New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Cardboard terrain

Hi,

I guess it's probably old news for you, but I just found this site:
    http://www.worldworksgames.com/
    and they have really nice stuff. Wilderness, tavern, caves, hell, cathedrals.. everything.
    I am really considering to buy a couple of the sets and use part of the weekend building a nice dungeon :)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Cardboard terrain

Oh come on, I practically drooled over every set they offer, and you guys don't even comment?
    Is my taste so off?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks pretty neat, though I don't think I'd buy any. I'd rather make my own stuff, especially with the free time I've got. I could make an entire campaign world if I felt up to it...
    That and the group I'm in isn't so big on detailed scenery at the moment.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not big on major set pieces when I play in real life. Being able to set up an area quickly is more important than having it look good, more often than not, so I use a vinyl mat and a marker for most battle maps.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, that's why I am so excited about these. You can put down the parts as you go. Hallway here, wall there, columns over there, add some lava... the cave and dungeon sets seem pretty much perfect for this. Even w/o the floor tiles, just place the wands and props... I kinda like the idea.

Right now we play mostly w/o miniatures, which worked pretty well in the low level area, but I am not sure if the mid level play will be play out as well w/o minis.

Another thing is, that some of the sets really planted adventure ideas in my head...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I'm not big on major set pieces when I play in real life. Being able to set up an area quickly is more important than having it look good, more often than not, so I use a vinyl mat and a marker for most battle maps.
    Yeah. If you use fancy or complex terrain items, you end up being limited by your available terrain when designing adventures. Seems silly. Moreover, it's harder to depict things like a character sitting in a tree when you actually have to balance a miniature on a tree...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I've used that site and made 2 sets. Shellendrak Manor and the Minichunk dungeon.

Need to upload my dungeon pics.

What I did for the dungeon was make everything on 3x3 tiles and put velcro on the corners so the dungeon is made of any permutation of 3x3 squares allowing full rotation.

Spoiler
    Show

I recorded what tiles I'd made. And made a few 6x6 blank tiles to represent open areas.

I showed the movies and images on my camera to some of the geek friends of Last_Resort33 at his wedding and they were drooling.

Excellent site.
    Last edited by Totally Guy; 2008-06-25 at 06:14 AM.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I've used that site and made 2 sets. Shellendrak Manor and the Minichunk dungeon.

Need to upload my dungeon pics.

What I did for the dungeon was make everything on 3x3 tiles and put velcro on the corners so the dungeon is made of any permutation of 3x3 squares allowing full rotation.

Spoiler
    Show

I recorded what tiles I'd made. And made a few 6x6 blank tiles to represent open areas.

I showed the movies and images on my camera to some of the geek friends of Last_Resort33 at his wedding and they were drooling.

Excellent site.
    Sweet tiles Glug.

I use a mix of paizo, WOTC, old GW, downloaded and homemade dungeon tiles myself. Minimal 3d stuff, it just tends to get knocked over during play.

Never found any of the World Works stuff in the UK (probably because I wasn't looking too hard).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Their business is in pay to download PDFs.

I was a little concerned that A4 paper might be in some way unable to print properly compared with the default US Letter size maybe auto scaling or something... and another thing is paper over there gets measured by some lb/inch or something. I had to try 220gsm card which worked.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've had a couple experiences with terrain. One was a platform I built for an arena game. It worked out okay, but didn't add to the game too much. The platform was some cardboard I taped together, which was easy enough to do, but drawing a grid on it was a pain.

Another GM I had spent $300 on plastic dungeon blocks. He built the dungeon ahead of time and revealed it over the course of the game. It looked awesome. My problem with it was that the GM was so eager to play with his shiny new dungeon blocks that he pushed us past any attempts at roleplaying so we could get straight to the dungeon. I didn't like that effect on the game.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I cannot be trusted with flammable terrain.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

On a more serious note, though, these are just too expensive for me. The PDFs are cheap enough, but they use so much ink that it ends up being cheaper just getting them printed, and then you wind up spending hundreds of dollars printing the damn things.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I cannot be trusted with flammable terrain.
    But it makes the dragon's flame seem so much more dangerous, especially if you're using those little cardstock stand-ups for the players.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Reminds me of WoW. Which is a good thing, terrain and interiors in WoW are a bit chunky but look great.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat