New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default [3.5] Leaping off a pig

I have a drunk little dwarf barbarian/cleric of Hanseath and I'm thinking of getting him a pig to ride. (More accurately, a boar, I guess.) Judging by the brawling personality this guy has, he's not going to be happy sitting high up out of the fight - he'll want to leap off the pig into the fray. How would you rule that? Do I just do a ride or jump check to get to my position? Or should I use Leap Attack? Would that even work from a mounted position? If I don't have leap attak, is there any way to work it with penalties?

If I dismount, will by boar-buddy keep fighting? He's just a pet (not a companion), so can I teach him tricks like, 'please don't attck my other friends'?

Thanks for the help!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Leaping off a pig

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Fast Mount or Dismount

You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round. If you fail the Ride check, mounting or dismounting is a move action. You can’t use fast mount or dismount on a mount more than one size category larger than yourself.
    It's a DC 20 Ride check. You'll land in any place beside your mount. I guess you could combine it with a Jump check if you want to land further.
    The problem, though, is that you don't have a running start. Without a running start, Jump DCs are doubled.
    If you do get the Leap Attack feat, you deal more damage when you jump on a charge. It doesn't allow you to do anything else.

Keep in mind that your mount should be at least one size larger than you. A Dire Boar might be perfect, especially since it's impossible to put down until it reaches the negatives.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2008-07-04 at 05:11 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Leaping off a pig

Quote Originally Posted by bbugg View Post
    If I dismount, will by boar-buddy keep fighting? He's just a pet (not a companion), so can I teach him tricks like, 'please don't attck my other friends'?
    That's mostly up to the DM, unless you use Handle Animal. See the skill description.