New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Showing A BBEG's Kind, Softer Side

Firstly, I would like to come clean: This thread isn't actually asking for help doing this, but rather one where the responders can throw ideas around about how to do this.

That being said, I would like to know how your villains would pet the dog, so to speak.

My example is from my (yet unstarted) 4E campaign, where one of the BBEGs owns a Siamese tabby, Ellie. That may sound like stereotypical villain fare, but for him, it's less about a symbolic metaphor of a vain nature and more about owning a pet that depends on him, makes him feel altruistic. Well, that, and he ranks with the best of 'em, so he's more likely to have a pet that personifies that independent and trickster streak. He's also a werefox, so his subconscious seeks another solitary predator to be with.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Showing A BBEG's Kind, Softer Side

I've always been a big fan of turning an ally into an enemy. It gives the PCs a chance to see the human side early on. And betraying the group is a wonderful way for a BBEG to personally earn their hatred instead of just being that guy who is going to take over the universe.

My favorite of these that I've ran was a halfling paladin. He was a member of an all halfling party. He saved the PCs on numerous occasions (I don't usually like saving PCs with NPCs, but showing them that this guy was powerful was useful for when they went against him). Eventually he couldn't take the racism against halfings, fell from grace, and became a blackguard and the end boss of the game.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

OP: How would you show the villain's softer side? (question)
    Me: I would give him a cat (response).
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2008-05-06 at 07:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

As detailed in the second line of the first post, the villain already has a cat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    This thread isn't actually asking for help doing this, but rather one where the responders can throw ideas around about how to do this.
    Emphasis mine. While Cuddly said something that had already been said, there's no need to harass him about it when he was contributing to the thread in the way that the OP had asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    Somebody set you up the bomb!
    That's pretty rude.
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2008-05-06 at 07:41 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #7

Hmm. While the cat is good, it's not NEARLY enough. A cat is not something that will be a living testament to the good side of the villain, and gettin' the cat BECAUSE he wants to look altruistic is terribly dehumanizing. No, what you need is loved ones, people who will hate the PC's for taking a kind man/woman whom they loved from them. THAT'S what you have to aim for.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Hmm. While the cat is good, it's not NEARLY enough. A cat is not something that will be a living testament to the good side of the villain, and gettin' the cat BECAUSE he wants to look altruistic is terribly dehumanizing. No, what you need is loved ones, people who will hate the PC's for taking a kind man/woman whom they loved from them. THAT'S what you have to aim for.
    Maybe a loved one that has been Baleful Polymorphed into a cat?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Make him a Philanthropist in his local city, plenty of people in the world today that I can only charactirze as Evil with big honking horns give money and time to charity, walk around talking about their charitable works and try to sell others on dedicating time and effort to noble cause X. All while profitting from horrendous things, perpetrating crimes against humanity and possibly eating small cute puppies. Have the PCs walk in on him talking to the local priest of Pelor or volunteering in an after-school club.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Yeah, that could work. If you have him invest a lot of his time and money, react really violently, and the like, it would work out fine.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Ah, two cats then.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Have the PCs walk in on him talking to the local priest of Pelor or volunteering in an after-school club.
    That latter one I can see, but not the first. He...has issues with the clergy of Pelor.

And yes, he has a loved one, albeit one who serves as one of his cheif minions and has an equal amount of hate for him.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

13. - Top - End - #13

Two cats would be swell.

But only if Leliel eliminates the "look altruistic" part. Nobody cares if the guy is Gandhi + Marting Luther King, that's so dehumanizing the players are going to pee on the corpse.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, the game I'm in almost had a pet the dog moment that is probably going to turn into something resembling irony.

Our party of level 3 trouble makers are trying to find the source of a local drug that suffers from violent (and animalistic) withdrawal symptoms. The party tracks them down to a camp a day and a half away and procede to sneak in under cover of night, wipe out the guards silently, and free the slaves used to make the drug. On our way out we manage to catch the drug lord and his girl friend out on a stroll. Before they even have a moment to react, our burly fighter forces the drug lord to the ground and beats him into unconsciousness and our mage reduces the girlfriend's health to 1 with a single well rolled spell. We captured them and took them in for trial while their camp burned.

The "ironic" part of this is that the DM tells me that if we'd looked a little harder we would have found the girlfriend's journal that suggests that she was pregnant and the drug lord had agreed only that morning to quit the business. Kinda takes a little wind from your sails to learn that and be reminded that the enemy is more than a faceless evil. Now there's a pretty good chance they're going to become our mortal enemies instead.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2008-05-06 at 04:35 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Me, I'd make him him....oh, a noted healer/doctor or something. You hear about how great he is. Maybe about that time you hear about some killings. Incredibly precise, killed with barely a mark, or any sign of WHAT did him in; the sort of thing only a master assassin or something could pull off. Then there's the VIOLENT killings that start turning up. Very gruesome, very bloody-it's as if the body turned on itself, or the nature of the body showed they died VERY slowly, with maximum pain.

....It's the same person talked about in all cases.

The guy still travels, healing the sick and what not, but he also kills to serve his purposes, and those purposes aren't sweetness and light. He's not doing the healing as cover: he genuinely wants to help people.

Doctors/healers are....worrying opponents. All that knowledge of the body, toxins, etc. is of great use when needing to kill and torture....

....I realise it's a disjointed idea; that's why I don't write.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

MY BBEG is actually doing something that would help the whole world. It just happens to go against the personal interests of the player characters.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    By him or someone else? It makes a difference. It really does.

Give the guy family that he honestly cares about; a kindergarten-aged daughter preferably. I would rather he have an old, senile hunting dog rather than a cat. The thing is stiff and gray and shakes... but he still takes it everywhere with him and cuts it scraps from his own food.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Koji View Post
    MY BBEG is actually doing something that would help the whole world. It just happens to go against the personal interests of the player characters.
    Well, obviously it's easier to make a sympathetic villain when the PCs are Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Well, obviously it's easier to make a sympathetic villain when the PCs are Evil.
    The PCs don't necessarily have to be evil. Different groups have different priorities and visions of how-the-world-is-supposed-to-be. One person extols the virtues of a world united under one government, another is willing to die for freedom however flawed. Who is right?

Nothing wrong with that sort of campaign.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Two Words: Common Enemy.

You're looking for a villain that's not big-e Evil, but just someone working against the PCs for basically creative differences, right?

Common Enemy works well for humanizing a BBEG.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

No, what you need is loved ones, people who will hate the PC's for taking a kind man/woman whom they loved from them. THAT'S what you have to aim for.
    If you really want to rub in the fact that this person genuinely cared about the BBEG, have them be a Paladin. If the loved one didn't know about the BBEG's evil activities, then for all he/she knows, you simply murdered him/her, and need to be brought to justice.
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Hectonkhyres View Post
    The PCs don't necessarily have to be evil. Different groups have different priorities and visions of how-the-world-is-supposed-to-be. One person extols the virtues of a world united under one government, another is willing to die for freedom however flawed. Who is right?

Nothing wrong with that sort of campaign.
    Well, he did say "personal interests of the PCs." Granted, I suppose it could be something along the lines of "We need to sacrifice your wife to avert the apocalypse," but the "personal interests" line made me think the PCs had less-than-honorable motives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree the easiest way is to make the villians goals noble, but only if seen from a particular perspective. Perhaps the villian in question has seen a catastrope in the distant or not-so-distant future and is working to prevent it, regardless of the costs of innocent lives in the here and now.

The PC's of course only see the bloodshed (there should be LOTS of this), and don't care about the villains motives for causing it. As they fight the villians lower level henchmen, introduce them to some of the people that they are saving. Make those NPC's the very definition of pure and kind people who are polite and give out useful but cheap freebies (Players love NPC's who give out free stuff.)

Over the course of the campaign, the PC's will be drawn elsewhere to fight. Meanwhile the main villian comes backs and pleads with the good people you left behind, explaining his motives to them personally. Of course, then all those people that were previously on the PC's side are now turned to the villian's side, who conveniently won't be around explaining when the PC's return.

The good NPC's will now beg the PC's to stop fighting the villian, explaining that he is trying to save them. Now the PC's are in a dilemna: Save the people the villian is killing, or hope that the villagers didn't get bluffed into believing a villianous lie. Either way they'll likely end up fighting to the villian, unsure of what they'll do when they finally confront him.

Bonus points if the villian confronts the PC with their own hypocrisy: How many of his servants did they kill to achieve their own selfish ends?

Now that I write it out like this, it kinda sounds like the plot to Watchmen.
    Last edited by Tokiko Mima; 2008-05-06 at 06:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Evil Overloard Tip #(?): I will have a family. Preferably, I will have at least one daughter or granddaughter under the age of 5 around whenever I am in my throne room. When the hero bursts in hoping to fight to the death, I will ask him to explain to her why he has to kill grandpa. When he launches into a longwinded explanation of morality that goes way over her head, she pulls a lever and drops him into a crocodile pit. This serves 3 purposes. It's always good to spend time with the kids, it eliminates my enemy, and what child doesn't love crocodiles?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

25. - Top - End - #25

Corollary: I'll make sure my granddaughter murders her mother. Don't want her trying to usurp my power.

And then I'll take her out for ice cream.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Give him a good PR agent.

<Story Time>
    My PCs were sent to kill a dread necromancer that had been (allegedly) attacking a camp of Centaurs. I had my PCs walk in to the BBEG dressed in the cliche blackguard garb, wearing a small (green) baby on the front of his armor, and beating a man who was suspended from the ceiling like a pinata. By the time the vizier/diplomancer was done, the PCs were actually rather impressed with the BBEG who appeared to be running a halfway-house of sorts for reforming evil species. While the brigade of orcs and bugbears the PCs had mercilessly slaughtered had been trained in combat, they were having their skills put to more positive uses (including crudely made macaroni-framed cross-stitchings above the throne made of skulls reading "You can't spell slaughter without laughter" and "lair, sweet lair"). The baby and pinata-man were explained away as being part of the BBEG's minion-benefit package that included the daycare and chiropractic services.

The players came to assassinate him. They left praising him.

Of course, this meant that the time I spent developing a pair of high-level spell-casters, researching the homebrew Baby of Wonder, designing a library maze (later to be a burning library maze) and a cinematic final fight turned out to be a waste of time, but generating semi-plausible excuses to go with the high diplomacy/bluff rolls made me feel good about my English degree
    </story time>

Again, get a good PR agent. He doesn't need to have a softer side. He simply needs to look like he has one.

P.S. That cat people keep suggesting could actually be an electricity weapon; After 3 rounds of petting the cat's static charge can deal 1d8 electrical damage on a touch attack. Commoner's beware!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ozzymandias from the Watchmen. Model your BBEG on that guy.
    Dragonseth says,
    On a related note: Support Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium! Practice random mating!
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.