New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Blind Swordsman

So, I want to build a blind swordsman, Zatoichi-style, and I'm wondering how the blindness should be handled, mechanically. A friend who is a character-optimizer said there's Blindness flaws that would help the character in roundabout ways, but didn't elaborate.

I have access to the PHB, PHB II, the entire Complete series, and most other books.

The DM has house-ruled that Listen and Spot are class skills for all classes.

I want to be an ordinary meleeist, not a gish.

Character level 4th.

Any suggestions?
    Current D&D characters: None
    Currently GMing: "The Last War of Outremer", Pathfinder/D&D 3.5
    The Crown and the Ring: Blog where I ramble and muse about elements of gaming culture, game mechanics, the philosophy of Dungeon Mastery (at least as it applies to me), and chronicle, step by step, the creation of a campaign world.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Blind Swordsman

Convince your DM to give you blind-fight for free, for starters. Having all your enemies be effective invisible is pretty lose as a melee.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you can use ToB, the diamond mind stance hear the air would likely be good. Besides that, I believe that there are feats in PHB2 and the Heroes of Battle that aid listen checks. The only other think I can think of would be the Synesthete power, but as you don't want to be a gish, that's out(though If your a high enough level, a permanent magic item of it could work).

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingRangerGuy

This thread reappears every six months. Someone will try to convince you to NOT do it because gimping your self is stupid.

BTW Zatochi is not blind. He closes his eyes to train himself to see in darkness. Basically, get an underfolk human who closes his eyes and uses blindfight.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There was one race...Grimlock or something, that geve you blindsense 60ft or something.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Blindfold of True Darkness, MIC. As you can't remove it, try to have your DM give it to you for free. It eliminates your vision and gives you blindsight.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Take snatch arrows.
    "How did you do that?"
    "I heard that coming a mile away."
    "Very good, Blinkin, well done."
    "Pardon? Who's talking?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Take snatch arrows.
    "How did you do that?"
    "I heard that coming a mile away."
    "Very good, Blinkin, well done."
    "Pardon? Who's talking?"
    "You're really blind?"
    "Yes."
    *waves hand in front of face*
    "Don't do that wavy hand thing."

[/ripped wholesale from No Need For Bushido]
    But seriously, that guy is awesome.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Blindfold of True Darkness, MIC. As you can't remove it, try to have your DM give it to you for free. It eliminates your vision and gives you blindsight.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what's MIC stand for?
    Current D&D characters: None
    Currently GMing: "The Last War of Outremer", Pathfinder/D&D 3.5
    The Crown and the Ring: Blog where I ramble and muse about elements of gaming culture, game mechanics, the philosophy of Dungeon Mastery (at least as it applies to me), and chronicle, step by step, the creation of a campaign world.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Magic Item Compendium. There's a stickied thread with all of the acronyms used on this board at the top of the page.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flaw: Blind (cannot be healed by magic)

Then by UA, you can take a feat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I'd probably just ask my DM to make it a flavor thing. I'm blind, but take no penalties in combat for being blind. Obviously you'd still get all the non-mechanical "penalties" for being blind, such as not being able to read/write/etc.

But, hey, if the DM thinks I should be gimped for wanting to play an interesting character, then I just wouldn't play an interesting character. Or, rather, I would find other ways to make my character interesting that he can't turn into a mechanical penalty to punish me with.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

A lot of people want to play blind swordsmen or monks or what have you; which is rather impractical, but I won't stand in your way. You'd think they'd have made a PrC or something...
    Last edited by Maerok; 2008-04-24 at 10:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

There is, but it is 3.0 and monk-specific. Not really what the OP wanted.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Grappling isn't hindered much by being blind, especially if you can get blind-fight for free by talking your DM into it. But then you aren't a swordsman. *shrugs*
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My god, just take blind fight with as your human bonus feat.

Then once you hit level 4, make your 18 wis 19, and get blind sight, like you can see 5 feet.

That will get you your effect. You will be blind, but get up close, you fight just fine.
    Last edited by Avor; 2008-04-24 at 11:17 PM.
    PC 1- *singing" Robin hood and little John running through the forest trying to get away...
    PC 2- Hey, you are right, this reminds me of that too.
    DM- Except that the king was king 348 years ago, and has undead powers...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

You need blind sight for that. Blind sense doesn't negate the miss chance from not being able to see your target.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Great, now I can't find it. A feat that gives you a 5 radius of normal sight, even if you are blind/in the dark.
    PC 1- *singing" Robin hood and little John running through the forest trying to get away...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I think it is in CW.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

5 feet won't really help much. You'd have to have your teammates push you in the direction of enemies. Really, any special sight with a radius less than 30ft isn't all that helpful.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    I think it is in CW.
    No, just found it, Sword and Fist page 5.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe it's also in CW, as Sword and fist is 3.0. And really, its pretty much a waste of a feat unless you can get a longer range form, like Ascension said.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    And really, its pretty much a waste of a feat unless you can get a longer range form, like Ascension said.
    Not really, use normal listen checks to get a idea who is where. Run up and do them in good.

Yes being blind is a disadvantage, but what do you expect! It's blindness!!! You can't just take some feats and expect to magicaly mean nothing.

5 foot radius is more than generous.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Or, instead of wasting feats, you can spend 9,000 gp and negate all of the combat problems. I'd rather do that, personally.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Major problems of being blind, aside from the whole "How the hell do you travel?" :

Heal checks become a pain in the neck, stabilizing friends is near-impossible.
    Potions are only useful if you know exactly what's in them.
    -4 penalty on all strength and dex based skills
    No spot checks (though it's fun for the DM to ask you for spot checks anyway).
    Everything in the world is treated as Invisible to you (You're flat-footed, they get +2 to hit against you, and I THINK you draw an AoO every round... can't remember where I read that last). Blind-fight helps cover this.

However, having a good Listen check is fantastic for covering your bases - there's a feat I think in the PHB2, Hear the Unseen, that lets you pinpoint someone's location with a DC 25 Listen check, and gives a +5 bonus to listen checks to locate invisible opponents... or something to that effect. Skill Focus : Listen becomes far more important, and Blind-fight is near necessary in combat. If you decide to go for the full penalties of being blind, try to convince your DM to give you those three feats for free - or at the very least, Blind-Fight, and possibly Hear the Unseen. The full penalties for blindness are incredibly rough, it's certainly a flaw worth more than one feat.

Alternatively, when I was rolling a blind monk a year or so ago, Bears with Lasers suggested that instead of going through the full thing of being blind, simply roleplaying it (as in, no spot checks, etc), and "flavoring" my misses as being the result of my blindness. I don't like that option, myself, I like to have things represented mechanically, but it's certainly a do-able option, and wouldn't require taking such an enormous hit to your effectiveness.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Avor View Post
    Not really, use normal listen checks to get a idea who is where. Run up and do them in good.

Yes being blind is a disadvantage, but what do you expect! It's blindness!!! You can't just take some feats and expect to magicaly mean nothing.

Five foot radius is one step. That means you can only react to someone standing right in front of you. That's not "generous" by any definition of the word. 30 foot radius means six steps. That means immediate area with room to dodge, side-step and the like.

By the way, he wants to recreate Zatoichi. The whole point behind the character is that while he is blind, he does not move nor fight in a way that is handicapped by it. That's the flavour. This is not normal blindness, but blindness with proper training for compensation.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avor View Post
    No, just found it, Sword and Fist page 5.
    Also in Deities and Demigods, which means it got put into the SRD. Here you go.

It's blindsight, which is nice; unfortunately, needing 19 Wisdom puts it out of the reach of most characters. Wisdom is not an important stat for your average swordsman.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingRangerGuy

Or Combat Awareness from PH2. Combined with scorpion's sense or a similar feat for tremorsense like abilities.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baidas Kebante

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avor

Five foot radius is one step. That means you can only react to someone standing right in front of you.
    It must be really easy to sneak up on you, if you can't even react until you see someone.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer.
    A man who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    A man who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    -St. Francis of Assisi

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Also in Deities and Demigods, which means it got put into the SRD. Here you go.

It's blindsight, which is nice; unfortunately, needing 19 Wisdom puts it out of the reach of most characters. Wisdom is not an important stat for your average swordsman.
    While I don't like this option much, I will say that Swordsage would not only fit the build thematically but would also have WIS synergy. You're still pretty useless, but at least you're useless... with style!
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]