New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Combat Expertise

Is their a feat that one can substitute for Combat Expertise in order to qualify for Improved Trip, etc.

I know Evasive Reflexes can substitute for Combat Reflexes, and there are also abilities to substitute for Weapon Finesse and Power Attack, but is their one for Combat Expertise?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Combat Expertise

Not that I am aware of in Core D&D. In Monte Cooke's Arcana Evolved, Improved Unarmed Strike is used instead as the Improved Trip prereq, so I have houseruled that either will work in my games.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Is there a feat that lets one use their STR modifier as extra AoO with Combat Expertise? That would be awesome for low DEX builds that you still would like to be AoO monkeys.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Do you mean Combat Reflexes? Also, I find that doubtful. Strength and Reflexes aren't really related.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Do you mean Combat Reflexes? Also, I find that doubtful. Strength and Reflexes aren't really related.
    No, but WOTC has published plenty of feats that let you use a completely unrelated ability for whatever action. I believe their rule is "one feat lets you substitute one ability modifier for another for one particular kind of action, regardless of whether this has any basis in real life".

So mechanically, tack on an extra feat for this and you're not likely to overpower your build.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Do you mean Combat Reflexes? Also, I find that doubtful. Strength and Reflexes aren't really related. And I also do not recall any such feat.
    Very well then, I will correct my own quote. That is what I really meant to say.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

No.

But a Wolf Totem Barbarian or Hand and Foot Monk can get Improved Trip as a bonus feat, which means you don't need Combat Expertise to get it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    No, but WOTC has published plenty of feats that let you use a completely unrelated ability for whatever action. I believe their rule is "one feat lets you substitute one ability modifier for another for one particular kind of action, regardless of whether this has any basis in real life".
    Hey! All those clumsy archers who use their Zen wisdom to hit the target anyway take exception to you calling them unrealistic!

Seriously though, I would say Weapon Finesse and Force of Personality are logical. The rest are kind of silly.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]