New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Ninja/Ranger multiclass viable?(3.5)

I've been re-imagining one of my favorite characters (Cassius Lazy Moon) as an Urban Ranger/Ninja multiclass. I've never seen a ninja in action before though, so I'm not sure that would be terribly viable. Is there any synergy there?

I don't recall how the swift invisibility thing works exactly. Does it synergize at all with 2WF? Are you greater invisibilty'd for a round, or just regular invisibility?
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-07-30 at 09:48 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Ninja/Ranger multiclass viable?(3.5)

I know the ninja just gets basic invis. They seem to be more a one strike one kill type. I'm not a huge fan of the ninja class I prefer to see people who want to play ninjas play rogues or rogue/monks depending.
    It is viable i guess probably better going ranged combat rather then 2 weapon fighting. As a ninjas Sudden strike isn't useful when flanking(doesn't apply). A rogue ranger would work as a 2 weapon fighter. Find a flanking buddy and your good.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you want, you can instead try Ranger/swordsage/shadow sun ninja. Maybe get some Tiger Claw maneuvers for two-weapon goodness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Not really wanting to rely on ToB for the build. Also, I kinda want to get the swift invisibility from the ninja. Say, can I get that with a dip? The uses/per day are derived from wisdom, right?

Not that I don't like ToB, mind you. I would absolutely love Sudden Leap with this character.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-07-30 at 10:59 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks fun. There is certain Wisdom usefulness in both classes. Won't archery tree (with maybe some throwing weapon) be more interesting though?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a side consideration the idea of an Urban Ranger - Ninja with some martial arts proficiency reminds me a lot of Snake Eyes, an awesome G I Joe character (son to be portrayed by ray park in an upcoming movie). All in all a very cool idea. Look at that.

Ossian
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

It looks fun. There is certain Wisdom usefulness in both classes. Won't archery tree (with maybe some throwing weapon) be more interesting though?
    I don't like the archery tree, because it makes you either waste a feat on Precise Shot, or not take Precise Shot, since you get IPS for free at 12th level. Of course, that wouldn't matter with an even multiclass.

I typically get the 2WF for free, and just take archery feats. Works even better with thrown weapons. Which I might focus on. 2WF + Rapid Shot + free shuriken prof from Ninja.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The ninja's invisibility ability doesn't say "as the spell", so it's not broken by attacking. You still get a full round's worth of invisibility, even with a full attack.

As for synergy, in combat you'll be making Sudden Strike attacks with two weapons, and out of combat, they both have plenty of skill points. You could do a lot worse.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics