New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: OOTS #560 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAllNight View Post
    It was a great strip though, only wish therkla had been able to stay with them, now she'll have to sweettalk her Kubota or else learn to live with the Orcs :(
    "therkla smartest, prettiest orc chief grukgruk ever know."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

Personally, I think that if one of the paladins gets a Detect Evil off on the ninja, it might just read: "she doesn't even know what she is, how can I tell"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Giant,

Now that you've introduced references to the show into an RPG-based webcomic, it has to be said:

You just gamed the Lost.

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Remirach View Post
    Oh, Elan. Never change. I find his faith in Therkla's good intentions to be kind of touching and sad. I wonder what she makes of it.

Must ninjas always be evil or at least non-good aligned? I was getting the impression "she's a ninja" means "she can't possibly be good." Or was that just to deflect the "superhero" notion?

Mind, I AM now 100% satisfied THERKLA must be evil. It's her CLASS I've become a little unsure of.
    Depends on the rules. The 2nd edition Ninja Handbook (one of those red faux-leather books) had rules and suggestions for Ninja clans of every alignment.

The Ninja prestige class in the Monk and Fighter book required a Lawful alignment.

The Ninja prestige class in the Oriental adventures book required a non-good alignment.

The Ninja base class in Complete Adventurer I believe required Lawful again.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Too many wild references. I'm not a comic book nerd, "Lost" watcher, or reader of Greek epics. So this one was pretty much a loss for me.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Actually, I don't get the whole 'still not evil' bit. Is that just to ward off anyone who might've thought Elan was going over to the dark side, or is it foreshadowing for some great evil act on Elan's part?...
    Elan has been scaned for evil at least once before, and likely a number of times. So the presumptive reading is that it is simply a reference to these past times.

Still, we do have a fair amount of foreshadowing in this strip. So maybe Nale and Elan are going to temporarily change alignments in a couple hundred strips.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Too many wild references. I'm not a comic book nerd, "Lost" watcher, or reader of Greek epics. So this one was pretty much a loss for me.
    Hey, us Greek epic geeks need our laughs too. But don't worry, these tend to be relatively few. I thought I saw one in the bandit camp arc, "arrow time" when the arrows hide the Sun. At the time very few people grasped it, though later, in "war makes boys of us all" people made the connection to the "300" movie, when it was in fact something much older.

The last panel in #560 really made my day (I used to read the X-man comic books too).

Now, if the Giant would make a Gilgamesh reference...
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-05-30 at 02:05 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Loved the comic book references! The Odyssey joke was a nice touch, too. I've really enjoyed all the strips lately, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Elan has been scaned for evil at least once before, and likely a number of times. So the presumptive reading is that it is simply a reference to these past times.

Still, we do have a fair amount of foreshadowing in this strip. So maybe Nale and Elan are going to temporarily change alignments in a couple hundred strips.
    I think you're right about the first part, but not the second. My interpretation was just that Lien was scanning where she thought Therkla was, but since Therkla had moved, the scan caught Elan instead--who, like you said, hasn't changed since he was scanned before.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    I agree.

Except I think that Therkla's alignment is in the 'Northeast' (or NE). She's going to turn on them, especially when she learns about Haley.
    Emotional fall not fall from grace. She is clearly some sort of evil.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

I'm concerned by the amount of people who posted saying they don't watch Lost. I mean...it's Lost.

Granted, at this point you'd have to watch 60+ episodes (some of which are two hours long), read a few Wikipedia articles, and have some lengthy discussions with friends about where you think the plot is headed just to catch up...but hey, the season just ended! You've got all summer to do just that.

And then you can come back, read this strip, and get the two jokes you missed. It'll be totally worth it!
    "Thus, we are all composed of stardust, or if you're feeling a tad more cynical, solar excrement." -- Dr. James Kakalios

11. - Top - End - #161

This was a great comic.

But shouldn't at least one of Odysseus' companions be wearing a red chiton or did Cyclops already eat the redshirts on the away team?

EDIT:
    BTW- the only thing more awesome than a ninja-pirate-robot-monkey is a Nazi-laser-shark-bear.
    Last edited by Old_Man; 2008-05-30 at 04:16 PM.
    Someone really should think about developing Advanced Chess, 2nd Edition with better mounted combat rules.
    - Waldo

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Good references. Good humor. Good comic!
    Merfyn, Level 80 Paladin
    Caddoc, Level 80 Warlock

Proud owner of a vintage Disatar!

13. - Top - End - #163

Anyone who calls me a troll is just admitting that they KNOW I am right, and they are afraid of the truth.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I only just now realized what the comic title was referring to
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

I don't normally gush; but this one was so full of win it feels like my head is going to explode with candy

Bravo, Giant.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Technically Cyclops is a mutant, not a superhero, Right?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nice Batman and Spiderman references - "bitten by a radioactive ninja" = LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Supreme!
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

18. - Top - End - #168

Fellow non-Lost-watcher here. When I saw the bagua design, I read it as 0/1 7/24/365. I guess that's coincidental, though.
    Last edited by LurkerBeneath; 2008-05-30 at 06:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Murphoid View Post
    Technically Cyclops is a mutant, not a superhero, Right?
    Mutant is a subclass of the Superhero/Supervillain set. You got your mutant superheroes like Cyclops & all the X-men. Your gadgeteers such as Iron Man or Hank Pym. Super Science/Radiation Accident, The Flash or Spiderman.
    Martial Artists like Karate Kid. Marital Artists like Chuck Taine.

One of my characters in City of Villains was Ninjabot 2.0. Mastermind w/Ninja & Trick Arrows.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Since are people who don't get the references, try these links:
    OK, I admit that I didn't get the references, but still laughed at the last panel. But having the references explained made the whole thing just that much more hillarious.

Who says that if you have to have it explained that it lost it's humor?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

cool Re: OOTS #560 - System Change??

Is this a system change to Mazes and Minotaurs?? VERY hilarious episode!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by youareworthless View Post
    You know your jokes are lame when someone has to explain ALL of them. I like that you included a wikipedia link for BATMAN, though. No one has ever heard of him. He gets no mainstream recognition.

This is the worst OotS strip EVER. Don't listen to the other people in this thread.
    So, jokes that are so simple any idiot gets them are better? Why not read Garfield instead? I thought the charm of OOTS was precisely its out-of-the-way references to pop and sub cultures and the games/movies/comics they know. Criticizing because you didn't get the references or some people needed explanations seems petty, and is a reflection of the tastes and knowledge of the indivdual, not the quality of the comic.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

It's even got a games geek reference joke that only got semi-mentioned above (via the TVTropes link) — the game Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot, by the incomparable Chad Underkoffler.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrythlind View Post
    Depends on the rules. The 2nd edition Ninja Handbook (one of those red faux-leather books) had rules and suggestions for Ninja clans of every alignment.

The Ninja prestige class in the Monk and Fighter book required a Lawful alignment.

The Ninja prestige class in the Oriental adventures book required a non-good alignment.

The Ninja base class in Complete Adventurer I believe required Lawful again.
    Hmm... Or one could be a ninja without taking levels in any ninja class, you know...

Btw... is that... is that Kuno Kodachi???
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by youareworthless View Post
    Anyone who calls me a troll is just admitting that they KNOW I am right, and they are afraid of the truth.
    Such might be charged against those who only call you a troll and say therefore to ignore you. That is the ad hominem fallacy. However a number of your critics have more substantial arguments.

26. - Top - End - #176

SolithKnightGuy

omg i love this one...i was lmao the whole time lol
    cyclops on a greek island too funny :D
    Me Loves Thog! Currently on a mission of life and death through dangerous territory against nearly insurmountable odds to secure and bring back SPRINKLES! The fate of humanity may rest on our success...

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

HA! It took me a moment to get the Cyclops joke, but I appreciate it nonetheless!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maxon View Post
    "therkla smartest, prettiest orc chief grukgruk ever know."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html
    true, but they also know after that panel that she is a half human too. And they didn't seem to keen on that whole thing, and then there is the fact that she hasn't lived like an Orc for most, if not all, of her life. So she may be accepted, but i doubt she would want to stay there. She has tasted to much of a seemingly more fulfilling life.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And it harm none, Do as you will

Proud Second Baker to the Fan Club

Kewl Avatar by someone who's name I forgot

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Well, ALL of OOTS would be impenetrable and NOT funny if you couldn't understand English.

An extreme example of how you won't get a joke and that doesn't make it Not a joke, it just makes it not funny for you.

You aren't the world, you aren't the people....
    Did I say I was? As Argall pointed out, this is ad hominem. You have no argument, because you could also say that if all the jokes would be about programming or written in a code, most of the people wouldn't get it. So what? How is that related to my argument? I ask again: how often have you seen more than half the comic taken by references to a single source?

To Faramir:

I never said the jokes weren't funny. I explicitly avoided labeling them and simply stated that they're lost on me. You've butchered my post, but I'll explain that sentence. The person I was quoting in that post claimed that having Elan slip on a banana peel would perhaps be dumb-funny, but wouldn't be related to the plot. I responded by saying that having a ninja-superhero discussion is Elan-dumb-funny and equally unrelated to the plot.

To explain one more time: I would not label this strip as "worst ever" or even "bad". Put words I never spoke in my mouth and you lose any credibility.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAllNight View Post
    true, but they also know after that panel that she is a half human too. And they didn't seem to keen on that whole thing, and then there is the fact that she hasn't lived like an Orc for most, if not all, of her life. So she may be accepted, but i doubt she would want to stay there. She has tasted to much of a seemingly more fulfilling life.
    Gah - you have no romance in your soul. She could become his snuggly green cutie pie.