New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

This is looking good... The confused in your post (Zeta) isn't bold though like everything else. Yay, I'm useful...
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Conversion to Standard 3.X, continued
    • Aeons: Having looked over the rules for Aeons, I was struck by how little they go outside the “normal” rules for D&D. Rituals are fairly common, & monster classes are from Savage Species, a well-known supplemental book. Of course, Aeons are a bit unusual mechanically, due to how they are called in battle by Summoners; also, the fluff for Aeons won’t fit every setting. The main thing that needs to be changed to fully integrate in standard d20 rules is the elimination of the MP system. Luckily, Aeons don’t have any class features that use MP (although the prestige classes for Aeons do, as shown below), so abolishing MP won’t affect normal Aeons at all.
      • Aeon Prestige Classes: It is more than a little unusual for monsters, even creatures using monster classes, to take levels in a prestige class. As such, it is up to a DM’s discretion as to whether or not they wish to include this option for the Aeons in their campaigns. Again, the main thing that needs to be changed to fully integrate in standard d20 rules is the elimination of the MP system. However, each PrC has the capability of casting magical attacks, each of which costs MP. So let’s simplify things & just say that for an Aeon, any ability that has an MP cost can be used 3 times per day instead. This value is not meant to approximate an Aeon’s current ability output, but to provide a balanced play experience.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-07 at 02:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

For the record, I have adjusted the MP-per-HD for almost every creature type & character class, reducing many of them by as much as two thirds. This was done for game balance reasons, as before it was much too easy for creatures & characters to spam their MP-consuming powers. Most of these changes can be seen on Table 5-1 & Table 5-2. I will make the necessary adjustments for the monsters, but that will likely be PDF-exclusive material.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Drops back in from real life*

Urgh, I was gone too long.

Anyway, just wanted to say this fan of your project is still around! And, loving every bit of all the new stuff I saw when I came back. All the work you've put into this still amazes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    You know you're doing something wrong when your work causes people to try to figure out the plural of Deus Ex Machina.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven't played FFX in years... Wow, I wanna go play it now.

All in all, great idea, great execution. I'm considering running my next campaign with this now... (Which is going to be a while down the road, considering that I'm still writing the current one)

Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Oracle fanclub. To join put this into your sig and give yourself a title.

Court sorcerer of House Kato.

Tuna-preparer of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. I didn't.

Magioth made my avatar!

The SECOND member of the fanclub!!!

Sequinox

And the Dark Lord on his Dark Throneitp, where the shadows lie.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry that I haven't been updating as of late. I've been terribly busy working on the VUACS; Afro keeps my locked up in a minaret, chained to my homebrewing desk. I assure you all that I will complete this project soon & have a PDF ready for download. Thank you all for your support, & again, I apologize for my absence.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Dwarf in the Playground

No worries, Zeta--I figured it was the VUAC that was behind the delay.

And tell Afro that you need to get some sun once in a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    You know you're doing something wrong when your work causes people to try to figure out the plural of Deus Ex Machina.

8. - Top - End - #818

I've decided on trying out a one-shot adventure between campaigns (seeing as I'm working very slowly on the next one for my group) set in this world, using these rules. If you want, I can post the report like another guy was doing earlier... All I'll need to run the game is A) A plotline... Recently, inspiration has passed me by, and B) the pdf... I'm looking forward to that, bigtime.

And if I didn't say it earlier, I'm another person who never posted but sort of followed the project. I don't post much. My motto (for the forums, at any rate): 'Read much! Post little!' (In Mr Miyagi's voice... I can totally hear that.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Oracle fanclub. To join put this into your sig and give yourself a title.

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

9. - Top - End - #819

Okay, I have a plotline, but it's not very final fantasy.

If you know me, don't read this.
    Spoiler
    Show

It has to do with pirates attacking Rin's airship, the PC's trying to retake it, and it ends up crashing on an island where they have to 1) survive and 2) rebuild the ship. it turns out that there's a traitor in their midst, so they start to investigate that. They learn that the traitor is supposed to meet with the pirates in an old temple who's Aeon is gone, so they go there only to find that the guy who's been their friend the whole time is the traitor, and he's the guy they left with the ship. They rush back just as he finishes fixing it, and, being Al Bhed, calls out some machina before they have a final boss battle, FF style.

Now, I'm open to ideas as to a better plot that actually is FF-ish, but I can't come up with any that are even close to a one-shot game's length.

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

10. - Top - End - #820
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the problem is the traitor part. That strikes me as quite non FF-ish. Of course, such twists work very well, but to make it FF-ish, I think it needs much more mystery to it. The guy needs a complex and twisted plan that turns out to be much more complicated than just stealing the airship. Oh, and I think it works perfectly, if his plan is allready running for years.
    Also, you have to find a way, that the character is both memorable to the players, but that they will also allow him to watch the ship. If there's a possibility, that they demand he's coming with them, they will do it.

11. - Top - End - #821

Okay, thanks for the advice.

New Idea:
    Spoiler
    Show

While thinking of how to make it more complicated, my mind wandered back to the map I drew up of the island.

The ... terrorists, pirates, whatever, were trying to take over a ship to reach THAT island, specifically, because on the bottom of the island, there's the ruins of a city before Sin arrived back from Tidus' time. Some place way above it, there's some sort of super-awesome or super-valuable thing. I'm thinking some sort of machine at the top of a huge tower. Anyway, the ship crash-lands on the northern part of the island, so they're maybe twenty miles away from it. Nearly a day's walk.

How does this add to the story? Maybe they learn in the old temple about ruins of a city, via drawings on the wall, on the way in, and someone will start asking, sadly, why he would betrayt their entire race (because now, apparently, all the al-bhed are chillin' on the airship... I just beat the part where they reach Home last night ) Anyway, so he's asking why, and if the players haven't come up with it, as they rush back for the airship, I'll mention that they notice the drawing on the wall. One of my players is really good at this sort of thing, so I'm betting that he'll notice. If not, then I'll worry about it later.

So somehow, the plot stretches out to them meeting in the city with the PC's getting to the top of the tower, where the villain has just finished the ritual/programming to unlock the awesome magic item/machine. Super epic boss battle.

So, better?

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

12. - Top - End - #822
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like it.

But... (spoiler for people who migt read here but haven't finished the game yet )
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's no actual time travel involved in FFX. Sin never traveled back in time, nor was either Tidus or Jecht taken to the future. It all happened at the same time, but the "past Zanarkand" is a memory of the Fayeth that are in the wall at the presence. They just remember how it was 1,000 years ago.
    Though I'm unsure if Jecht and Tidus have been new crations of the Fayth, as they spin their dream on, or if they are memories of people who died 1000 years ago. But that wouldn't make sense, as Tidus remembers Jecht being gone for 10 years.
    I guess the Fayth just dream about an alternate history if Zanarkand hadn't been destroyed, but as a whole, the place stays as it has been on its last day.

I would also
    Spoiler
    Show
    add an Aeon, though havn't played X-2, so I don't know how they work after the old Yevon-and-Fayth-Religion has been destroyed.
    Why look for a MacGuffin, if you could also have a new awsome Aeon burried in the ruin?
    Maybe an aeon, that had been left isolated and mostly forgotten, so it's unaffected by the changes in spira and still works as before.
    Last edited by Neithan; 2009-03-06 at 06:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #823

Okay, I read the first three sentences and decided to go beat the game. I'm on my way to Bevelle, so I must be close. Stupid Evrae killed me three or four times before I gave up.

EDIT: About an hour later, I've lost 8 times... And I've got it down to under 10 hp TWICE!

Aaaaand double edit: I gave in and read what you said after I gave up. Now I was wondering, is there any mention of any other cities, at all? Because a city that's still standing perfectly but is totally empty would, like, be totally awesome.

Triple edit: I've killed Evrae, played some more, played even more, played more, etc etc etc, and now I'm in the underwater thing with Tidus, Wakka, and Rikku. The game is the best it's ever been.
    Last edited by Sequinox; 2009-03-07 at 11:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

14. - Top - End - #824
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah!

I've been gone way, way, way too long.

Thing is, I've been absent from GiTP in general, and it sorta drifted to the back of my consciousness, along with all of my loved ones' birthdays and the quadratic formula. It's [-b±√(b^2-4ac)]/2a. I had to look it up . I can't even remember when my last post on here was...

BUT!

My PS2 recently decided to man up and finally start working (-ish) again, and I've been able to dig into FFX. Between stat maxing on my normal game and playing my NSG game (Stuck in Kilika ) it's keeping my hands full. But it reminded me of this. And I have to say, having watched this project since waaaaaay back, I couldn't love it more. The amount of work and time that goes into something like this is astounding. I mean, just look at my Arcane Gambler. It just sort of...stopped. And it was a SIMPLE project. Nothing likee this behemoth. Anyway, though I haven't played FFX d20 and probably never will get a chance, I have to say that it looks beyond excellent.

So, I seem to remember offering to help with fluff. Or something. I dunno, it was a long time ago. Something about how I knew FFX like the back of my hand but was crap with d20, but still wanted to help somehow...whatever.

Anyway, I'm sure it doesn't matter this late in the game, but if there's ANYTHING related to FFX that you want me to take a look at, I'd be more than glad to help. Like I said, I doubt it matters anymore as the project seems effectively nearing completion, but I would still like to toss my 2 gil in if there's anything I can possibly help with. I'm still reading through old posts though, and I'm liable to miss something in the flood. So let me know; no big deal if you don't want/need my help or think me unreliable, I totally understand. And I'm sorry for tossing in such an unnecessarily huge post
    Last edited by Soup of Kings; 2009-03-07 at 05:22 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

First crappy homebrew, the Arcane Gambler PrC. PEACH please!

Second crappy homebrew. Click here if you want alignments to be more confusing.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

15. - Top - End - #825

*waits for PDF*

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

16. - Top - End - #826

Hello? Is anyone there? The game is tomorrow, and the PDF would help a LOT...

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sequinox View Post
    Hello? Is anyone there? The game is tomorrow, and the PDF would help a LOT...
    I'm compiling as fast as I can, but I don't think you're gonna get it by tomorrow. Sorry, but a more defined deadline stated earlier might have prompted me to finish this sooner.

18. - Top - End - #828

Oooh... Sorry to nag. We didn't end up playing, anyway, and the game was the poorest excuse for a put-together-on-the-fly game I've ever written... So it'll happen at a later date.

So yeah. Sorry to nag and stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sequinox View Post
    Sorry to nag and stuff.
    It's no big deal. I understand your desire to have this project done. I feel the same way. I'm about halfway done with the PDF: all the text has been compiled, almost all the tables have been added (that Sphere Grid is horrifying), & I've added a lot of images. The rest of the pics need to be included, as well as the legal text, the table of contents, & the hyperlinks. Then it just needs to be compiled into a PDF, compressed, & uploaded. Wish me luck, & thank you for understanding.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Been following this thread for what seems like forever. Way before I signed up here, at any rate.

So, with you compiling the PDF, does that include the info on blitzball (& MORE!)that is kinda boldly hinted at in the title and earlier posts and will ont be included in the thread, or does it not include the info because it isn't done, but you hope will be, or does it not contain the info because it isn't done, and you really can't be buggered doing that much extra work after all the monsters?

Wow, long sentence.
    Worshiping:
    Shinji Ikari, GOD-EMPEROR OF MANKIND
    Largo, Great teacher and l33t h4xx0r
    Onizua, Great Teacher and best character EVAR.
    Thrawn, Grand Admiral and AWESOME Stu.
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Sexy-Shoeless-God-of-War

21. - Top - End - #831
    Halfling in the Playground

Been following this thread for what seems like forever. Way before I signed up here, at any rate.
    Same for me
    I just want to congratulate myself with Zeta for the awesome work, even if I'm a bit late...

22. - Top - End - #832

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    It's no big deal. I understand your desire to have this project done. I feel the same way. I'm about halfway done with the PDF: all the text has been compiled, almost all the tables have been added (that Sphere Grid is horrifying), & I've added a lot of images. The rest of the pics need to be included, as well as the legal text, the table of contents, & the hyperlinks. Then it just needs to be compiled into a PDF, compressed, & uploaded. Wish me luck, & thank you for understanding.
    Oh, no problem. Good luck!

(And yeah, even more luck with the sphere grid... )

Spoiler
    Show

Magioth made my avatar!

Sequinox

23. - Top - End - #833
    Pixie in the Playground

I reregistered for these forums just to say how impressive this entire project is.
    I ran a one-shot with these rules back when you were still somewhere in the S's with monster posts. It actually ran really smoothly, and the only problem I had is that the party Black Mage never ran low on MP (although you have already fixed that problem it seems).

Otherwise, great job and I can't wait for the PDF compile!

24. - Top - End - #834
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Is this dead?

I remember reading about future Blitzball rules and a PDF and a bunch of other nice stuff...

Is that still happening, or is there way too much other stuff happening for you?
    Worshiping:

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by But Not Tonight View Post
    Is this dead?

I remember reading about future Blitzball rules and a PDF and a bunch of other nice stuff...

Is that still happening, or is there way too much other stuff happening for you?
    No, this is not dead. It's just sleeping.

Sorry, I'm a piece of (very busy) garbage. VUACS is taking a lot of my time. My new job is taking a lot of my time. My beloved family is taking a lot of my time. My free time is is taking a lot of my time.

But, most importantly, I can't make a PDF worth beans. I'm basically taking my Word docs, compiling them into one long file, adding pictures, & then... I dunno. I've been dragging my heels with the picture-adding, because they're not working right, & I don't have access for a full version of Acrobat to make them work right. I could slap the rest together in a day, if quality was not an issue, but I'm a perfectionist, so it's languishing until I can make it the way it should be made. I dunno, I suppose I should just get off my butt & make a beta available. I can always spruce it up later.

BTW, Blitzball was actually done quite thoroughly, & is located here. Check it out, & enjoy.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

You can make a PDF from any program that you can print from using PDFCreator.
    Last edited by cha0s4a11; 2009-05-05 at 08:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    No, this is not dead. It's just sleeping.

Sorry, I'm a piece of (very busy) garbage. VUACS is taking a lot of my time. My new job is taking a lot of my time. My beloved family is taking a lot of my time. My free time is is taking a lot of my time.

But, most importantly, I can't make a PDF worth beans. I'm basically taking my Word docs, compiling them into one long file, adding pictures, & then... I dunno. I've been dragging my heels with the picture-adding, because they're not working right, & I don't have access for a full version of Acrobat to make them work right. I could slap the rest together in a day, if quality was not an issue, but I'm a perfectionist, so it's languishing until I can make it the way it should be made. I dunno, I suppose I should just get off my butt & make a beta available. I can always spruce it up later.

BTW, Blitzball was actually done quite thoroughly, & is located here. Check it out, & enjoy.
    Oooooooooh.

Cool. Admittedly, what I mainly wanted to see was how you would do Blitzball, so ^^

I would not care about the pictures. As long as the text is coherent and neatly organised, I would be super happy, and I doubt I would be dissapointed in that regard.

Hell, you coul probably release a PDF without pictures, and then try to sell it as a real book with pictures... Though there are pesky licencing issues and all that, but still.

This is a great piece of work.
    Worshiping:

28. - Top - End - #838
    Pixie in the Playground

Just ran into this last week and have been reading through it. All I can think to say is wow! This thing is incredible, especially having every single monster and boss fully detailed. FFX was one of my favorite Final Fantasy games and this manages to catch the feel of the game even using a vastly different set of rules. Hopefully completing the pdf starts going better for you, I have no experience doing it so I can't help in any way. Good luck and thanks for putting such an enormous amount of time into this incredible project.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zeta, good luck with making a Word document that you are satisfied with. I've converted Word files to .pdf but the important thing is to have a fully polished Word file first. The pictures are going to be a pain because you don't have a standard size [from what I could tell] and that always adds more work.

Best of luck to you.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

30. - Top - End - #840
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ok, sorry for coming to this a bit late, and I really like this. I might actually use it for a coming campaign.

The only thing with which I have a problem so far are the skills of your Aeons. You should have a mechanic (perhaps a class ability?) that prevents them from taking cross-class ranks in skills you haven't given them as class skills. An Aeon with a random rank in Forgery, for example, should pretty much never exist for any reason. On that note, are Aeons literate? Do they comprehend all languages they knew as their previous race, or all languages? Can they be affected by magic? A Hastega'd Overdriving Aeon would be a really bad thing for a DM to deal with. Just some things to think about, feel free to ignore me

Really quality homebrew so far, btw.