New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [4e] Minions' Damage?

So I notice in 4th Edition, minion monsters' damage is listed as a number, rather than a dice roll. This is obviously to save time. But I can;t find the rule that minion damage is supposed to be this way anywhere, or any guidelines for how the number should be arrived at.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Minions' Damage?

Well, honestly, are there rules in the books for creating Minions at all? My understanding was that it's not a how-to template applied to a monster.

I'd appreciate a guideline, to be sure, but if it's not there, then I could see how a specific step of said guideline isn't around either.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Not having access to the books yet I can't check this out, but maybe compare the minion at hand to another creature of its level and find the average damage of that creature. Minions are supposed to do what, half damage, on average or something like that, I think, as mentioned in the 4E Minions preview on the WotC site.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It looks like most of at least the low level minions do the average of the damage die rounded up with no stat bonuses to damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Minions generally do minimum damage. If their appropriate combat stat isn't at target it'll be slightly off from the table.

From levels 1-3 standard damage is 1d10+3 for medium damage type attacks, so it's 4, in general.

EDIT: Hmm, that can't be completely right, the minions for aboleth should be doing more damage than they are if that's the case, and they don't even do their strength bonus in damage.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.
    Last edited by kc0bbq; 2008-06-03 at 04:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know if this helps, but the Legion Devils deal an additional point of damage for each five levels. A Level 6 minion deals 5 damage, a Level 11 minion deals 6 damage, etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    I don't know if this helps, but the Legion Devils deal an additional point of damage for each five levels. A Level 6 minion deals 5 damage, a Level 11 minion deals 6 damage, etc.
    There's a level 16 minion that does 7, and one that does 8. Some do +1 damage with combat advantage, most don't. The skeleton minion does less at range than in melee, even though the stats would indicate otherwise.

I think it's just balancing what works. Minimum damage by level bumped up or down 1 (or by giving one more damage with advantage) as needed. That's the only thing I can come up with.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

goob, I have to ask, do minions have to roll for attack or is the damage they do automatic?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

They still roll to attack, just they don't roll damage, it seems to be set to minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

It doesn't matter where it is set, a handful of minions kill the party fast, if the party thinks they can ignore them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose that's sort of the point. minions are probably there mostly for color but when commandeered properly should pose a serious threat.