New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Decent Archer?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Decent Archer?

I'm currently playing a Paladin in a table top game who's focused in archery. (Using the elven racial substitutions from the Races of the Wild as well as having the Pious Templar PrC). While it's been a lot of fun, the party was sliding into evil before I switched to the Paladin, and despite my best efforts, have continued to trend downwards.

Be that as it may, I really like the Charisma bonus to saves and Mettle, granted by the Pious Templar. I was looking at other classes that granted such things and stumbled across the hexblade - which I never really looked at closely.

So, now my brain is churning, since the hexblade would definitly fit better with the current party makeup, and it all seemed to click... So, here's what I'm thinking - please critique...

Wood Elf, male. S: 12, D: 19, C: 14, I: 10, W: 12, Ch: 16

Rog1/Hex1/Rog1/Hex1/Rog1/Hex2/ArcArch10/Rog1/OotBI 2

I'll be using the Fighter Feat variant for the rogue, granting me two additional feats.

We also use the fractional saving throw progression from the UA.

As such, I'll be BAB: 19, Fort: 10, Ref: 15, Will: 11 by 20th.

The character will be joining the party either at 9th or 10th level.

Current feat progression is:

1st: Point Blank
    Rogue 1: Precise Shot
    3rd: Rapid Shot
    Rogue 3: Weapon Focus: Longbow
    6th: Improved Initative
    9th: Improved Critical: Longbow
    12th: Manyshot
    15th: Improved Rapid Shot
    18th: Improved Precise Shot

Thoughts?
    Trollbait extraordinaire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Decent Archer?

It looks alright, but if you want to play a fey instead you can eliminate some MAD and have your attack bonus be based on charisma. Charming the Arrow (WotC site). Find it on Realms Help. Also allows you to wear heavy armor without a problem. Also allows for more damage as you can have a higher str score.

Also, why Imp Rapid Shot? Especially before Imp Precise Shot? And why Manyshot? And Imp Crit can be delayed for Charming the Arrow. It's not all that great. It's nice, but not something you should go out of your way to get.

Make sure to just do AA in epic. And if you aren't going epic: screw AA. Take Justice of Weald and Woe (CoR). It's awesome.

And why feat rogue? Why take rogue levels if you aren't going to get SA?. Well, I guess I can see it. Why not.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Decent Archer?

Ranged Pins, Disarms, and Sunders from Complete Warrior look like a lot of fun, but sadly I haven't seem them in action to verify their practicality