New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default 4e: Don't take magic missile for your wizard

People have been making rather odd remarks that Magic Missile is a must for a wizard, and that they would in fact use no other ability. This is odd because of the 3 out of the 5 level 1 at-will wizard abilities revealed so far, Magic Missile is probably the weakest so far.

The 3 currently known level 1 at will wizard abilities:
    Magic Missile: Ranged 20, 2d4+Int force damage, counts as basic ranged attack
    Ray of Frost: Ranged 10, 1d6+Int cold damage, target is slowed
    Scorching Burst: Area Burst 1 within 10 squares, 1d6+Int fire damage

People have been saying that because Magic Missile deals 5+Modifier damage rather than 3.5+Modifier damage on average for the other 2, it is better. However, the Wizard is not a Striker, it is a Controller. If it tries to go DPS blaster mage, it will be completely outperformed by the actual Arcane Striker, the Warlock. The Warlock's Eldritch Blast+Curse combo deals 8+Modifier damage on average instead.

In short, while spamming Magic Missile with a level 1 wizard can actually be done in 4e unlike 3.5e, it is still not using the Wizard properly. Now, lets take a look at the other 2 abilities and how they do fit the controller role.

Ray of Frost slows an enemy, reducing their movement to 2. Remember that the spell's range is 10. That means that against a charging Orc, whose movement is 8, you could instead slow it to a standstill and land multiple attacks, to say nothing of your allies. Reducing to 2 movement makes the enemy easy pickings for you and your allies. You could even shoot the enemy, retreat, shoot again, retreat, and so on.

Scorching Blast deals damage to a 9 square box. Except when fighting a boss, this ability will reliably deal more damage than Magic Missile will. When used against minions, it can insta-kill several enemies at once, as it only needs to damage, and it is thus not important that it deals 1.5 less damage on average than Magic Missile does.

The only thing going for Magic Missile is if you have a Warlord in your party granted you extra ranged attacks. Outside of that, it is simply not a useful ability for the wizard to have except as a backup, as Warlocks and Rangers are both far better at blasting enemies from a distance with ranged attacks.
    Last edited by wodan46; 2008-05-21 at 08:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 4e: Don't take magic missile for your wizard

But... but... what will I cast at the darkness?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

And so it begins... 4e optimisation and rules mastery discussion.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

This discussion would be easier if we knew the rules to 4th edition.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~amwhit/4e_PrRC_v2_6.pdf

and knowing is half the battle.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Also note that magic missile has twice the range of the others, so it's a more specialized spell for long-range combat vs. single targets. One is a debuff with some damage and the other is an area attack.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wodan46 View Post
    People have been making rather odd remarks that Magic Missile is a must for a wizard, and that they would in fact use no other ability.
    Link to comments made in that vein?
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Plus, it's Magic Missile. You can't not take it, or you're a communist and a subversive.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

People have been making rather odd remarks that Magic Missile is a must for a wizard, and that they would in fact use no other ability. This is odd because of the 3 out of the 5 level 1 at-will wizard abilities revealed so far, Magic Missile is probably the weakest so far.

The 3 currently known level 1 at will wizard abilities:
    Magic Missile: Ranged 20, 2d4+Int force damage, counts as basic ranged attack
    Ray of Frost: Ranged 10, 1d6+Int cold damage, target is slowed
    Scorching Burst: Area Burst 1 within 10 squares, 1d6+Int fire damage

People have been saying that because Magic Missile deals 5+Modifier damage rather than 3.5+Modifier damage on average for the other 2, it is better. However, the Wizard is not a Striker, it is a Controller. If it tries to go DPS blaster mage, it will be completely outperformed by the actual Arcane Striker, the Warlock. The Warlock's Eldritch Blast+Curse combo deals 8+Modifier damage on average instead.
    There's no warlock in the preview adventure.

Ray of Frost slows an enemy, reducing their movement to 2. Remember that the spell's range is 10. That means that against a charging Orc, whose movement is 8, you could instead slow it to a standstill and land multiple attacks, to say nothing of your allies. Reducing to 2 movement makes the enemy easy pickings for you and your allies. You could even shoot the enemy, retreat, shoot again, retreat, and so on.
    This doesn't help much if the orc is already right next to your buddy. Also, nobody charges in this edition. Charging sucks.
    Scorching Blast deals damage to a 9 square box. Except when fighting a boss, this ability will reliably deal more damage than Magic Missile will. When used against minions, it can insta-kill several enemies at once, as it only needs to damage, and it is thus not important that it deals 1.5 less damage on average than Magic Missile does.
    If you can catch several enemies in the blast, this is good. However, as soon as those minions get interspersed with your party, this power is useless.
    The only thing going for Magic Missile is if you have a Warlord in your party granted you extra ranged attacks. Outside of that, it is simply not a useful ability for the wizard to have except as a backup, as Warlocks and Rangers are both far better at blasting enemies from a distance with ranged attacks.
    And that it does more damage to an enemy who is already engaged with your defender and you, thusly, hope never moves again.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

counts as basic ranged attack
    this is a good reson to take it.. for attack of opp

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    Plus, it's Magic Missile. You can't not take it, or you're a communist and a subversive.
    What that guy said

Seriously though each of the wizards abilities has a time and place. Maybe you dont expect to out damage the warlock or ranger, but you want to do more damage than you could with either of your other attacks. Plus they use different defenses so in addition it may be easier to hit someone with magic missile than with Ray of Frost, which is vs. Fort.

But seriously, not take magic missile? You almost had me there....

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

While its true that Ray of Frost and Scorching Burst aren't useful against targets directly next to allies or more than 10 squares away, the majority of the time you will be able to do so.

When you can't, magic missile is still inferior to eldritch blast+curse, or bow+ranger's quarry, both of which can be triggered by a basic ranged attack.

Yes, my comments were direct to Skywalker's thread. I think that the scenario gives an unfair portrayal of the role of a wizard for 2 reasons:
    1. The scenario in question does not have a prepared warlock or ranger, which are for more effective as ranged strikers than a magic missile throwing wizard.
    2. Kobolds seem to be a prominent enemy in it, and kobolds are a nightmare for a controller, as they are constantly shifting this way and that, making it difficult to pin them down.
    Last edited by wodan46; 2008-05-21 at 09:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Its 20 range is also a factor in the favor of Magic Missile, that advantage over the 10 range RoF and SB doesn't seem to have been mentioned at all here. That can make a pretty decent difference in a lot of battles.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-05-21 at 09:24 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm. What is the rule for determining how many spells you know in 4e? Is it loose enough that you can get all the spells you'd want to use?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Just be a human and take all three.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I have to stress that YOU SHOULD NOT JUDGE 4E BY THIS DOCUMENT, it is assembled by community members from potentially
    outdated preview material and some pretty clever guess-work by fans, but that is all. It gives impatient players a single place to see what
    has been revealed (and what might be deduced), and it can give you an idea how it "might" play, but for goodness sake, wait until you get
    your hands on the final official Core Rulebooks in June before you make any final conclusions.
    Wodan, it helps if you read the source you're citing. Simply put, that document is not a valid source, by it's own admission on the first page. We haven't seen the official, final rules for most of your argument.
    Wenton Miles: Grey Jedi SECR Vong PBP

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've heard that, in the wild, if one DM encroaches upon the territory of another, the offended DM will attempt to assert their dominance by throwing sacks of d12s at the intruder. If this activity proves fruitless, the DM generally shrinks back to their den in defeat, relinquishing the land, only to blog about it on their MySpace later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    . . . the designers probably felt weird giving monsters Schrödinger's hit points.

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer42 View Post
    Wodan, it helps if you read the source you're citing. Simply put, that document is not a valid source, by it's own admission on the first page. We haven't seen the official, final rules for most of your argument.
    Meh, a lot of stuff out there has the warning you cited, but its still pretty well verified at this point.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

There are 5 at will abilities available for level 1 wizards. You get to pick 3 of them if you are Human and 2 otherwise. So, in theory, you could pick all 3 of these if you are human, but we have to find out what the other 2 are first. I hope that they are something like Color Spray or Grease, but those have likely been converted into utility spells.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    If you can catch several enemies in the blast, this is good. However, as soon as those minions get interspersed with your party, this power is useless.
    Unless you are chaotic evil.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Unless you are chaotic evil.
    its just evil now remeber... mahaha

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

2. Kobolds seem to be a prominent enemy in it, and kobolds are a nightmare for a controller, as they are constantly shifting this way and that, making it difficult to pin them down.
    Which is why you shouldn't put all your eggs in the "control" basket. Kobolds are a very common low level enemy in 3.5, I think they will continue to be in 4e. If the party gets into a situation like those in the preview adventure, what is a magic missile-less wizard going to do?
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Scorching Burst carefully will still work. Most of the time, you can avoid hitting your allies even in close combat, and even then, they will probably dodge and not get hurt, while the kobold minions will die automatically.

However, why can't the party just retreat with defenders and leaders covering, in order to get the strikers and controllers out of the melee mess and bombard from a distance?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

However, why can't the party just retreat with defenders and leaders covering, in order to get the strikers and controllers out of the melee mess and bombard from a distance?
    That would depend on your combat scenario. If you are out in the wide open with no cover then you have nowhere to retreat to. If the enemy have ranged attackers then you have the problem that if you can hit them, they can hit you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

And not every situation calls for an AoE spell. Do you really want to be dropping an exploding ball of flame in a wooden structure, or a mine with important wooden braces? Or what if you enemy is immune to cold or fire?
    Wenton Miles: Grey Jedi SECR Vong PBP

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've heard that, in the wild, if one DM encroaches upon the territory of another, the offended DM will attempt to assert their dominance by throwing sacks of d12s at the intruder. If this activity proves fruitless, the DM generally shrinks back to their den in defeat, relinquishing the land, only to blog about it on their MySpace later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    . . . the designers probably felt weird giving monsters Schrödinger's hit points.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Your speculations are largely meaningless until the game's release. CHILL OUT GUYS.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

We can't yet judge on how useful the ability to count as a standard ranged attack is, depending on how the system works out, it could be enough to push MM over the edge, and considering that damage will scale out of control much slower then in 3e, that 2 extra damage will mean something (not to mention two dice generates a bell curve which is much more reliable then a single die). Also, non-elemental damage usually is(I'm assuming) preferable to elemental damage(as in 3e).

I figure it will all be up to personal preference and the concept you are running with. If I'm correct humans get an extra at-will ability so they won't have to make as tough of a choice.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Given a choice of two of those three, I'd probably take magic missile and ray of frost. I think an AOE blast is going to be more useful as an encounter power, as you can most likely get a much bigger and more powerful blast out of it. Of the three options given of debuffing, aoe, and easy damage, AOE is the only one that's likely possible to get out of the way all at once.

Mind you, I think magic missile to be quite lackluster. If any of the other powers count as a basic ranged attack I'm very likely to take those instead.
    Last edited by Squash Monster; 2008-05-22 at 12:07 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    Your speculations are largely meaningless until the game's release. CHILL OUT GUYS.
    Clearly you are not famaliar with internet forums :) Our speculations are largely meaningless only AFTER the game's release. Until then it gives folks plenty of room to tell others they are uninformed compared to ourselves as there is no basis of comparison.....

Just kidding, a lot of the information out there has been handed out by WotC since the books have all actually been printed already which means the rules are out there if you want to look for them. Enough accurate information from the designers is out there to make provide info on how gameplay will be done, not mere speculations.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It sound like the wizard spells are quite well balanced then. I take back my original statement on wizards always needing magic misile. I disgree with the title in the thread though. Magic missile would be the only spell the wizard can use wehn at a distance.

What at-will spells you take would depend on what you encoutner powers are. If you take magic misile, then you would want to take short range encounter powers. And if you take short range at-will powers, you may want melf's acid arrow to componsate.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    what about when evocation is one of your banned schools?