New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 4e spells

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default 4e spells

does anyone else feel like they did away with the creativity of the players when it comes to spells? so far i havent seen any spells that have any real use outside combat...especially when it comes to the illusionist...

imo arcane casters are the most fun when you are doing more than blasting and self-buffing...i wanna be able to create the illusion of a ghost using silent image to scare off the goblins...

i just wanna know if anybody else feels the same way about this or not
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: 4e spells

Pretty much I'd say about 40% here dislike that to some extent or another. About 40% think it is great, and about 20% are undecided.

There are many many posts devoted to this subject.

Many, many, many, many, many, many, posts.

Possbily a few more manys too.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
    All those moments will be lost. . . in time. . . like. . . tears, in the rain.
    Time. To die.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

i didnt realize...i should get on the boards more often i suppose
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is why they have rituals.

I think I'd like to see more fast-cast rituals. Sort of like spells, but entirely non-combat utility, with costly components. Like charm person. It shouldn't be a 10-mintue ritual. Maybe a mintue of talking to the person at the most, but more likely one standard action, and some gold worth of materials. But any threat would break the spell immediately, so it's non-combat.

But really, rituals are where real non-combat utilities come in. No need to waste all your powers preparing water walk, then become useless once combat starts because you used all your spell slots. You can just use a ritual.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Unfortunately, there are only about 3 rituals total, and they are very specific in what you can do with them. Most of them aren't even "utility", but more "nice to have, but meh..."

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

While you have less potential than in 3E I fully intend to use the cantrips creatively: you can do quite a bit with just those 4.

For your example: Mage Hand for poltergeist-style action. Or put it under a white sheet. Add in Ghost Sound for a good moan. The start to Light up different objects at random...

Sure, it takes too many actions. But if your goblins are not rattled by then, the DM is not cooperating.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Unfortunately, there are only about 3 rituals total
    Oh c'mon! There's at least 4 rituals
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doresain View Post
    does anyone else feel like they did away with the creativity of the players when it comes to spells? so far i havent seen any spells that have any real use outside combat...especially when it comes to the illusionist...
    "Creativity" like "story" is one of those words that people instinctively use to mean "stuff that I like".

You say: "Getting rid of illusions stops players doing cool creative things like scaring goblins away with the Silent Image of a ghost".

I say: "Getting rid of illusions stops players doing boring, uncreative things like scaring goblins away with the Silent Image of a ghost."

3.X players are very, very used to the idea that there are a bunch of things which spellcasters can just do trivially. Some of us always found the *fact* that spellcasters could do those things trivially extremely annoying.

About the most significant work of magic Merlin ever performs is to disguise Uther Pendragon using what D&D would consider to be a fairly low level Illusion spell. Illusions are not trivial things, but they make things trivial, which is why I don't like games with generic "create illusion" powers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

what about minion creating/summoning spells? what about mind raping spells?

only being able to blast and buff yourself reeks to much of WoW for me...and i dont know about you, but i play DnD to play DnD, not WoW

-The 13th Warrior

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Doresain View Post
    what about minion creating/summoning spells? what about mind raping spells?

only being able to blast and buff yourself reeks to much of WoW for me...and i dont know about you, but i play DnD to play DnD, not WoW
    Summoning spells were largely cut out due to the unbalancing nature of obtaining extra actions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

And I'm betting that the Psi classes (or a Psi-based Controller at the very least) will have more mind-raping spells than you can shake a stick at.

Edit: As to the original topic:

No, I do NOT feel that doing away with stuff like illusions cuts down on the creativity of the players. For one thing, it only affects casters, so there is no "loss" or "gain" or any change whatsoever for non-casters on that front. Secondly, I think it actually increases the creativity because now, instead of saying "meh, I use Silent Image to spook the goblins", you actually have to think of something creative.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2008-06-24 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    And I'm betting that the Psi classes (or a Psi-based Controller at the very least) will have more mind-raping spells than you can shake a stick at.
    You only need one, though.