New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Psionics worth persisting

I'm playing an Ulitharid in a game right now, and I was wondering what psionic powers were worth persisting, as per the rules for Persistent Spell. The problem is my lack of familiarity with good powers. Typically I just spam augmented Dominates and Mindblasts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Psionics worth persisting

Since there is no way to cheese out a vanilla psionic persist that I know of, I can't think of any power worth it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Depending on the level the Erudite variant with the Spells to Power feat might be interesting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The standard example for abusing this is Timeless Body, which makes you immune to absolutely everything, but which normally only lasts for a single round. It's ninth-level, though, so you'd need to pull some shenanigans to apply a metapsionic feat to it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The standard example for abusing this is Timeless Body, which makes you immune to absolutely everything, but which normally only lasts for a single round. It's ninth-level, though, so you'd need to pull some shenanigans to apply a metapsionic feat to it.
    All you have to do is boost your ML to 21, get a torc of power preservation and the Earth Power feat (I believe that's its name). Assuming Persist Power is only +6 PP.

Now where are you finding Persist Power Cuddly? What book or dragon?
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Isn't it 2 power points per level though, so a Persist would be +12 power points?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    Isn't it 2 power points per level though, so a Persist would be +12 power points?
    Where is the feat? I can't find it in any of my books. At all the other psionci feats are just 1 to 1 with regards to the magic ones.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Persist Power does not exist in official WotC content to my knowledge.

Where equivalents exist between metapsionics and metamagic, the equivalent is 2 PP = 1 spell level, with the requirement to spend psionic focus counting as one level, though spending psionic focus does not reduce the cost below 2 PP. For example, Maximize Spell costs +3 spell levels and Maximize Power costs +4 PP and psionic focus; Twin Spell is +4, Twin Power is +6 and psionic focus; Empower Spell is +2, Empower Power is +2 and psionic focus; Quicken Spell is +4, Quicken Power is +6 and psionic focus; and so on.

Following this principle, a homebrewed Persist Power feat should require 10 additional power points and spending psionic focus.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2008-08-16 at 04:44 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Where is the feat? I can't find it in any of my books. At all the other psionci feats are just 1 to 1 with regards to the magic ones.
    They're not. Quicken Power, for example, is six PP, plus expending psionic focus. The usual formula is (spell level adjustment x2)-2, minimum 2.

That said, I don't think Wizards has ever printed Persistent Power. Hyperconscious has one, but rather than requiring you to expend psionic focus (which is essentially meaningless) it increases the cost by 12 and requires you to maintain psionic focus, or your persisted powers all end.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #10

So 10 PP then (or twelve). The first requires an ML of 25, the second 27.

There are only 2 ways to reduce the power point cost and each reduces by 1.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Persist Power does not exist in official WotC content to my knowledge.

Where equivalents exist between metapsionics and metamagic, the equivalent is 2 PP = 1 spell level, with the requirement to spend psionic focus counting as one level, though spending psionic focus does not reduce the cost below 2 PP. For example, Maximize Spell costs +3 spell levels and Maximize Power costs +4 PP and psionic focus; Twin Spell is +4, Twin Power is +6 and psionic focus; Empower Spell is +2, Empower Power is +2 and psionic focus; Quicken Spell is +4, Quicken Power is +6 and psionic focus; and so on.

Following this principle, a homebrewed Persist Power feat should require 10 additional power points and spending psionic focus.
    The problem with this is that it lets you Persist things a level higher than you could using the vanilla uncheesed magical Persist. Of course, this is true with all metapsionics, but for things that you cast in combat, trading off your arcane focus is a valid tradeoff because it takes time to recover. Outside of combat, it's not a tradeoff at all, and you're giving psionics a significant advantage for free.

(Not that it's that big of a deal; uncheesed persist isn't that great either way.)

...aren't there any other ways to boost your ML and bend/break the limit on power points you can spend?

I know! You could use Metaconcert! It doesn't list any limit on power points spent... nor does it tell you its manifester level, or whether it's actually possible for it to be psionically focused or what happens if it attempts to persist a power on itself or, well, anything.

Basically, I propose a new strategy: Announce that you're using Metaconcert. Then, when your DM is frantically flipping through the psionics books figuring out exactly what it does, steal all his other books and run away.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-08-16 at 05:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

The book is Ultimate Feats, from Mongoose Publishing, a supplementary rule book for 3.0. A persisted power costs +8 pp.
    Last edited by Cuddly; 2008-08-16 at 10:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Official WotC Persistent Power feat:
    http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msr...nsandFeats.rtf
    PERSISTENT POWER [METAPSIONIC]
    You make one of your powers last all day.
    Prerequisite: Extend Power.
    Benefit: A persistent power has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent power must have a personal range or a fixed range; you can’t use this feat on a power with a variable range, or on a power with an instantaneous duration. Note that you must concentrate on some powers to use their effects (for example, detect psionics and detect thoughts); concentration on such a power is an attack or move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A persistent power costs a number of power points equal to its standard cost +8.
    It will work on the 1-round duration Swift-action powers like Mental Barrier, which are definitely worth having up all day. Other powers like Force Screen, Biofeedback, Animal Affinity, Thicken Skin, and Defensive Precognition are also good to Persist. At level 20 with Overchannel and Metapower you can have Persistent Timeless Body up, and be immune to absolutely everything, including dispel attempts and the effects of a null psionics field.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    The book is Ultimate Feats, from Mongoose Publishing, a supplementary rule book for 3.0. A persisted power costs +8 pp.
    Then you need an ML of 23 to persist a 9th level power.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Official WotC Persistent Power feat:
    http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msr...nsandFeats.rtf

It will work on the 1-round duration Swift-action powers like Mental Barrier, which are definitely worth having up all day. Other powers like Force Screen, Biofeedback, Animal Affinity, Thicken Skin, and Defensive Precognition are also good to Persist. At level 20 with Overchannel and Metapower you can have Persistent Timeless Body up, and be immune to absolutely everything, including dispel attempts and the effects of a null psionics field.
    Oh god, only +8? That's rather broken.
    Adding to these, Intellect Fortress is also good, halves the damage taken by any allies within 20 ft of you, including ability damage.
    I think if you persist Synchronicity a few times you pretty much get a cheap contingent celerity kind of effect, if you augment it, you can just take an standard action anytime, anywhere. You can repeatedly cast it too, if you're bored, so that once a battle starts you can go nova with all your powers at the same time. I'm not sure if this works RAW though.
    Sig'd

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

That might be a bit overpowered.

One clever thing I can think to do with it is to persist Greater Concealing Amorpha, which will grant you total concealment at all times. Among other things, this means it's impossible to make attacks of opportunity against you (ever), and you can't be targeted by spells that specifically target individuals (you can still be hit by a ray, but you'll get the 50% miss chance.) And, oh yes, that reminds me: everything has a 50% chance of missing you. This costs you all of 13 power points and can be done at 13th level.

Schism is the obvious one for extra actions.

If you have anything that increases your ML even by 1 or lets you break your power-point limit by that much, you could also persist Fission pre-epic and be two people all day long, basically doubling your actions.

Also note that unlike Time Stop, Temporal Acceleration's duration is specifically given in apparent time to you. This means that unless I'm missing something, if you psionically persist it (which you can do pre-epic with no tricks or cheese) then you get 24 hours worth of actions in a single instant, with no arguments.

(In retrospect, part of what breaks this is that unlike with spellcasting, bonuses to your manifester level increase what you can persist; extra CL doesn't grant you access higher-level spell slots, but extra ML basically does just that, at least as far as metapsionics are concerned.)

17. - Top - End - #17

Yeah, but the only real way to up your ML is with Overchannel.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Whoops. Well, you can persist 7th-level powers with a Torc Of Power Preservation, at least. I forgot about that one for a second.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Whoops. Well, you can persist 7th-level powers with a Torc Of Power Preservation, at least. I forgot about that one for a second.
    Yeah, and Earth Sense+Earth Power for another 1 point off the cost. Then throw on Overchannel to pick up the +3 ML.

But Timeless Body is the last thing you persist.

Get True Metabolism first, you heal 10 points per round.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

But Timeless Body is the last thing you persist.

Get True Metabolism first, you heal 10 points per round.
    10 points of what? When you're completely immune to everything, you're not likely to be taking any damage.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    So 10 PP then (or twelve). The first requires an ML of 25, the second 27.

There are only 2 ways to reduce the power point cost and each reduces by 1.
    There's no magic/psionic transparency for Easy Metamagic?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Doesn't Wild Surge count towards ML?
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-08-17 at 01:03 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    10 points of what? When you're completely immune to everything, you're not likely to be taking any damage.
    The 5d8 you took to use Overchannel to get your manifester level up high enough (Okay, you also used Earth Sense, Earth Power, AND a Torc of Power Preservation, but still....) to persist Timeless Body, I imagine.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

A level 19 Wilder has Wild Surge +6. This can get him/her a manifester level of 25.

Assuming that persist would have a PP cost of +8, a 19th level Wilder could do it out of the box. The 30% chance of psychic enervation would be negated by the Timeless body, so we're good there.

Add in Earth Sense + Earth Power, and a Torc of Power Preservation, and you could do it, even if the cost was +10.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-08-17 at 11:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I already mentioned the feat Metapower (CP), but everyone must have missed it. It decreases the metamagic cost by 2 powerpoints for one specific power, therefore Psion 20 with Overchannel and Metapower: Persistent Timeless Body can cast it without relying on any other shenanigans.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    I already mentioned the feat Metapower (CP), but everyone must have missed it. It decreases the metamagic cost by 2 powerpoints for one specific power, therefore Psion 20 with Overchannel and Metapower: Persistent Timeless Body can cast it without relying on any other shenanigans.
    Excellent post. Personally I like to see the various approaches to achieve a desired result in game and use the one that works best for me. Sometimes there is a source book limit or I want to use the feats on something else. Perhaps using the Educated Wilder Variant is plenty of powers for a PC particularly in a Gestalt game (Imagine the Gestalt Game using a Spells to Power Erudite cherry picking powers and spells from all lists and using Wild Surge to bump up ML (the Erudite could pick up an additional +2 WS from pursuing Anarchic Initiate for 7 levels).
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-08-17 at 05:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Ok, so an 18 wilder can get metapower: Timeless body.

Now, Persist only requires 6 pp. Total Manifester level Required: 24.

Wild Surge +5 = 23.

Torc of Power Preservation finishes it of, or, if your dm ain't so generous with items, Earth Sense + Earth Power.

Now, at the level the class gains access to 9th level magic, it can Persist it.

28. - Top - End - #28

What about the +1 manifester level ioun stone?

Timeless body for the best defense, schism for actions, greater concealing amorpha, Tower of iron will or power resistance and biofeedback if you aren't high enough level for timeless body,
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    I'm playing an Ulitharid in a game right now, and I was wondering what psionic powers were worth persisting, as per the rules for Persistent Spell. The problem is my lack of familiarity with good powers. Typically I just spam augmented Dominates and Mindblasts.

Probably should have asked this earlier with +9LA. What and how many PC levels? Is it a Gestalt game?
    Stolen from Bayar

My PC likes hamburgers but prefers cheeseburgers. Any LG Paladin should Wish for a CG Candle of Invocation to Summon a Noble Djinni or a Solar. Pazuzu probably amused at a lowly Paladin having a Demon Lord grant him a Wish to command a Solar to grant a Wish for something like Summoning a Noble Djinni for more wishes of questionable purposes. Gate spell doesn't cause creature to forget.