New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4e: Rest

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 4e: Rest

Ok, I know it's not official, but I was looking through This Document and it says

An extended rest is akin to “camping” and lasts 6 hours. After an extended rest, you’re fully healed, you have a full compliment of healing surges, you have your daily powers back, and you reset your action points to 1. You can take an extended rest once a day.
    WTF!?

If I read this right, then a character can take no lasting damage. A full day of being battered to bits, ripped to shreds, having possibly been down to negative hit points, and possibly (if no cleric is available) a hasty heal check to work out which way round his kidneys go, and he gets up the next morning as if nothing has happened.

I repeat...

W...T.....F?!!???

The following rules are integral to any roleplaying game:
    Rule 0: The Gamesmaster is always right.
    Rule 7: Do not take the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Belkar is 4chan.
    CE sociopath with a surprising number of fans; loves cats. Sometimes amusing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e: Rest

You sleep through the night (6 hours of rest) and are fully healed. Much easier system than the Character level + con.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Last_resort_33 View Post
    Ok, I know it's not official, but I was looking through This Document and it says

WTF!?

If I read this right, then a character can take no lasting damage. A full day of being battered to bits, ripped to shreds, having possibly been down to negative hit points, and possibly (if no cleric is available) a hasty heal check to work out which way round his kidneys go, and he gets up the next morning as if nothing has happened.

I repeat...

W...T.....F?!!???

What D&D has ever done, healing spells.

Repeat after me:

DUH!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

WTF!?

I repeat...

W...T.....F?!!???
    Problem? Resting is pretty much a full heal in 3rd ed, since the cleric can burn all their stuff to heal you at that point

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

W. O. W. (Not in the positive sense.)

This is pretty inalienable proof of a leaning towards computer game style mechanics. It shoots internal realism to pot!

I think we have a subject for a future OotS joke.

@healing spells; yes, but now even those without clerics can heel out of combat, for no apparent reason,
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-05-22 at 08:16 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose this is just another mark that I play different than most. I've been doing full healing sleeps forever, since I've never really considered having to rest three months after taking like 12 damage to be a particularly interesting or integral part of the game.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
    W. O. W. (Not in the positive sense.)

This is pretty inalienable proof of a leaning towards computer game style mechanics. It shoots internal realism to pot!

I think we have a subject for a future OotS joke.
    I hope that's sarcasm. Because it's not like you ALWAYS got full healed after rest, right?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it that hard to believe?

You get X number of healing surges per day, but can only use 1 per encounter yourself.

Most of the preview characters had 6-9 healing surges. A healing surge heals you of 1/4 of your hit points.

Even without this resting mechanic... 4 healing surges out of combat and you're back at full...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I know, we should return to the grand old days of yore where everyone got fully healed moments before they rested.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
    No more then hit points does. Since hit points aren't necessarily a measure of actually getting hit now, it actually makes a good amount of sense to get them all back after resting.

@healing spells; yes, but now even those without clerics can heel out of combat, for no apparent reason,
    Waiting's boring. That's a reason.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Other threads have said that HP fluctuates wildly round by round in combat, if that's true then this would just make a cleric-less party's life easier.

Yes, it may not have as much realism as it did before (realism that even in 3.5 the players actively tried to throw out the window with Cure x Wounds and Restore spells), but it'll be less bookkeeping.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hitpoints are not a direction representation of physical durability, and never have been. They are an abstraction, nothing more.

13. - Top - End - #13

Honestly, that's kind of how I always DMed it anyhow. *ducks*
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glawackus View Post
    Honestly, that's kind of how I always DMed it anyhow. *ducks*
    More proof that great minds think like me,

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Karn! Ardam's been Petrified and is at -6 HP!"

"TO THE INN!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    "Karn! Ardam's been Petrified and is at -6 HP!"

"TO THE INN!"
    TARARARARARARARA!

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

you know that this is contingent on your DM actually allowing you a full rest right?

a random night encounter.........

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

How were healing spells less realistic, Ryuuk? Considering how D&D is a high magic setting, I'd say they fit in from a realism perspective.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    I suppose this is just another mark that I play different than most. I've been doing full healing sleeps forever, since I've never really considered having to rest three months after taking like 12 damage to be a particularly interesting or integral part of the game.
    seconded, in truth sleep = full heal has always existed in the form of cleric burning off their remaining spells and leaving the party to top up off their level based hp recovery

this system is just making what existed in 3.5 already, mechanically feasible in 4e, since you require 5 minute rests to recover encounter spells, making burning off spare spells at the end of the day impossible.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    More proof that great minds think like me,

EGOTIST, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Hey it worked in Neverwinter knights. Oh wait....

Here is the deal, magical healing, no problem. logical healing, no problem (healing slowly over a course of time). Healing with magical aid fine. But simply lying down and getting fully healed? Ok, i'm sorry, how much does 4E have to work to make this game nothing more than a PC centered hack fest. I mean really, this is getting to the point of patronizing. And the video game elements are extremely flinch worthy at this point

That being said, i freaking called it

Waiting's boring. That's a reason.
    Oh yes, PC Entitlement, improving the game by taking away any sense of challenge. Is 4E suppose to be Dynasty Warriors or FF i wonder
    from
    EE
    Last edited by EvilElitest; 2008-05-22 at 08:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by leperkhaun View Post
    you know that this is contingent on your DM actually allowing you a full rest right?

a random night encounter.........
    This is also very true. Don't want 'em to heal up? Throw a bunch of goblins at them or something. "Sorry, rest insufficient for healing."
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    Hey it worked in Neverwinter knights. Oh wait....

Here is the deal, magical healing, no problem. logical healing, no problem (healing slowly over a course of time). Healing with magical aid fine. But simply lying down and getting fully healed? Ok, i'm sorry, how much does 4E have to work to make this game nothing more than a PC centered hack fest. I mean really, this is getting to the point of patronizing. And the video game elements are extremely flinch worthy at this point

That being said, i freaking called it

Oh yes, PC Entitlement, improving the game by taking away any sense of challenge. Is 4E suppose to be Dynasty Warriors or FF i wonder
    from
    EE
    Look at the bright side, EE, we get the more uses of the Batman Theme.

24. - Top - End - #24

How many times have you heard "well I've got 5 level 0 and 2 1st level spells left, who's worst off?" after a day of hard combat.

Secondly, what about non magical healing... If you don't HAVE a cleric (indeed you might have a warlord in the Leader role) then it's crazy. I've just had my spleen ripped out, but I'm fine now. these people might be heroes, but even Conan couldn't just sleep off a sword to the gut.

There's never even been a semi permanent wound system. Very Low HP I have always taken to represent a broken arm, a cut to the gut that's likely to split at any time or something like that, some stuff which doesn't always heal quickly. rules for that can get overcomplicated, so give a little bit of give, I understand that HP often is an abstraction of what other games call a stamina score, which would be fine to heal overnight, but all those games have a separate wounds score, that takes a heck of a long time to bring back up. HP is a further simplification of that, but the new rules seem not to take into account the latter part.

I think that this is an abominable rule, it takes a lot of strategy out of dungeoneering, and takes a lot of excitement out of planning the week ahead.

DM:The Demon slams frank against the cliff face, slices across his with claws the size of swords, something squishy flies out and goes plop against Durgak's shield.
    Durgak:"BLOODY HELL FRANK HE'S RIPPED OUT YOUR SPLEEN!! WHAT ARE YOU GUNNA DO? THE CLERIC'S BEEN TURNED TO SQUISH!!!"
    Frank:"'salright mate, I'll grow another one in the morning"
    Last edited by Last_resort_33; 2008-05-22 at 08:49 AM.

The following rules are integral to any roleplaying game:
    Rule 0: The Gamesmaster is always right.
    Rule 7: Do not take the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Belkar is 4chan.
    CE sociopath with a surprising number of fans; loves cats. Sometimes amusing.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Look at the bright side, EE, we get the more uses of the Batman Theme.
    Meh, i think even the Batman theme won't make up for the total degrading of the game (on that subject, why aren't my comments showing up on the minion section?)
    from
    EE

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think the objections result from a lack of imagination. How would you normally have a character say... lose an arm? I'd only do it somewhere around negative hp because you can't really "fight too well"/"remain conscious" after losing an arm.

If people want "lasting wounds" because they feel it makes the game grittier they just have to realize that hp is an abstraction and figure out when they want the wounds to suddenly appear. And we haven't heard ANYTHING about that little old regenerate spell for regrowing limbs. So its a little premature to say that everyone is completely healing massive wounds overnight.
    Last edited by Thrawn183; 2008-05-22 at 08:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

How many times have you heard "well I've got 5 level 0 and 2 1st level spells left, who's worst off?" after a day of hard combat.

Secondly, what about non magical healing... If you don't HAVE a cleric (indeed you might have a warlord in the Leader role) then it's crazy. I've just had my spleen ripped out, but I'm fine now. these people might be heroes, but even Conan couldn't just sleep off a sword to the gut.

There's never even been a semi permanent wound system. Very Low HP I have always taken to represent a broken arm, a cut to the gut that's likely to split at any time or something like that, some stuff which doesn't always heal quickly. rules for that can get overcomplicated, so give a little bit of give, I understand that HP often is an abstraction of what other games call a stamina score, which would be fine to heal overnight, but all those games have a separate wounds score, that takes a heck of a long time to bring back up. HP is a further simplification of that, but the new rules seem not to take into account the latter part.

I think that this is an abominable rule, it takes a lot of strategy out of dungeoneering, and takes a lot of excitement out of planning the week ahead.

DM:The Demon slams frank against the cliff face, slices across his with claws the size of swords, something squishy flies out and goes plop against Durgak's shield.
    Durgak:"BLOODY HELL FRANK HE'S RIPPED OUT YOUR SPLEEN!!!"
    Frank:"'salright mate, I'll grow another one in the morning"

Hp is not injury. Honestly, have you ever played Saga Star wars? It explains the concept quite well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

One problem with a lot of perminant wounds is that they can just be annoying to the point of hindering the player's fun (I know the 2nd Edition instructions recommended avoiding things like broken bones and severed limbs for this reason). Admittedly, I would have thought that a cure spell would be enough to heal broken bones (the fact that Regenerate is a level 7 spell would make having character's losing limbs earlier on in the game a bad idea unless the DM wants players to spend a ton of time rolling up new characters).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

To me, this just implies that "rest" is less "mmm comfy pillow" and more "ow sharpy scalpel". When I run a game, rest will be very hard to come by. :B
    If you're wondering how PC's eat and breathe, and other science facts
    Repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    EGOTIST, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

I do believe you mean, Egoist, n. A Psion who specializes in Psychometabolism.