New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default 4e some random bits of info from En World

seen at top of http://www.enworld.org/
    which in turn is taken from http://www.enworld.org/showthread.ph...5&page=1&pp=15
    * Nearly every class has 4 At-Wills available to chose from at 1st level, Wizard has 5. Same goes for Encounters. Fighter, Paladin and Rogue have 3 Dailys, everyone else has 4. More become available at higher levels.
    * The Dragonborn breath type is chosen at character creation. Also, Dragonborn Females do have boobs, at least in the picture.
    * Multi-Classing requires a related Stat of 13+. Each class has an Initiate Feat associated with it. Get to pick 1 Skill from class, also get 1 specified power. There are also 3 Power Swap Feats starting at 4th level. Swap any (Encounter Attack, Utility, Daily) Power you have for one of equal or lower level from your chosen Multi-Class. The 3 feats are of different levels, one for each power type (Encounter, Utility, Daily.)
    * 2-weapon fighting is a feat, but just gives a damage bonus, not an extra attack. The ranger can take an at-will that gives him an extra attack.
    * Shifters are actually cool. Once the hit bloodied, they get an ability that kicks in and last the last of the encounter that adds +2 spd and I believe + dmg (for shifter: razorclaw). The other shifter had another + ability that kicked in at bloodied and lasted the whole time.
    * Rogues are AMAZING. Like seriously, damn near Op. At 3rd level they get a utility power that lets them re-roll any bluff check (Trigger: when player rolls bluff, and doesn't like the look of the roll.) They also have a nice garrotte ability that does 7w and can be held for a bit...fun thing about holding it is that attacks on the rogue have a possibility of hitting the person you're choking). They get auto-escpape grapple abilities, and lots of things playing off Combat advantage (including one that we figured could add 7W dmg +10d8 +dex mod). Very sick.
    * Starpact warlocks can throw you into the stars and bring you back bent...and infernal pact locks can banish someone to hell for a time (keeping them there for up to 3 rounds with a minor action).
    * If you take multiclassing paragon path option, you get an at will ability of your new class at 11, and a new encounter and daily at upper levels.
    * Minotaurs are a MM race, and get a fun per encounter charge attack, and +2str and +2 con.
    * Doppelgangers get a "look like another humanoid" ability that's at will effectively.
    * Gnomes. GNOMES. Gnomes are insane. Gnomes can *turn invis* once per encounter after they've taken dmg. They can also choose to roll "hide" instead of intialtive at the start of an encounter. Hello Gnome Rogue. And by "hello" I mean, "Please, for the love of god, stop stabbing me in the back." My friends quote was "Man, I hate gnomes! They're stupid! But now I can't stop picturing a pack of gnomes sitting in the trees doing the clicking noise that the Predators make in the alien movies. Stupid stealth gnomes. I'm going to have to play one."
    * Bugbears get a dmg bonus for combat advantage I believe.
    * Rituals: range from cheap to learn and cast to expensive. As an example: Raise Dead costs 650GP to learn uses a 500gp reagent, and "scales" at levels. At lowever levels, it's "free" except for the reagent cost." At medium levels it's 5,000gp. And at epic levels it's 50,000. Oh, and the raised person gets a penalty of -1 until you've passed "3" milestones.
    * Oh, and another interesting/weird feature....there is an easy to cast ritual that clears 1 status ailment (curse, disease, etc) each time it's cast, but with a catch. You make a heal check, and your result ='s how much dmg the TARGET sick player takes while being healed. SO, a low roll can kill outright, or can do dmg. A high roll causes very little dmg.
    * Timestop is a spell in 4e. Gives you 2 extra actions, neither of which can be used for attack.
    * Trapfinding is part of thievery.
    * Tumbling is a Rogue Utility power. Once per encounter, shift half your base move.
    * +1 to each of two different stats at about every 4th level, but there are a few levels (I think 11 and 21) where every stat gets a +1 bonus.
    * Star Pacts - One ability throws the person into "A dark and twisted area of space", for 7d10 dmg (and this could be off, I didn't write it down) where they float for a bit then fall down "mad"...considering everyone there enemy. They take Opportunity Attacks on everyone, and consider everyone an enemy. I honestly got a psudonatural flavor...not in the "weird tentacle" way, but in the "things man was not meant to know kind of way."
    * Warforged were in the book too, but stripped down a bit. Less immunities. And their encounter ability felt to me a bit meh...once per encounter when blodied you heal con mod + 1/2 level. Still, not a bad race...but not so zomg overpowered as they once were.
    * The following monsters were listed with some info for use as playable character races: Bugbear, Doppleganger, Drow, Githyanki, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Minotaur, Orc, Shadar-Kai, Shifter (2 types), Warforged.
    * These are the listed Dragons: Black, Blue, Green, Red, White.
    * There are 5 Alignments: Good, Lawful Good, Evil, Chaotic Evil, Unaligned. Among the gods I did not see any evil or CE listed.
    * I did get a bit on the Warforged: +2 STR, +2 CON, Speed 6, Vision Normal, +2 to Endurance Skill, Can wear armor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e some random bits of info from En World

Interesting, only 5 alignments.

I love the gnomes. They rock.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, i love that Gnomes now get super sweet Gninja powers as racial abilities. And star pact looks awesome.
    As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall know no fear, for i have three lives remaining and god mode enabled.

Pastry Chef of the Lord Shojo Fanclub

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I am dissapointed there only four 1st level at-will abilities for each class. I hope they add more abilities in supplements. Especially wizards. I don't want every wizard to have magic missile.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warforged wearing armor? Meh.

Gnome as uberstealthers? Color me interested.

Predator-style feral gnomes making clicking noises at the party from the depths of the jungle?

Oh, man, I might have to steal that.

Edit: Shadar-Kai?
    Last edited by Glawackus; 2008-05-17 at 09:10 PM.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Alignment is dumb but easily changeable.

Everything else, awesome++.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Alignment is dumb but easily changeable.

Everything else, awesome++.
    Yeah, I saw that. I facepalmed. I'd rather just have Good and Evil, or just Law and Chaos, in any given game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. I facepalmed. I'd rather just have Good and Evil, or just Law and Chaos, in any given game.
    Those would be preferable for me as well, though I'm tempted to simply not have alignment spelled out in my game. At first, it sounds like a Great Wheel game with no alignment wouldn't work, but maybe it would actually work better if you just relied on the personality of each planar inhabitant to give them weight, rather than alignment.

Demons eat babies.
    Devils trick nuns into eating babies and then laugh.
    Inevitables check the devils for their baby-eating permits, see that their papers are in order, and then go beat up a nearby jaywalker.
    ...and so forth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Dr_D View Post
    I don't want every wizard to have magic missile.
    How else are we supposed to attack the darkness?
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm a little irritated with the whole: Law=Good and Chaos=Evil concept...

I mean... Law/Chaos is a part of the alignment system I'm most fond of, because it's spectrum allows for a lot more freedom than "Good-Evil" With different interpretations. Communism, Fascism, and all that...

hell that was the whole premise of Marvel Civil War... Law v. Chaos! In a really really summarized sorta way.

Anyway, other than that, I'm stoked...

Wait...

Being a BETTER Healer means I do MORE damage when I commit to dangerous surgical rituals!?
    Member of a fanclub.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh wow, i just saw that alignment thing. That's just dumb. apparently lawful is automatically good and chaotic is automatically evil now? Ignoring totalitarian oppressive 1984 style states and the freedom fighters that oppose them utterly, are we?
    As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall know no fear, for i have three lives remaining and god mode enabled.

Pastry Chef of the Lord Shojo Fanclub

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Faceless View Post
    Oh wow, i just saw that alignment thing. That's just dumb. apparently lawful is automatically good and chaotic is automatically evil now? Ignoring totalitarian oppressive 1984 style states and the freedom fighters that oppose them utterly, are we?
    That's not how I'm reading it. You have good or you have lawful good. A lawful good type strives to uphold the laws and do the right thing by all. A generally good person isn't tied into any particular code of conduct, they just do good in whatever way presents itself.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Dear God, they managed to make alignment even dumber than in 3ed. Truly, I'm impressed. Good thing it's allegedly easy to ignore. Lack of evil gods is even worse.
    Goblins as a playable race is a good thing, but Warforged being core isn't. Well, whatever, I'll just ignore them like Dragonborn.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The good
    Rogues sound cool. So do warlocks, but there's something... off... about the apparent fact that if you're sent to hell, you will automatically pop back within a few seconds. I'm sure someone will angrily post a convoluted piece of fluff in response that handwaves this because a wizard did it, but logically it should be easier to send someone on a one-way trip than to also get them back.

Well, looks like they found a niche for gnomes, after all their explanations that they removed gnomes from the PHB because they couldn't find a niche for them But I must say I don't really like the concept of warforged, except in specific technomagical settings. And how exactly does an animated suit of armor wear armor?

Playing a shifter or doppel is nice (although an ability that gives +2 speed and +1 damage, while useful, is not very high on my scale of "cool"). Anyway, lots of playable races can only be a good thing.

It's funny that they cure disease by bloodletting now, but slightly weird that the same method works on curses. Still, as we know, bloodletting cures everything. Sometimes terminally. Also, it's good that raise dead has a consequence, but I wonder what a milestone is?

The bad
    A selection of four or five different powers at level one. That's not all that much choice, and I wouldn't be surprised if certain powers were simply better or not worth it. By comparison, 3E warlocks get their pick out of fifteen straight out of the book.

Apparently classes other than rangers can't dual wield, or at least, can't make two attacks. While I'm sure that speeds up combat, it's also one less option. Likewise, non-rogues can't tumble any more. I'm not too fond of this segregation, actually.

Timestop doesn't sound interesting. It gives 2 actions, but spells cost an action to activate, do they not? Also, we haven't seen any self-buffing or summoning actions yet that weren't attacks. Then again, time stop as written in 3E deserves some nerfing.

The ugly
    Lizards with boobs. Predictable but stupid. Likewise, alignment is still silly, but presumably still easily ignored.

Wanna bet that Black, Blue, Green, Red and White dragons are all evil antagonists, and breathe acid, lightning, gas, fire and frost respectively?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

From a technical standpoint, alignments are being more or less removed altogether. Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil are kept because they are extreme cases with mechanical differences, as do Good/Unaligned/Evil. Any mechanical differences that used to exist between Neutral Good and Chaotic Good are probably long gone, same goes for Lawful/Neutral Evil, and all 3 Neutrals.

In short, players are no longer compelled to simplify a complex character into a simple alignment. The alignments that remain are only the distinct categories that have mechanical properties. The players are being given the freedom to make their character how they wish without having to worry about acting arbitrarily according to the alignment.

Granted, if you prefer the alignment system as it was before, you can keep it, as it doesn't mechanically do much now anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK I hate 4e with a passion just because they killed off multiplayer (then rolled the corpse in 2e rules) and I hate the 'powers' system. Martial is a power, really? My arm is a power?
    I... don't mind lizards with boobs at all. It's the only welcome change. Yes I'm single.
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If I was DM, I would have the code of conduct of religious characters such as clerics, Paldins and rangers defined by the god that they follow. Palidins would lose their Paladin powers for isntance when theys tray too far from the path of their god, and not too far from lawfull good. from that perspective there would be at least as many alignments as their are gods.

role pklaying wise hyou can have whatever alignment you want. mechaniscal wise PC alignment will have no effect on the game. There will not be items only usable by evil characters for instance, and the players will not need to be worried about being exposed to spells that only effect good aligned creatures.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
    OK I hate 4e with a passion just because they killed off multiplayer (then rolled the corpse in 2e rules) and I hate the 'powers' system. Martial is a power, really? My arm is a power?
    I... don't mind lizards with boobs at all. It's the only welcome change. Yes I'm single.
    Well, err, yes. Haven't you read any courses in physics?
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    ...Lack of evil gods...
    BZZT! They exist.

There's a reason Angels can be any alignment, you know.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    BZZT! They exist.

There's a reason Angels can be any alignment, you know.
    No joke. Vecna and Asmodeus are confirmed as gods in 4e. And they're both Evil. I think Tharizdun is in as well, as the deity that created the abyss.
    "Where we have strong emotions we are liable to fool ourselves." -Carl Sagan

Super sweet Gordon "The One Free Man" Freeman avatar by Elvaris

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

In this case what does this:
    Among the gods I did not see any evil or CE listed.
    statement do in OP? Either OP's informations are incomplete or evil gods aren't listed as possible for PCs to worship, only for cultists whom PCs fight.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

...It means exactly what it says. "I didn't see it". There are Evil Gods in the core books, dood.

Or at least, the previews have made it clear that there will be evil gods.
    Last edited by Rutee; 2008-05-18 at 02:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Dr_D View Post
    I am dissapointed there only four 1st level at-will abilities for each class. I hope they add more abilities in supplements. Especially wizards. I don't want every wizard to have magic missile.
    I think you counted wrong.

If you have 5 choices (wizard have 5): you get to choose or 3 if human.

If you don't want; magic missile don't take it. You still have 4 choices than.
    Remember, you never get anymore at will powers (you do get to trade them in for higher level ones like 3.5 Sorcerors). You only get additional slots for Encounter and Daily as you level.

The OP didn't say you had to take it.

A Milestone is 2 encounters (same time as when you get Action point).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

...It means exactly what it says. "I didn't see it". There are Evil Gods in the core books, dood.

Or at least, the previews have made it clear that there will be evil gods.
    It would seem, then, this thalamin fellow from ENWorld forums, from whom this quote originates, has overlooked something.
    I wouldn't rule out evil gods not being listed as possible for PCs to worship, though. It fits with WoTC's "PCs are the good guys" philosophy presented so far.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-05-18 at 03:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

I think you're confusing protagonist with good guy, really..

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I think you're confusing protagonist with good guy, really..
    I don't think so. So far, we've seen that angels won't be purely Good creatures because PCs are supposed to be the good guys so they wouldn't fight them very often. We have also seen PCs being referred to as "heroes" or "soft-hearted scoundrels" and fighting villains and monsters. Sure, it might be just regular raqmbling, but this thing with angels makes me a bit more suspicious.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

AssassinGuy

I don't think so. So far, we've seen that angels won't be purely Good creatures because PCs are supposed to be the good guys so they wouldn't fight them very often. We have also seen PCs being referred to as "heroes" or "soft-hearted scoundrels" and fighting villains and monsters. Sure, it might be just regular raqmbling, but this thing with angels makes me a bit more suspicious.
    Check out 3.5, where evil parties are very much in the minority. You get the occasional evil character, but I've seen very few evil games. Creatures that only evil parties can expect to fight really don't see much use.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Check out 3.5, where evil parties are very much in the minority. You get the occasional evil character, but I've seen very few evil games. Creatures that only evil parties can expect to fight really don't see much use.
    Nevertheless, the option should be here. Just because a type of character is a minority doesn't mean it should be completely ignored.
    And anyway, I'm not so much speaking about parties and characters who are Evil with a capital E, but rather about more petty evil, i.e characters being armed thugs using their extraordinary prowess to gain wealth and fame. That's how my D&D group looks like, but I fear such type of character might be neglected in 4ed in favor of PCs being dashing action heroes.
    It might be a moot point since Evil gods might very well still be in core books ready for PCs to worship, but for now, I remain suspicious.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-05-18 at 03:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

If all you're concerned with is petty evil, isn't evil deity worship counter to that? Regardless, I suspect that at worst, it'll be in the DMG or MM, ready to adapt for players.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Nevertheless, the option should be here. Just because a type of character is a minority doesn't mean it should be completely ignored.
    And anyway, I'm not so much speaking about parties and characters who are Evil with a capital E, but rather about more petty evil, i.e characters being armed thugs using their extraordinary prowess to gain wealth and fame. That's how my D&D group looks like, but I fear such type of character might be neglected in 4ed in favor of PCs being dashing action heroes.
    It might be a moot point since Evil gods might very well still be in core books ready for PCs to worship, but for now, I remain suspicious.
    [sarcasm]Yah. Cause it's not a simple job to jerry rig an evil campaign with current rules. At all. [/sarcasm]

But seriously, simple little rewrite on that, and you've got an evil game. Easy as killing kobolds.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2008-05-18 at 05:47 PM.
    The Bear is Back.