New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Best Divination spells?

What are the best divination spells? Specifically, for a sorceror going into Loremaster (also, wanting to focus a bit on divination).

Yes, I know that is sub-optimal, but there are no wizards in the setting, and I'm getting better skills from Loremaster than sorceror. Also, I'm trying not to make the party fighter and ranger look bad.

My current list, at level 6:

Some level 0 spells, including all the divinations.

Comprehend Languages, Ray of Enfeeblement, Charm Person, Hesitate*

Glitterdust, Invisibilty

Fly

So far, my suggestions for level 3 have been Arcane Sight, Unluck, or Alter Fortune.

*Hesitate is a 3rd party spell. It is a will save or be slowed (as the spell) for 1d4 rnds. Fluffwise, it makes them second-guess everything they do, slowing their reaction time.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-03-31 at 01:29 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Best Divination spells?

What books do you have access to?
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Certain- Core, Sandstorm

Certainly Not- Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic

Everything else is case by case.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Draconic Bloodline feat from Dragon #311 is nice for higher levels and would probably open up a level 1 spell slot with an understanding DM:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-..._Bloodline,all

A level dip or two into MotAO Complete Arcane should meet the PRC divination spellcasting requirments for Loremaster if available as an option via the spell pool.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-03-31 at 01:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The Diviner's Handbook.

Also, there's a prestige class in the BoEF that adds an entire domain of mostly Divination spells to your list, while powering up Scry. The prerequisites are easy, and it can be re-fluffed simply by changing a couple spells. Only 3 levels, too.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm unlikely to take it, but what does balancing lorecall do? If I remember my lorecall line of spells, it gives some abilities based on your ranks in balance, but what kind of things make it worth taking (according to Diviner's Handbook)?
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm playing a game where I just gained the ability to cast 6th-level spells. Three awesome spells from the PHB divination list , the most fun being legend lore. I'm in dreadful need of it right about now, so I'm very glad to have it.
    It all depends on the kind of game you're playing. I'm playing a heavy-planning game with many enemies and lots of lies and obfuscated background information. Whee. So I'm taking a couple weeks in-game off and just scrying and Legend Loring, hard.