New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Latest rants against my DM

Hey all! Been a while since I've posted anything, but it seems like every time I come on to post something, it's a rant about some new thing my DM has done that tees me off to the point of feeling like I shouldn't feel so teed off and that I'm overreacting to what happened in an adventure or from a rules decision.

Anyway, I suppose I should just go through the happenings of this particular adventure. As a side element that will matter in this little tale, two Sundays ago our DM revealed to us, after we had to cancel a game session because something else had come up with my wife and I that needed to be taken care of on the day of our session, a "brilliant" new idea: If a game ever had to be canceled, for any reason, the timeline of the story would advance without us. Hence, any event that may occur in real world that forces us to reschedule a game is going to cause time to advance in the game world, thereby allowing the villains to get ahead of us and accomplish their evil plots or whatever without our characters having any chance to stop them. Lovely idea, isn't it? Anyway...enough backstory.

Our party is three PCs at level one. Two barbarians and a scout. I know, that sounds like an awful idea having two combat classes and a skills/combat class, but we didn't know at the time of creation that it was gonna turn out like this. At any rate, our characters, after going through a somewhat contrived setup story, have entered a volcano dungeon. As we make our way through it, we discover that most of the enemies have already been killed. After taking out the "boss" monster, we open a secret treasure chest in a hidden chamber at the back of the room only to discover the chest is empty. We are then ambushed by a primary campaign villain who, because of the DM's little time-skip idea I talked of earlier, got to the dungeon several days before us, ransacked it, and took the mask half we had come to collect. He then waited for us to get there to take our half from us. He demanded we relinquish our half, and we refused, at which time he attacked us. We promptly had our butts handed to us, with both barbarians being knocked unconscious and my scout being outright killed. Unfortunately, the killing was done at the hands of one of the barbarian teammates, who had charged the enemy, only to have the enemy dodge and redirect the attack. Post-game, we found out several very enlightening things about this villain:

First, he's level twelve. TWELVE. Against three level ONES. After we protested and said that it was unfair to throw us up against that, his reply was simply that we didn't have to fight the guy and could've simply handed the mask over to begin with.

Second, his attack-redirection was ue to a homebrew feat he had given the villain entitled "Deflecting Dodge" or something along those lines, which would probably be written up something like this: "Once per round, when being flanked and one of the flankers is your current dodge target, you may automatically redirect the attack to the opposing flanker; the attack resolves as normal, using the opposing flanker's AC. The new target gets no chance to dodge this redirected attack."

Third, this villain's class (I got to see his stats, because the DM stupidly forgot to empty my laptop's recycle bin after deleting the villain stats from it) is also homebrew, called the "Shadow Knight." This class gets 3/4 BAB in ADDITION to apparently full arcane spellcasting. This class has access to both Create Undead and Finger of Death one level earlier than any other class I know of in the game, casting them as a level 5 and 6 spell, respectively, because of a specialty in the school of necromancy. After complaining about the power of this class, he responded that he "balanced" it by banning several schools of magic from being used as a result of the necromancy specialty, while not responding at all to the 3/4 BAB + full arcane casting in a base class. I know Finger of Death is also a druid spell, but that only makes it worse since it's normally a level 8 spell for druids.

I know this is a long post, and I apologize for its length, but I wanted to explain in full detail what had happened that has me so irked. What do you guys think? After typing it all out, I think that if anything, I didn't react strongly enough to what he's done...but I still wanted to see what some other gamers outside my normal group thought. Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by Phillip0614; 2008-07-20 at 01:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Latest rants against my DM

Jeah, I don't know if your DM is out to get you or just detached from... well, reality (of DnD). Or maybe he's just a jerk.

But hey, think positively, now you too can take the Deflecting Dodge. You should also ask about the possibility of playing the Shadow Knight or homebrewing your own class.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

He sounds like a really bad DM. Ignoring the level difference, he should have checked that his homebrew stuff was okay with you guys. Why did you end up witha party of 2 Barbarians and a Scout, though?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    He sounds like a really bad DM. Ignoring the level difference, he should have checked that his homebrew stuff was okay with you guys. Why did you end up witha party of 2 Barbarians and a Scout, though?
    We each made our characters independent of each other, so we really didn't know what each other would have before our first game session. My wife wanted to play a Barbarian, and I wanted to play a skilled class (but not a rogue), and so that was what's behind our choices. Third person had said he was going to jump out of his normal mold of hulking melee character for this game, and I believed him...but then he ended up going with Barbarian, anyway. So...yeah. There ya go.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While I can understand where the GM is coming from with his "Time advance" idea *We had one player who skipped two sessions in a row, with no warning, and then claimed it was our fault for "Not planning things in advance"... he's been talked to, and it's been resolved now, thankfully* if it's a legitamite reason why you would be unable to go, I would have waived the timeskip. As for the rest of the stuff... WTH? My players consider me a sadistic GM, and the worst I've done was have them chase around a rogue for 30 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for explaining, Phillip0614. I don't think the time idea works that well based on the fact that I tend to think that time should only advance in these things when you're playing them.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure that the feat was homebrew, actually; one of the options for the tactical feat Elusive Target from the Complete Warrior supplement is at least very similar to that option (don't have that book with me).

That said, his class is b0rked and his assumption that you would give up when the villain's trying to get the Macguffin (along with the rather poor idea of time advancing without you when the group cancels a session) is idiotic.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-07-20 at 01:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randalor View Post
    While I can understand where the GM is coming from with his "Time advance" idea *We had one player who skipped two sessions in a row, with no warning, and then claimed it was our fault for "Not planning things in advance"... he's been talked to, and it's been resolved now, thankfully* if it's a legitamite reason why you would be unable to go, I would have waived the timeskip.
    I could understand the skipping ahead thing, also, if someone was just skipping a game. The problem is, that isn't what happened here. We gave him advance warning in addition to rescheduling the game, right then and there, for less than a week later. And he still skipped the time ahead. And it wasn't just one person missing. My wife and I both had to miss. There's also the issue of us ALWAYS playing at our house, for some reason or other, and so if we can't play, then there just isn't a game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    I'm not sure that the feat was homebrew, actually; one of the options for the tactical feat Elusive Target from the Complete Warrior supplement is at least very similar to that option (don't have that book with me).
    After checking CW, you're right. The Elusive Target feat does have the diverting defense option. Still, it makes me go kind of blah, because the only reason he was flanking was because he was charging the guy. So..you're right. Well blah. That kind of deflates my sails a bit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Perhaps you should point out that since the npcs obviously still get to plot and plan and do things during these "time skips", it stands to reason that the players would too. Imagine all the dragons you could mysteriously kill and treasure hoards you could loot with all that time on your hands.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Honestly, this guy sounds like a douche and I wouldn't play with him.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

12. - Top - End - #12

this guy is begging for a dickroll :grin:

13. - Top - End - #13

I get the impression that this is one of those DMs who doesn't understand that D&D is not about trying to kill the players' characters at any cost. Maybe he should buy a copy of Paranoia if that's what he's trying to do.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2008-07-20 at 02:01 PM.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip0614 View Post
    his reply was simply that we didn't have to fight the guy and could've simply handed the mask over to begin with.
    Was it obvious that you didn't have to fight? Was it obvious that you were going to lose?

The DM needs to make these things apparent, so players can make the right decisions. It doesn't sound like that was the case. Anyway, a 12th level vs 3 1st shouldn't have resulted in death; he should have just laughed at you and took what he wanted.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ask your DM can your new character be a kobold paladin. Ask him can you use materials from Serpent Kingdoms. Rubs your hands together in glee if he agrees.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
    Was it obvious that you didn't have to fight? Was it obvious that you were going to lose?

The DM needs to make these things apparent, so players can make the right decisions. It doesn't sound like that was the case. Anyway, a 12th level vs 3 1st shouldn't have resulted in death; he should have just laughed at you and took what he wanted.
    It wasn't at all apparent that we were going to lose this fight, I don't think. I mean, don't get me wrong, the DM and I have been very good friends for nigh on twenty years, and he's thrown us up against some very long odds before, but nothing on the level of throwing three level ones against a level twelve. As a matter of fact, I had talked to him earlier in the day and he mentioned the encounter specifically, saying something very similar to, "Your chances aren't really good, but you might be able to kill him right then and not have to worry about him later."

And one more thing, about the diverting defense ability. The feat description says, "The first attack of the round automatically misses you and may strike the other flanking foe instead; the attacking creature makes an attack roll normally..." which, to me, means that the ability must be declared to be used prior to the attack roll being made, which didn't happen. What happened was that the Barbarian charging the 12th level guy rolled a critical with his greataxe (natural 20 threat, natural 20 confirm) and then, when the Barb's player was picking up the d12 to roll damage, the DM said, "You hit him instead." referring to the scout. That seems a bit underhanded to me..but maybe I'm just misreading the rules or something.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The feat description says, "The first attack of the round automatically misses you and may strike the other flanking foe instead; the attacking creature makes an attack roll normally..."
    Woah there. Even without the way that guy interpreted this feat, it's extremely powerful. Epic-level powerful. Does this guy know frak about giving proper encounters to the players? You were not able to kill this guy.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, I'm fully aware of that now. The combined HP of all of our characters was barely 40% of the other guys. Y'know what, I'm just gonna go ahead and post the stats that my DM had for the guy in the word document:

Alladar Nightshade Dark Elf Shadow Knight 12
    Str 12 Dex 18 Con 10 Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 16
    AC 20 (+4 dex, +6 armor)
    HP 90
    +2 Pale Wind +15/+10 (1d8+1) 18-20/*
    *Pale Wind doesn’t deal extra damage on a critical, instead a piece of the blade breaks off in the target. Damage inflicted by such a critical cannot be healed by any means unless the blade is removed. Any attempt to remove the blade causes it to extend further into the victim. The blade causes 1 point of Con damage each day, and 1 additional point with each attempt to remove it. Damage caused this way cannot be healed until the blade is removed.
    Spells
    1st level 5/day
    Ray of Enfeeblement, Cause Fear, Burning Hands, Shield, Protection From Good
    2nd level 5/day
    Command Undead, Spectral Hand, Ghoul Touch, Summon Swarm, See Invisible
    3rd level 4/day
    Vampiric Touch, Ray of Exhaustion, Stinking Cloud, Slow
    4th level 3/day
    Animate Dead, Enervation, Bestow Curse
    5th level 2/day
    Create Undead, Feeblemind
    6th level 1/day
    Finger of Death
    Last edited by Phillip0614; 2008-07-20 at 02:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

SolithKnightGuy

If dark elves use drow stats then this means you went up against and ECL 14 character, or a CR 13 encounter
    Last edited by Fenix_of_Doom; 2008-07-20 at 03:06 PM.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

And one more thing, about the diverting defense ability. The feat description says, "The first attack of the round automatically misses you and may strike the other flanking foe instead; the attacking creature makes an attack roll normally..." which, to me, means that the ability must be declared to be used prior to the attack roll being made, which didn't happen. What happened was that the Barbarian charging the 12th level guy rolled a critical with his greataxe (natural 20 threat, natural 20 confirm) and then, when the Barb's player was picking up the d12 to roll damage, the DM said, "You hit him instead." referring to the scout. That seems a bit underhanded to me..but maybe I'm just misreading the rules or something.
    Well, he would have to declare that the character was using his Dodge feat against the barbarian (or the nearest IC equivalent, something like "he seems to be focusing on X very carefully, ready to dodge at a moment's notice"), but he doesn't have to declare that the guy has the Diverting Defense option open to him until the attack occurs. It just really blows that that's how you found out.

And Tengu_temp, that feat has been around for a while, and isn't generally thought to be one of the things that breaks the game in half. Also (while I'm guessing that you're being at least a little facetious), I cannot condone Pun-Punning a game; if it's gotten to the point that someone would consider it, he or she should really just quit the game; it's better for all involved.

Granted, it's obscenely useful against anyone who tries halfway intelligent melee tactics, but the character's level 12; that's really one of the least threatening options open to him.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-07-20 at 03:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

*Pale Wind doesn’t deal extra damage on a critical, instead a piece of the blade breaks off in the target. Damage inflicted by such a critical cannot be healed by any means unless the blade is removed. Any attempt to remove the blade causes it to extend further into the victim. The blade causes 1 point of Con damage each day, and 1 additional point with each attempt to remove it. Damage caused this way cannot be healed until the blade is removed.
    but, thats an auto pK on a crit.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

22. - Top - End - #22

DruidGuy

Oh, I'm fully aware of that now. The combined HP of all of our characters was barely 40% of the other guys. Y'know what, I'm just gonna go ahead and post the stats that my DM had for the guy in the word document:

AC 20 (+4 dex, +6 armor)
    HP 90
    Spells
    1st level 5/day
    2nd level 5/day
    3rd level 4/day
    4th level 3/day
    5th level 2/day
    6th level 1/day
    Finger of Death

Is it just me or does this guy seem like a clone of that elf prince from Hellboy 2? Especially that weapon

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sounds like your DM took the Jerk template from Office Codex II. The whole "time-lapse dungeonography" just sucks, the homebrew class just sucks with imbalance, and frankly, I'm still wondering how you'd get a piece of that sword out.

Sorry, man.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Any Druid of similar level would destroy that bad guy.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    Is it just me or does this guy seem like a clone of that elf prince from Hellboy 2? Especially that weapon
    Actually wouldn't surprise me one bit, because he's notorious for taking video game/movie characters, levels, bosses, etc. and trying to finagle them into a D&D game.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Uhh....is there any way to remove that sword piece? Because it says that any attempt fails and does 1 more unhealable con damage.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Uhh....is there any way to remove that sword piece? Because it says that any attempt fails and does 1 more unhealable con damage.
    A question I have been seriously pondering myself since I saw the write-up for it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

That sword is a certain death on a crit. Though it opens intense Roleplaying opportunities.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #29

Hm, any chance you could get some sort of high-level mercenary from a bar somewhere to take this guy out seeing as you very obviously can't, which is something that the DM should definitely know?

Or at least, someone to steal the sword, which one of you then uses, meaning the DM can come up with his own way to sort the aftereffects.

Or, maybe, nearest church of [healing god of preference] "Hi, can you help? Yeah, definitely a devout follower here, yeah, all my life, yeah..."

Also - you say your character died. You've just been given a fairly powerful class... is there anything stopping you using it?
    Last edited by Lorn; 2008-07-20 at 04:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

AC 20 (+4 dex, +6 armor)
    HP 90
    Spells
    1st level 5/day
    2nd level 5/day
    3rd level 4/day
    4th level 3/day
    5th level 2/day
    6th level 1/day
    Finger of Death

Why Shadownight instwad of Dread Necromancer?
    Both have 3/4th BAb and full casting I believe. Dread would be more balanced I'd wager.