New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default That character you've always wanted to play

Everybody has that one character that they have always wanted to play, but no sane DM would allow it.

Afflicted Were-Badger Halfling Rogue/Swashbucker/Dread Pirate
    A Badger-man Pirate? nothing could be cooler.

Whats your character?
    Last edited by expirement10K14; 2008-07-26 at 03:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: That character you've always wanted to play

Enlarged Treant Monk. The primary reason I'll never play it is because it's an ECL 16 charcter before levels.

My group has forbidden me from ever playing a Lantern Archon ever again.

Aaaaand.... ah yes.

Awakened Shimmerling with a minor ritual to add the humanoid template, followed by being permanently reduced, followed by being minor ritualized back to fey. Then take levels in rogue.

You have a fine(-) creature as a playable character, with all of the insane bonuses that apply from there.

I've also kinda wanted to play a big, bad red dragon, but no one will let me, for the same reason as the treant. I'd be willing to RP it, I promise!
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-07-26 at 05:09 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Awakened Stirge Psion. Honestly, what could possibly be cooler.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I already got to play the ultimate doublespeaking scoundrel. I've been at a loss as to what to play since.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

5. - Top - End - #5

Always wanted to play some form of spellcaster. GM won't allow it, though, due to reasons involving illusions of male genitalia.

6. - Top - End - #6

What character? I'm a DM! Every character I've wanted to play ends up killing/getting killed by my players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

I just want to play a melee focused class ANY melee class, fighter, barbarian, even bard. But most of all I want to be a ninja, unfortunately our party consists of a fighter, a rogue, and a cleric, and my DM thinks that we absolutely NEED a wizard.
    Proud member of the "That guy with a Halberd fanclub"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

A Lawful Evil Mystic Theurge that focuses on Light/Healy spells and has a latern archon familiar.

A Paladin/Rouge that sneak attacks with a quarterstaff.

A Pirate/Ninja

A Conjurer that creates minor Teleport circles, Boxes that summon arrows/bolts and casts CLW, and a small immobile golem that shoots at nearby enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Battlefield is the smartest new poster seen here in some time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

So be a Beguiler.
    It's like a magic-ninja.

10. - Top - End - #10

RangerGuy

One word:

pun-pun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Drag-queen "sorceress".

Color thpray!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Call me crazy...but I've always wanted to actually go through the process to become a psionic sandwich and play that as a character. Does anybody remember how you do that actually?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, my current favorite concept is a Fleshwarper.
    Whats cooler than slicing yourself up and grafting on newer, more powerful body parts? Also while going more insane with each addition.
    He'd also sell grafts in order to pay for knowstones and kick butt sorceror style.

Yes I am aware of the problems with being a sorc going into fleshwarper, but that makes it no less cool. Also turning your familiar into a crazy abomination as well? Heck yes!

A close second is a Fiend of Possession that focuses on possessing and animating massive things and grappling everyone to death.
    Or just in general screwing with people we meet.
    What happens when you possess and animate someone's pants? Awesome, that is what.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I always wanted to actually get to play an Ultimate Magus who learned how to create Living Spells, and somehow can control/rebuke them or something. I'd have every arcane spell ever as a living spell in my dungeon of hell, and from there would work my will upon the surrounding nations.

This would clearly not be a Good-aligned character. However, they would be awesome.

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    Drag-queen "sorceress".

Color thpray!
    I believe the incantation for that is "Today for you, tomorrow for me!"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-07-26 at 11:03 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

lemme see. there's the Blight upon humanity., also known as the wight/monk/tat monk. Using an absurd combination of weapon qualities and feats he could theoretically kill any living non-epic being in less than two rounds, and then possibly have it rise as an undead mockery of its former self. there are a couple of variations on classes for that one, but they all boil down to the same thing eventually. undead brute squad lead by a horrifically beefed up wight.

hrrm. There's the "CE*" Elan psychic warrior, born in an age beyond mortal understanding and then imprisoned throughout all of human history. *CE is sort of a misnomer for his alignment. It's just the closest thing that fits. He actually doesn't make any moral judgements, or the few he does make don't last for longer than the situation. He's very friendly and charming, but capable of acts of utter depravity when provoked all while still being friendly and charming.

ogre-mage warlock, focusing on the feat chain/shapechange that lets a two headed creature cast two spells at once. (transform into ettin and roll out)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I always wanted to actually get to play an Ultimate Magus who learned how to create Living Spells, and somehow can control/rebuke them or something. I'd have every arcane spell ever as a living spell in my dungeon of hell, and from there would work my will upon the surrounding nations.

This would clearly not be a Good-aligned character. However, they would be awesome.

-argus
    You actually can do that I think. Theres a PrC called...Spell Sovreign I think in one of the Dragon magazines that let you create and control living spells.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #18

I want to play a Divine Minion Commoner. With a custom god that just grants him the choice of a riding dog. His only powers would be that he could turn into a riding dog at will, and is immune to fear... in the right campaign, this would be awesome.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

An Epic level Sorc/Dragon Disciple that forms an alliance between several different Kobold nests in the surrounding areas to eventually conquer a nation in the name of Tiamat! And then take their stuff.

Or play a dragon. Preferably a Blue Great Wyrm.

That, or another character I'd heard of - a sentient sword paladin with a human Druid mount, with a horse companion, which is then awakened and take Sorc levels to get a raven familiar.
    Last edited by Revanmal; 2008-07-26 at 11:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I've got a number of characters I've wanted to play, but have been banned from:

* Any druid whatsoever in 2nd ed AD&D.
    * An incubus.
    * Aaargh! the Living Sword (CN intelligent magic item with the flying quality, can also polymorph into fruit but retains his hardness when doing so) - the logistics for the various "racial" modifiers would be a nightmare, and the only logical character class for him would be that CN-paladin from DRAGON magazine a few years back that's forbidden from joining any long-term groups (like adventuring parties).
    * An otyugh.
    * A housecat possessed by the spirit of a sith lord.
    * The janitor character class has also been banned from our Star Wars games for being overpowered.

* I did get to play my LG puppeteer (3.0 psionics version), though

21. - Top - End - #21

Wizard who has the potential of reaching anywhere above CL 10...

Catfolk sorcerer/bloodmage... I dunno why... I only had a 22 dex and a 20 Charisma as a 3rd level character =/.

a Deity =/ again the DM refused...

Any pixie character with the song/dance ability thing...

Stone Giant War hulk/ Hulk Hurler... I dunno why you'd have a problem with me lifting anything and throwing it on towns/enemies/friends...bonus die for dmg for every 50lbs over 100? lol.. I throw a mountain with my 80 strength...

Never get the chance to play Shadowdancer or Warlock ever cause of other friends..
    -------
    Consequently, My buddy isn't allowed to play a bard anymore. We're afraid he might try to Role-play all his songs again... Heaven forbid we get the Air-fife.
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

My wish list includes, but is not limited to:

A Fochlucan Lyrist... terribly suboptimal, but nice fluff.

A perpetually angry 20th level Favored Soul of St. Cuthbert... preferably one who looks like Mr. T and pities the fool who breaks the law 'round here!

A Malconvoker... I'm gonna get around to playing one of these eventually, but I need to find myself a reasonably high level game first.

A Bard/War Chanter who quotes epic poetry in the midst of battle.

A Rakshasa Bloodclaw Master: "So the guy who already has the head of a tiger somehow manages to shift into a form even more like a tiger, but still humanoid? How does that work, exactly?"

A Bloodstorm Blade who throws spiked shields... Captain America in D&D!

A CN Eye of Grummsh who believes in a liberal interpretation of Grummsh's teachings and supports peace between men and orcs... but still flies into a killing rage whenever he sees an elf.

I had a whole list of crazy character ideas once, I'll probably keep posting as I remember them.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

23. - Top - End - #23

PaladinGuy

I had a cleric of Asmodeus who was in the process of becoming a Lich. I wanted to see that through. Coincidentally, the BBEG of the game was also a Lich. Would have been interesting, a skeleton in full plate wading into battle, casting dark prayers, possibly with identically-equipped skeletal warrior minions to add to confusion.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The zombified corpse of George Washington.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd love to use a Phanaton Wizard named Dem who I created for a freeform game: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=22 (I'll try to find more information about his abilities in a minute.)

EDIT: I couldn't find the game where I first mentioned Dem, but he would use buffs and utility spells as well as non-letha battlefield control spells while avoiding hurting anyone else. Here's the Assistance Domain if anyone is interrested:

0 Resistance.
    1 Mage Armour.
    2 Bull's Strength.
    3 Haste.
    4 Lesser Globe of Invulnerability.
    5 Telepathic Bond
    6 Greater Heroism
    7 Spell Turning.
    8 Mind Blank.
    9 Foresight.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-07-27 at 01:08 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

A middle-aged aristocrat who is, for some reason or another, forced to abandon the luxuries of his former life and joins an adventuring party. His forte would be social skills and his skills with clockworks (i.e. Rogue with in-character explanation for a noble having disable device), and his walking cone would be his only weapon (as light mace).

27. - Top - End - #27

RogueGuy

The Psionic Sandwich. http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=31

And a Centaur Ranger. Yes, my DM is that mean.

28. - Top - End - #28

I really want to play a character inspired by that violinist bard picture on the internet. You'll probably figure out which one I'm talking about soon.

I want to play a bard who uses a violin as his main Perform skill, but he also uses his instrument as a weapon by using a bow with adamantine strings. Unfortunately, those would probably cut the violin strings, so obviously he'd need to make those adamantium, too. That would, unfortunately, result in a terrible sound--unless, maybe, you applied a lubricant to the strings. A lubricant like blood.

His strategy in battle would be to walk up right in front of the enemy, say hello, and cut them in the face with his bow...then start playing the violin. Fascinate just made a lot more sense--they're too shocked and horrified to react.

Then, you switch out parts of his spell list for some Necromancy spells, and make Inspire Courage Inspire Failure and that sort of thing--there's a variant that does so. But what would his personality be like, you ask? Probably some hackneyed emo thing, right? Nope.

He would have 5 points in Perform (sing), and get a synergy bonus because he'd sing along while he played. He'd sing Tom Waits songs in a Tom Waits voice. And voila! Inspire Failure really makes sense. Singing some sad song? Don't think that's going to get much of a reaction out of most bloodthirsty enemies. A guy letting out a terrible, guttural laugh, playing a strangely metallic series of dissonant chords that hurt the ears, then hearing him roar, "ALL THE GOOD IN THE WORLD YOU CAN FIT INSIDE A THIMBLE AND STILL HAVE ROOM FOR YOU AND ME! MISERY'S THE RIVER OF THE WORLD! EVERYBODY ROW! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I think that'd do it.

Oh, and he'd be fairly friendly, amiable, easygoing guy. He'd seem perfectly sane then say something that reveals how terrifyingly, Heath Ledger's Joker crazy he is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

A Thri-keen something-with-full-BAB who quad-weilds two-bladed swords.

Great fun, can't wait.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A wood elf Ranger with Elf Favored Enemy ACF, Improved Favored Enemy, and Orc Bane composite longbow to get an utterly ridiculous amount of bonuses against Orcs. Then buy 10,000 arrows and go pick a fight with the nearest Orc horde. Lead them to a forest and make excellent use of sniper tactics.

Wear Dire-bear Monk

Thri-Kreen Monk for high speed football field length jumping action!!

Half-Succubus Nymph Paladin of Freedom/Bard or Sorcerer

Dwarven Battle-Rager (I've somehow never gotten around to playing a Dwarf)

Someone that actually takes Leadership, maybe build a castle or something, I dunno

Warlock?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.