New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moon colony?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Moon colony?

Can zombies and/or constructs survive on the moon (or some other similar environment)? No real reason, I've just had this idea stuck in my head for a while now about a bunch of PCs traveling to the moon (for some reason...) and finding it full of zombies. The perfect Phylactery hiding place for the aspiring young lich.

Of course, for that matter, the moon or an orbiting asteroid would make the best Evil Castle O'Doom ever. Imagine: A demilich uses constructs to build a citadel of death on the moon and uses some kind of infinite-range spell to rain death on the planet below. A vampire clan makes a base of operations in space (Dracula's Space Palace!), utilizing thralls equipped with some kind of items of baleful teleportation (or whatever equivalent spell exists, I don't know...) to fetch prospective meals from the surface. Or even something less necessarily evil, like a tribe of warforged or intelligent undead that somehow got themselves stuck on the moon umpteen centuries ago and (out of boredom, mostly) discovered interplanetary travel on their own...

Dang, now I've got to find a DM to do this stuff. XD

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Moon colony?

There is no reason why you couldn't construct your Fortress of Oppression on a moon, perhaps also placing a massive weapon there as well, turning the moon into a "death star".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sure.

Space travel is easy. Polymorph into something not bothered by the environment, look at about where you want to go, and cast Greater Teleport. Repeat until your at your destination. Now that you have visited it you can travel their with 1 Greater Teleport whenever you want to.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This is a great idea! And I'm not just saying that because I'm already using it in my own campaign The world I created has two moons, representing the tides of life and death. One moon is covered in forests, meadows, small lakes, etc. and is inhabited mostly by nature-themed creatures and fey. The other moon is barren, rocky, ugly, and inhospitable. It is swarming with negative-material types, like wights and vampires, as well as their many zombie minions. It's great to have laying in wait, in case I ever want to spring a "Every 1000 years the moons come into alignment" kind of an apocalypse, with skeletons literally raining down from the skies.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scaboroth View Post
    This is a great idea! And I'm not just saying that because I'm already using it in my own campaign The world I created has two moons, representing the tides of life and death. One moon is covered in forests, meadows, small lakes, etc. and is inhabited mostly by nature-themed creatures and fey. The other moon is barren, rocky, ugly, and inhospitable. It is swarming with negative-material types, like wights and vampires, as well as their many zombie minions. It's great to have laying in wait, in case I ever want to spring a "Every 1000 years the moons come into alignment" kind of an apocalypse, with skeletons literally raining down from the skies.
    Get a commoner/cleric 13 with a spell component pouch, the Chicken infested feat, fell animate, DMM(Fell Animate), and the spell Greater Consumptive Field.

1. Draw chicken
    2. Chicken dies, giving you Str and HP
    3. Chicken animated as a zombie chickent.
    4. Repeat.
    5. ???
    6. Profit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

... with skeletons literally raining down from the skies.
    GIGANTIC BALLS OF AWESOME

Personally, I've been thinking for a while about giving the Githzerai (or Dromites) an ancient Illithid space station--not some crazy science-fiction stuff, but an actual easily-breakable somewhat realistic one (augmented with psionics, perhaps). Some space shuttles, too.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Even ignoring the infinite Str/HP bonus... Zombie moon chickens? That is too awesome to not exist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I could'nt understand anything of what solo said. So you have a mix of dracula's space castle and the death star (austin powers version) right in a D&D campaign? I have to steal this idea, wait, it does'nt work this way. Anyway I like this idea for a lich to hide his filactery, much better than having a base in the positive energy plane (it just, it cant work!).
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coplantor View Post
    I could'nt understand anything of what solo said. So you have a mix of dracula's space castle and the death star (austin powers version) right in a D&D campaign? I have to steal this idea, wait, it does'nt work this way. Anyway I like this idea for a lich to hide his filactery, much better than having a base in the positive energy plane (it just, it cant work!).
    What?

What?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Get a commoner/cleric 13 with a spell component pouch, the Chicken infested feat, fell animate, DMM(Fell Animate), and the spell Greater Consumptive Field.

1. Draw chicken
    2. Chicken dies, giving you Str and HP
    3. Chicken animated as a zombie chickent.
    4. Repeat.
    5. ???
    6. Profit.
    Better yet: Chicken Infested is a flaw, so you get it for free. Even though it can be used to do incredibly powerful things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #11

I was thinking of Atropus when I read that first post...
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

What?

What?
    Just messing with your mind.

By the way, excelent avatar.
    Last edited by Coplantor; 2008-05-22 at 10:52 PM.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Wow, that's eerily similar to my campaign world, except there were three moons. One was a jungle moon inhabited by homebrewed blues (psychic goblins), where everything was poisonous and hostile. There were also dinosaurs, which made the druid very, very happy. He got a megaraptor for a pet. The other was a moon full of fey creatures and giant mushrooms, underground labyrinths, oily black seas, and strange star spawn. The fey moon caused crazy growth whenever it rose every 3 to 6 years, with fungus raining down from above onto the planet, the astral plane becoming wonky causing problems with teleport spells, and fey absconding with children and unwary travelers.

Unfortunately for party, the third moon, more a projection of the negative energy plane than an actual heavenly body, was rising in a once in a 10,000 year event. Every 1,000 years, the dead moon would rise and bolster the undead. This time though, when the moon finally rose, it created a portal powerful enough to attract Atropus. Incidentally, this also caused the dead to return to life.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I don't see any reason why Golems wouldn't survive any more than any other hunk of rock or iron in space. Same with liches, neither the old nor the lack of pressure is going to do much to bones. Not so sure how zombies work with explosive decompression but a quick Google search indicates that the threat of explosive decompression is a bit overrated. Can't see why a properly prepared zombie couldn't survive either.

Greater Teleport has no range limit so getting there you're really just limited by how far you can see. Once you're there set up a few Teleportation Circles and you're set for transportation.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't it depend on your campaign setting? In some places, the moon is a large planetoid that can be landed on and visited, Apollo 11-style.

In others, it's a disk about twenty meters across, or a giant silver wolf, or a goddess, or a flower someone set up there, or a gate to the positive energy plane, or... well, you get the idea. Although it would be funny to have the players try to reach it in a campaign where it turns out to be one of those... Having the stars turn out to be tiny fist-sized glowing rocks that can be grabbed and stolen could be fun, too.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Extra! Extra! Lich steals stars and sells them to pawn shop!"
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Doesn't breathe, immune or resistant to cold? It can survive in the vacuum of space. Or on a moon with no atmosphere, or a trace atmosphere.

But like Aquillion says, you'll want to check with your local cosmology first. I doubt Selûne would appreciate anyone walking on her, for instance.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    Doesn't breathe, immune or resistant to cold? It can survive in the vacuum of space. Or on a moon with no atmosphere, or a trace atmosphere.

But like Aquillion says, you'll want to check with your local cosmology first. I doubt Selûne would appreciate anyone walking on her, for instance.
    I dunno, some people are into crazy sh*t...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is no reason why you couldn't construct your Fortress of Oppression on a moon, perhaps also placing a massive weapon there as well, turning the moon into a "death star".
    That's no moon! At least not anymore.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    While you would have a hard time surviving in the vacuum, you wouldn't take cold damage from it. There's simply not enough matter around for convection or conduction to take place. Without convection or conduction, there's no loss of heat.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

There are four things in space that will kill you, in approximately this order:

1) Lack of air (obviously)
    2) Fluids boiling out of your body and into the vacuum (this is defined as "taking damage from the vacuum" in an example Epic Spell)
    3) Either cold or heat eventually, depending where you are within a solar system (also mentioned in that above spell)
    4) Radiation (no ozone layer)

Oh, and 5) objects moving at insane velocities punching holes through you, but those are reasonably uncommon.

Now, the moon, if it's like Earth's moon, does have a thin atmosphere, so you will freeze to death eventually, but don't have to worry as much about depressurization. I think no breathing and Cold Immunity (and Fire Immunity, now that I look up the moon's daytime temperature) should be fine for game purposes, maybe with Radiation Immunity if the GM feels like worrying about that. I'd also recommend a fairly "dry" creature like a Stone or Iron Golem or skeletal/mummified/very old zombie undead, so you don't have to worry as much about the lack of atmospheric pressure keeping your blood inside you.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-05-23 at 10:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Can zombies and/or constructs survive on the moon (or some other similar environment)?
    Our moon has a mean daytime temperature of 107 Deg C and a mean nighttime temperature of -153 Deg C. Thats gotta effect anything that is (or was) flesh. Sunlight on the moon is brighter than on earth, so would it effect undead more? Would they freeze during the night?

But why bring physics into DnD? If the idea fits, go with it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, this is all assuming the Earth and it's Moon.

On my favorite Moon - the Red one - conditions are already hospitable to humans. Well, Lunar worshipers, anyway.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Jenkins View Post
    Can't see why a properly prepared zombie couldn't survive either.
    You just gave me a mental image of a zombie in a space suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    You just gave me a mental image of a zombie in a space suit.
    This reminds me of a lot of bad Sci-Fi/horror movies...
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

Isn't this sort of conversation how Spelljammer got started in the first place... if you start out with lunar travel it's only a matter of time before other worlds open up... then you have stellar empires and space related quests... soon it's up to cosmology and what the stars are made of... or how the universe works (crystal spheres or gallaxies).

To anyone seriously interested I'd suggest the old 2nd Edition SpellJammer boxed set(s) (or at least read about them) it's great for these kind of things, at least for ideas on how your universe could work. (Besides how cool is the idea of becoming a space pirate?)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMfromTheAbyss View Post
    Isn't this sort of conversation how Spelljammer got started in the first place... if you start out with lunar travel it's only a matter of time before other worlds open up... then you have stellar empires and space related quests... soon it's up to cosmology and what the stars are made of... or how the universe works (crystal spheres or gallaxies).

To anyone seriously interested I'd suggest the old 2nd Edition SpellJammer boxed set(s) (or at least read about them) it's great for these kind of things, at least for ideas on how your universe could work. (Besides how cool is the idea of becoming a space pirate?)
    Was'nt spelljammer the one with the mechanical gnomes?

Any way, I always liked the idea of playing spelljammer, specially since i found an adventure designed for spelljammer that i really liked. And also, by knowing more about different settings, the more crazy things i'll be able to do in Planescape.
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah! Why have a moon colony when you can have nested demiplanes?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Bah! Why have a moon colony when you can have nested demiplanes?
    Because the moon is awesome.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

First crappy homebrew, the Arcane Gambler PrC. PEACH please!

Second crappy homebrew. Click here if you want alignments to be more confusing.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer warforged warlocks. Because they can fly to the moon at level six.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.