipers|ECA|Elevated Cliff Area|Out[/table]
    Naturally, there will another pair of Kobold snipers on the bridge, hiding behind the pile of rocks they're going to shove on to whoever passes below before revealing themselves to add to the salvo of sling bullets.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not many damaging effects - go for hidden walls, puzzles and that kind of thing. A level 1 character doesn't have enough hp to get hit by traps and fight at close-quarters underground. Be careful about how many you put him up against, remember that bows will be pretty lethal, and give hi ample healing opportunity.
    A one worm armoury. Proficient with none of it.

Lorr Cordasco, Telepath, Lost and Gone Forever

GiTP Murder game

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

...Should I? I shall. These are Kobolds. Why would all their tunnels be sized for Medium creatures? Make some Small tunnels.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Tuckers kobolds? Ease it up a bit, he said first level character. One first level.
    You need conditions as one said and perhaps humor - drop ice cubes down his pants or something, a decent trap or ambush will certainly kill him...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

razor wire, swinging sythes with some benifactor giving them teleptotation circles so that the sythe hits the wall, goes out from the floor and out the other wall before resetting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

since it's lvl1, I'd use a lot of traps that inflict conditions (blindness/fatighe/fear/etc.). It's a good way to hit a lvl1 character and have him retreat, possibly to home, without killing him outright. It is also nice to have him use those save modifiers he has .
    Blinding's just mean

I had a player almost leave after he swam through the blinding water in White Plume Mountain.