New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Is there a spell that disguises an object?

Disguise Self and Seeming both only work on creatures. Let's say I found some awesome Staff of Magic-ness and I wanted to disguise it to look like a staff of decrepit walking-stick, what spell would I use?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a spell that disguises an object?

Disguise self while holding it.
    Don't let go.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually I agree, Hat of Disguise would do the trick. You can look like virtually anything, including yourself normally with a decrepit looking walking stick.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The others have covered making it look different, and I think they're right. As far as making it look non-magical, (Nystal's) magic aura can help.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

You could use Prestigitation to change its color. So instead of looking like an incredible staff of power, it will look like a blue incrdible staff of power.

That didn't help, did it?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

That didn't help in the sense that, as a Beguiler, I don't have Presitidigitation.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Couldn't you craft it to give it a different appearance? Does D&D have rules for that?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Paint. A good paintjob fixes everything.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well basically I want to know this for a situation where...the rest of the party isn't looking. I see an item of coolness, and don't want the rest of the party to know that and then possibly demand it, so I change its appearance to look like something worthless.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Paint. A good paintjob fixes everything.
    Literally. Paint it to look expensive (justified as adding the appearance of a veneer to it) and it will look valuable from a distance and cheap from up close, and actually be valuable.

Edit: Temporarily, Persistant Image would work.Long-term, ask your DM about Seeming.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2008-05-01 at 11:41 PM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Well basically I want to know this for a situation where...the rest of the party isn't looking. I see an item of coolness, and don't want the rest of the party to know that and then possibly demand it, so I change its appearance to look like something worthless.
    You could use something like silent image to disguise it's appearance in the short term. When you have a chance, stuff it in a bag of holding. If they ask where you got it later, claim you bought it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Sleight of Hand is what you want.
    My dagger is now on the altar, and the altar dagger is in my boot. You have to have the Bluff to back it up, but if your Beguiler doesn't have Bluff, you might need to kill yourself and start over.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wood Shape
    Transmutation
    Level: Drd 2
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One touched piece of wood no larger than 10 cu. ft. + 1 cu. ft./level
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

Wood shape enables you to form one existing piece of wood into any shape that suits your purpose. While it is possible to make crude coffers, doors, and so forth, fine detail isn’t possible. There is a 30% chance that any shape that includes moving parts simply doesn’t work.
    Pay someone to do it for you. Should be very easy, if the staff is wooden

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Ah. Sleight of Hand is what you want.
    My dagger is now on the altar, and the altar dagger is in my boot. You have to have the Bluff to back it up, but if your Beguiler doesn't have Bluff, you might need to kill yourself and start over.
    What Beguiler doesn't have bluff? I did not, however, have any points to spare for Sleight of hand. I had to pump Disguise due to story reasons.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

That didn't help in the sense that, as a Beguiler, I don't have Presitidigitation.
    Whoa, Beguilers don't get Prestidigitation? That's harsh. In that case, be a gnome beguiler.

And I should point out that <Silent/Minor/Major/Persistent> Image won't help out one lick here, since those are all figments, but you need a glamer to change the appearance of something that already exists. I don't see why Magic Aura wouldn't fit the bill, though, unless there's something distinctive about a particular shiny that would make it recognizable on sight to the party. A staff of great arcane power that's not showing any aura looks like... A stick.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I don't see why Magic Aura wouldn't fit the bill, though, unless there's something distinctive about a particular shiny that would make it recognizable on sight to the party. A staff of great arcane power that's not showing any aura looks like... A stick.
    Be careful with that. This might happen and not be your plan.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The spell Invisibility can be cast on objects, and iirc is on the beguiler list. Does that help?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Nice, Kurald. Good call.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can superimpose a figment on a real object, so I don't think Image spells are out entirely. I think better yet would be to get something like a Glove of Storing and poof an item before replacing it with a figment or a conjured duplicate. A transmutation would be spiffy, too, but I don't know of one off the top of my head.
    ~Joe
    Last edited by seedjar; 2008-05-02 at 09:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whoa, Beguilers don't get Prestidigitation? That's harsh. In that case, be a gnome beguiler.

And I should point out that <Silent/Minor/Major/Persistent> Image won't help out one lick here, since those are all figments, but you need a glamer to change the appearance of something that already exists. I don't see why Magic Aura wouldn't fit the bill, though, unless there's something distinctive about a particular shiny that would make it recognizable on sight to the party. A staff of great arcane power that's not showing any aura looks like... A stick.
    Just take it, use it as a walking stick. Remember to ask for your fair share of the treasure, though.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't see why Magic Aura wouldn't fit the bill, though, unless there's something distinctive about a particular shiny that would make it recognizable on sight to the party. A staff of great arcane power that's not showing any aura looks like... A stick.
    Bear in mind, it's entirely possible that it's look alone will give it away. Yes, you could pass off an average wooden staff as a simple stick, but if you start walking around with an ebony staff which is covered in arcane runes that perpetually drip with blood and is topped with a sapphire which gleams with an unnatural inner light and whispers horrible thoughts into the minds of those that look directly at it, you might draw suspicion if you start claiming it's totally mundane.
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2008-05-02 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the Rules Compendium there are rules for disguising objects (page 106).
    It's nearly identical to disguising creatures except that your disguise roll is opposed by a search check rather than spot. Assuming that the staff is a small or medium object, it takes 1d8x10 minutes.

It's not a spell, but it will get the job done.
    Last edited by hylian chozo; 2008-05-02 at 10:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    If everything else fails, order Majora's mask to drop the moon on them. The night elves will be especially suprised at this.
    Thanks to _Puppetmaster_ for my avatar

Hylian of the church of Link's hat.

My Zelda related homebrews!
    Other homebrews:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hidden Flame (monster)
    The Sword Of Stone (Artifact)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Oh sure. The Disuise skill definitely helps if I cna have time. But if it's like "I found the cool STAFF OF ARCHMAGI AND I NEED TO DISGUISE IT NOW!" then it's less useful.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Bear in mind, it's entirely possible that it's look alone will give it away. Yes, you could pass off an average wooden staff as a simple stick, but if you start walking around with an ebony staff which is covered in arcane runes that perpetually drip with blood and is topped with a sapphire which gleams with an unnatural inner light and whispers horrible thoughts into the minds of those that look directly at it, you might draw suspicion if you start claiming it's totally mundane.
    I think that if you go walking around with that staff, it's going to draw suspicion no matter what its aura looks like.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh sure. The Disuise skill definitely helps if I cna have time. But if it's like "I found the cool STAFF OF ARCHMAGI AND I NEED TO DISGUISE IT NOW!" then it's less useful.
    Alright, how about casting persistant image over it as a quick fix, then store it in your bag of holding before anyone gets a chance to interact with it. Later, if you can get about ninety minute of free time, you can use the Disguise skill to make it look more ordinary.

I think that if you go walking around with that staff, it's going to draw suspicion no matter what its aura looks like.
    That's precisely the point. You need to disguise it, and pray it's not offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Rofl. A sentient Item can cast Disguise Self on itself.

query: If a Sentient Item casts Alter Self on itself, what can it turn into? What about Polymorph?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

query: If a Sentient Item casts Alter Self on itself, what can it turn into? What about Polymorph?
    IIRC According to the rules for such things, intelligent items are treated as Constructs. So construct-y things, I'd assume.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2008-05-02 at 11:53 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Umm...Transformers, Roll out??

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Disguise Self and Seeming both only work on creatures. Let's say I found some awesome Staff of Magic-ness and I wanted to disguise it to look like a staff of decrepit walking-stick, what spell would I use?
    Ask your DM to make all awesome staffs in your setting to look like Gandalf the Grey's walking stick. Failing that, make your character Gandalf. The guy makes an ivory staff seem like a walking stick to trained soldiers. Now that's an awesome bluff check.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    My old avatars, in order of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    If the players don't, its a glaive to the face.
    I was tempted to just have that say "Its a glaive to the face."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Deceptive Facade from Complete Mage, if your campaign happens to use that book. Works the same as Disguise Self except you can use it on others, including objects.