New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default do melee burst trigger opportunity attacks in 4th?

-hey guys, dont post much/all but i am trying out this new system, and i just hit a thing that struck me a ridiculous, namely

-when my fighter or paladin or what have you does an AOE melee attack, it is written down as close burst 1

-in the section of the PHB for opportunity attacks, it mentions that all area attacks and ranged attacks trigger them

-so, when my fighter uses sweeping blow, do all the orcs or what have you get an oportunity attack against him?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: do melee burst trigger opportunity attacks in 4th?

Quote Originally Posted by tiaxrulesall View Post
    -hey guys, dont post much/all but i am trying out this new system, and i just hit a thing that struck me a ridiculous, namely

-when my fighter or paladin or what have you does an AOE melee attack, it is written down as close burst 1

-in the section of the PHB for opportunity attacks, it mentions that all area attacks and ranged attacks trigger them

-so, when my fighter uses sweeping blow, do all the orcs or what have you get an oportunity attack against him?
    There are 4 kinds of attacks:
    Melee
    Ranged
    Close (either Burst or Blast)
    Area

Ranged and Area provoke attacks, Melee and Close do not.

So "no" is your answer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

As a DM, my reaction was to let common sense take over and say 'no'.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

For what it's worth, this is probably why some Powers have really weird range/target combinations, like the Paladin Challenge power which is "close burst five" but only targets one creature in the burst: if it was "ranged 5" it would provoke an AoO.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Early my 4e group thought that they did, but I actually checked with WotC website and confirmed that close burst and blast do not trigger attacks of opportunity. That being said I really think WotC could have explained that rule more clearly.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Hemmens View Post
    For what it's worth, this is probably why some Powers have really weird range/target combinations, like the Paladin Challenge power which is "close burst five" but only targets one creature in the burst: if it was "ranged 5" it would provoke an AoO.
    I was totally wondering about this, but it makes a lot of sense if it's just to avoid OAs.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

-okay thanks guys, that would have really nerfed a lot of mellee builds, and it explains the funny wording on things

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tough_Tonka View Post
    That being said I really think WotC could have explained that rule more clearly.
    Pages 270-272 of the PHB aren't clear enough for you? That's where the attack types are defined (it's even listed as "Attack Types" on the table of contents), and it seems perfectly clear to me.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Pages 270-272 of the PHB aren't clear enough for you? That's where the attack types are defined (it's even listed as "Attack Types" on the table of contents), and it seems perfectly clear to me.
    He means not enough typing in bold.

Really, it has more to do with the OP and others mindset than how it is written. You have to reach extremrlyu far to see ranged to equal burst. I mean, they are different words.