New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Coupe de Grace

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Coupe de Grace

I have this listed as a magic items ability but I do not know what it does. Does anyone know what book it is from? It is in a 3.5 book somewhere but I can not find it.
    "I gave you a twizzler I can do what ever I want" - ME

Valandil

Bozam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Coupe de Grace

Quote Originally Posted by The SRD
    Coup de grace weapons are exceptionally dangerous. On a successful critical hit, the foe must succeed on a DC 27 Will save or be paralyzed for 1 round. While this ability does work on creatures that are immune to extra damage from critical hits, it does not work on creatures without an Intelligence score. Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this ability on their ammunition.
    That doesn't sound "exceptionally dangerous" to me. There's better ways to spend a +5 bonus.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    That doesn't sound "exceptionally dangerous" to me. There's better ways to spend a +5 bonus.
    A paralyzed creature is helpless, they can be coupe de graced. Now is it worth a +5 bonus? Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't take it but thats just me.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5

Oh yeah, and a Coupe de Grace is an automatic critical hit. Meaning that they are paralyzed again, whether or not they make their fortitude save (which is unlikely).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone know how to make a proper build focused on coup de grace?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

basically the weapon says,

"if you score a critical, you can keep scoring critical until they die"

so a DC:27 will save stands between you and getting out of the coup de grace loop....
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    basically the weapon says,

"if you score a critical, you can keep scoring critical until they die"

so a DC:27 will save stands between you and getting out of the coup de grace loop....
    Yeah. Can someone say if a DC 27 is particularly nasty?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that you have to score a critical to actually get it going. Not worth it unless you've entirely focused on criticals.

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

Well, the max base save one can get would be +12. Add in a wisdom modifier of 1 to 10 and the best you can have there is +22. +5 cape of resistance later you have a +27 will save, giving you a 5% chance of doom.

However, who besides divine casters really gets their wisdom to a +10 modifier? A +4 seems more likely. So the best you have there is soemthing around a +17 or +18, leaving you with about a coin flip of success. I'd say it's useful, especially on something with a 18-20 crit range.

For the guy questioning a build for it, I'd say go rogue or ranger and take improved critical on whatever weapon you use (probably a rapier, scimitar or kukri). That way you can skip putting keen on your weapons since a +5 bonus is really expensive.

11. - Top - End - #11

It depends. A bad will save only gives you +6 at level 20. Throw in a +5 cloak and your at +11, need a 16 or better to make it. So a Wisdom of 22+ for a 50/50 shot.

A good will save is +12. Throw in a +5 cloak and your already at a 50/50 shot.

Since its a +5 enhancement that means a +6 weapon at a minimum. That costs 72,000 GP. At a quarter of WBL on a single item your looking at level level 17.

Thats a good will save of +10.

Vorpal is the only other SRD +5 weapon enhancement and it only functions 5% of the time.

It most assuredly has a use. I just don't think it's the best use of a +5 bonus.

Paralytic Burst is a +2 enhancement from MIC that does the same thing except with a DC 17 save.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    The problem is that you have to score a critical to actually get it going. Not worth it unless you've entirely focused on criticals.
    Actually, at the levels where it comes into play (17+) a melee character is most likely making 3+ attacks in a round. Even if we only go with a hit on a 20 that is one in 20 attacks, or every 7 rounds.

Get a weapon with a 19-20 critical and its even better odds. Go with a 18-20 weapon and either Keen or Improved Critical and your at 15-20. Or 1 in 4 attacks (assuming that you hit on a 15+).

A full BAB class shouldn't have much of a problem doing it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmph. Now I have an image of a fighter wielding a keen coup de grace rapier in one hand and a scythe in the other.

Too bad it's impossible.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really. You just need more hands than normal to pull that trick off. I recommend Dolgrim. Small, but 4 arms, DR, and no penalties for fighting with an offhand weapon. You'd even still have one arm available for a shield. Only LA +2
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2008-08-03 at 01:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I think you used to be able to do that in 3.0, the way monkey grip used to work.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Actually, at the levels where it comes into play (17+) a melee character is most likely making 3+ attacks in a round. Even if we only go with a hit on a 20 that is one in 20 attacks, or every 7 rounds.

Get a weapon with a 19-20 critical and its even better odds. Go with a 18-20 weapon and either Keen or Improved Critical and your at 15-20. Or 1 in 4 attacks (assuming that you hit on a 15+).

A full BAB class shouldn't have much of a problem doing it.
    Every seven rounds is NOT worth it for buying something that expensive. Furthermore, it doesn't work on quite a few significant creature types, and can be bypassed with a will save (which adds in more creatures that can resist).

It's a good ability if you work it right, but if you don't work it right you can buy other things that are better uses of your money (such as items that prevent your death, or kill things far more reliably by just making you deal more damage and hit more frequently EVERY TIME).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

That is every 7 rounds assuming a threat range of 20.

Note the 1-in-4 attacks with an 18-20 threat range and I. critical.

Which means just about every other round.

However, we probably ought to be looking at creature Will saves at the appropriate CR, not other PCs of equal level.

I doubt you would get this to work on a dragon very often, for example.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-08-03 at 01:38 PM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    That is every 7 rounds assuming a threat range of 20.

Note the 1-in-4 attacks with an 18-20 threat range and I. critical.

Which means just about every other round.

However, we probably ought to be looking at creature Will saves at the appropriate CR, not other PCs of equal level.

I doubt you would get this to work on a dragon very often, for example.
    Yes, which is why I said it may be worthwhile if you focus on criticals.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yeah, as I said. It could be useful, but it isn't really worth the +5 bonus. Paralytic burst could be (being only +2) but it only has a DC 17 save.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

Don't forget, a coup de grace isn't just an automatic critical. If the creature is subject to critical hits, they also have to make a fort save or die. When you preform a coup de grace, I mean, not just when the weapon goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Coup de Grace
    As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

Delivering a coup de grace provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents.

You can’t deliver a coup de grace against a creature that is immune to critical hits. You can deliver a coup de grace against a creature with total concealment, but doing this requires two consecutive full-round actions (one to "find" the creature once you’ve determined what square it’s in, and one to deliver the coup de grace).
    Last edited by Moriato; 2008-08-03 at 03:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

For the guy questioning a build for it, I'd say go rogue or ranger and take improved critical on whatever weapon you use (probably a rapier, scimitar or kukri). That way you can skip putting keen on your weapons since a +5 bonus is really expensive.
    Even better, just use a Scabbard of Keen Edges. Get the benefit from an item, without paying quadratically-scaling prices for it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Of course the real way to exploit this is through use of dual wielding high critical range weapons. 8 attacks with 15-20 critical rapiers every turn is going to paralyze someone, at which point you find your high crit weapon, and coup de gras.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, have 3 weapons.

Two wide-crit Rapiers. ~30% chance per hit that they crit. Throw lots of attacks out. Say 6 attacks, and 4 hits -- or an average of 1.2 attempts per round.

Once they crit and the target is paralyzed, you drop them and pull out your Scythe. It can have this power, or you can rely on the coup to kill the target.

Auto-crit for 4x damage, with some power attack thrown in. If the target is not immune to critical hits, they have to make a ridiculously high fort save, or die. And if they pass that, they still have to make a save against being paralyzed.