New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4E: Is alignment mostly irrelevant with the mechanics?

I've read the PHB and the DMG rather quickly (might have skipped a few things), and flipped through the MM a bit. Am I missing something, or is alignment mostly a fluff thing now? I think that mechanically it only comes up in one Astral Weapon (a Paladin paragon path) power, and in one special terrain thingy in the DMG (a sacred place imposes penalties to evil creatures). And that's it.

My joy knows no bounds. (Yes, you guessed it, I hate alignment.) In fact, I wonder why, since they took it that far, they didn't take one small step/giant leap further, and drop the idea altogether. But that's just me. The question here is if I'm missing something. Is there perhaps an indirect way to affect creatures according to their alignment?

PS - There are more books to come, of course, but the usual suspects (clerics and paladins) are clean, so I'm optimistic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4E: Is alignment mostly irrelevant with the mechanics?

Yes, it is.

Then again, alignment has always been mostly irrelevant with the mechanics, even in earlier editions. Keyword being "mostly". You can easily play any game from 1E to 3E while ignoring any and all alignment effects. Even Protection from Evil is most often used to simply ward off mental effects, and otherwise it's just Protection From Whomever Is Attacking Me At The Moment.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the only instance (which isn't even a solid rule) is that good guys aren't supposed to be doing necromantic damage, while baddies aren't doing radiant.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    I think the only instance (which isn't even a solid rule) is that good guys aren't supposed to be doing necromantic damage, while baddies aren't doing radiant.
    Would that be necrotic damage? And isn't that tied to undead specifically, and not all evil folks in general?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tura View Post
    Would that be necrotic damage? And isn't that tied to undead specifically, and not all evil folks in general?
    Yes, and no.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh. Really? I thought necrotic energy comes from the Shadowfell, and is thus wielded only by Shadowfell monsters, the undead, Raven Queen disciples, Vecna cultists, and Orcus's goons.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're evil, your Radiant powers get switched to Necrotic instead. Or at least they highly suggest that.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    If you're evil, your Radiant powers get switched to Necrotic instead. Or at least they highly suggest that.
    Really i think this suggestion is mostly for divine power sources, since wizards get a dash of both energies and alignment doesn't enter into it. But it makes sense that you don't want your cleric of orcus to be a shining beacon of radiance on the battle field.....
    Chaos is the friend of those who make no enemies and form no alliances.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Really i think this suggestion is mostly for divine power sources, since wizards get a dash of both energies and alignment doesn't enter into it. But it makes sense that you don't want your cleric of orcus to be a shining beacon of radiance on the battle field.....
    I don't know, I think Orcus has every right to Laser Clerics. I'm certainly keeping my Undead Cleric Bear of Orcus using Radiant energy, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    One word obvious trope: Warlock.

CTHULHU LIKES TEH SHINIEZ!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post

Well, radiance can be evil too.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Necroswanso View Post
    Like when you're camping and your "buddy" wakes you up by prying open your eyelid and shining a flashlight in your face?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by The Necroswanso View Post
    Well, it could be a pale, sickly corpselight of radiance. The kind of light that sends shivers down your spine and makes your skin crawl.
    Play a wizard. Be the Goddamn Batman.