New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 4E: How do you visualise powers working?

It occured to me during my last 4E gaming session to wonder how some of the class powers would play out if you were roleplaying them. I'm playing with a warlord which has some, odd powers in combat if you think about it.

Hammer and tongs: You make an attack roll against an enemy and, if it hits, an ally next to the enemy gets a free melee attack against them as well. So basically you hit the enemy and one of your allies either goes "That looks like fun, I'll have a swing as well" or "No, no, this is how you hit someone".

Inspiring word: Lets self/ally spend a healing surge and get an extra 1d6 HP back as well. Since the warlord doesn't actually use magic, basically he is saying "Suck it up you wuss".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 4E: How do you visualise powers working?

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Hammer and tongs: You make an attack roll against an enemy and, if it hits, an ally next to the enemy gets a free melee attack against them as well. So basically you hit the enemy and one of your allies either goes "That looks like fun, I'll have a swing as well" or "No, no, this is how you hit someone".
    actually, since in d&d, it assumes that your constantly striking and parrying, and the attack roll just represents a possible hit, i would assume that power just creates an additional opening for that ally
    Turn undead!
    Bolster undead!
    Stab undead!

Credit to Nathan for the Stephen Colbert avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Inspiring word: Lets self/ally spend a healing surge and get an extra 1d6 HP back as well. Since the warlord doesn't actually use magic, basically he is saying "Suck it up you wuss".
    Isn't it great?

Yes, the Warlord's healing powers all revolve around him shouting at people, except for the ones that involve him smacking them around until they wake up. He's just a big, angry man and you'd better not wuss out on him.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You never hit someone because someone else's hit looked fun?

I am currently kicking my cousin because my other cousin is having too much fun kicking him.

Inspiring word can go from an insult to a cheer to when that person you like asks if you're hurt and you're like "Nah. That didn't hurt." and play it off.

My group has 2 warlords. One's the cute girl no one wants to look bad in front off. The the other is her big angry sister who curses at you.
    Last edited by Orzel; 2008-08-18 at 08:56 PM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

All I can think of is Batman Forever. "Hey, Two-Face, show me how to punch a guy!"
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

I like Leaf on the Wind with a ranged weapon. I'm thinking a pole-vault and a push.
    Now with half the calories!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Generally, the short descriptions in the PHB are pretty useful.

Warlord powers tend to have some of the effects that are "hardest" to RP, so here goes...

Inspiring word - "I shout 'No surrender! No quarter!', and Bob feels the strength return to his sword-arm."
    Furious smash - "I roar and strike the goblin skullcleaver, inspiring Bob to join me in the attack!"
    Wolf pack tactics - "I attack the goblin warrior, distracting it so Bob can shift out of the fray."
    Hammer and anvil - "I move in to attack with Bob, hitting the goblin hexer from both sides!"
    White raven onslaught - "I strike down the goblin blackblade, leading everyone forward to crush the remaining enemies!"

For Warlords, specifically, Aragorn's and Theoden's melodramatic speeches in LOTR are a great example of using your powers. "A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Death!" That's iron dragon charge all over. Just cut them down to one sentence or so: just "Stand, Men of the West!" (Renew the troops.)

There's endless ways to RP each power, depending mostly on the style and flavor of your character. Maybe your Warlord has a more personal touch, forming a close bond with each companion, and inspiring them personally with his confidence in them and their admiration of him (Rikk from Fans!). Maybe your Warlord coldly shouts instructions and orders, but his allies know that only by obeying him are they assured victory, and that death at the hands of the enemy may very well follow if they ignore his words. Or maybe your Warlord drives his "allies" with cruel words, threats, curses, insults, and a whip, fanning their anger and directing it against the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    I like Leaf on the Wind with a ranged weapon. I'm thinking a pole-vault and a push.
    That'd be impressive, considering it's a melee weapon power. (It's ridiculous enough when you, for instance, use it to stab an enemy through a window.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Isn't it great?

Yes, the Warlord's healing powers all revolve around him shouting at people, except for the ones that involve him smacking them around until they wake up. He's just a big, angry man and you'd better not wuss out on him.
    Ah, the healing powers of yelling. See, Mom? I've been helping my rat-faced lil' sister all these years!

Yeah, I like the "you open up another opportunity" idea for the extra strike. Personally I'd like to know about shifting spaces' justification for goblins and such. Are they just jumpy little guys?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

...This discussion just makes me want to play a 4e Warlord more than I did already.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzbaa View Post
    ...This discussion just makes me want to play a 4e Warlord more than I did already.
    It really is the coolest class, hands down. Nobody's more of a Hero than the Warlord.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I see Hammer and Tongs as the Warlord striking in a way that pins the opponent, opening an attack for his friend.
    "Four exclamation points; the true sign of a Mad Man." -Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthedust View Post
    Personally I'd like to know about shifting spaces' justification for goblins and such. Are they just jumpy little guys?
    No, goblins are shifty - it's in their power name! It helps if you imagine them as Forest Imps and they cackle every time they shift.

Other great powers: Cleave with a Polearm. Not that it's hard to imagine, but I just like thinking of my Eladrin Spearmistress jabbing some guy 5 feet away and then whacking an adjacent mook with the spearbutt. It just makes me smile almost as much as Shake It Off - where the Warlord yells at someone to make them make a saving throw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rogue: Ow! The Hexer's Stinging Curse is going to slap me if I take a step!
    Warlord: Don't be such a baby! Is little roguey going to cry because the big-bad goblin scared him? Oooo, let's all run and hide because the scaaaaary goblin is going to use his mojo on us!
    Rogue: *saves* Jeez, you don't have to be such a jerk. I'm going to cut your throat when this is over with...
    Warlord: What was that, nancy-boy?
    Wizard: Don't mind the Rogue, he's just Unaligned.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-08-18 at 10:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    For Warlords, specifically, Aragorn's and Theoden's melodramatic speeches in LOTR are a great example of using your powers. "A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Death!" That's iron dragon charge all over.
    But the second half, at least, is Eomer's speech. (That old ham Theoden stole a lot of Eomer's best lines for the movies.:))

That'd be impressive, considering it's a melee weapon power. (It's ridiculous enough when you, for instance, use it to stab an enemy through a window.)
    I'm sure he meant reach weapon. Though using Leaf on the Wind with an actual ranged weapon would be pretty awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It really is the coolest class, hands down. Nobody's more of a Hero than the Warlord.
    Yeah, except the warlord tends not to benefit from their own powers as often. Most of their abilities are aimed at making allies fight better.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

No, goblins are shifty - it's in their power name! It helps if you imagine them as Forest Imps and they cackle every time they shift.
    It's kobolds who are shifty. Goblins use goblin tactics.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Funny. The warlord in my group is a goblin.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    I see Hammer and Tongs as the Warlord striking in a way that pins the opponent, opening an attack for his friend.
    Yes, but in theory you could have a 6 person party with 5 people as warlords (or even all 6). The first five hit a monster with hammer and tongs and the sixth one keeps making their own attack after each success. So that's 5 extra attacks, and then their own set of actions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    It's kobolds who are shifty. Goblins use goblin tactics.
    And their tactics are shifty. See, I always tell people that goblins are far sneakier than kobolds, but do they listen to me? Noooooo

Other nice ones including Blinding Flurry when using a Hand Crossbow. I can't help but imagining a halfling quick-drawing a hand crossbow and then diving over a table while firing bolts in bullet time.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Yeah, except the warlord tends not to benefit from their own powers as often. Most of their abilities are aimed at making allies fight better.
    Oh no :P End of the world.

I like the idea of indirectly winning fights for my group!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't it great?

Man, that makes me want to play a Warlord like Sarge from Red vs. Blue.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking about RPing using Inspiring Word on a dying character and I couldn't help imagining warlord kicking a lying, bleeding fighter in the guts shouting "Stand up, you wuss or I'll have you clean the toilets with your own toothbrush, you lousy runt!".
    Another one would be Thicket of Blades with a spear, something that occured to me when I was trying to make level 9 bugbear spear-using fighter. It's described as a series of fast slashes at enemies' legs, which is kind of hard to do with a spear.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-08-19 at 05:28 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Isn't it great?

Inspired by the game "Goad the Fierce Man" from the first episode of Father Ted.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Another one would be Thicket of Blades with a spear, something that occured to me when I was trying to make level 9 bugbear spear-using fighter. It's described as a series of fast slashes at enemies' legs, which is kind of hard to do with a spear.
    It is even harder to do on enemies without legs, but that don't stop it from working. :)
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    I was thinking about RPing using Inspiring Word on a dying character and I couldn't help imagining warlord kicking a lying, bleeding fighter in the guts shouting "Stand up, you wuss or I'll have you clean the toilets with your own toothbrush, you lousy runt!".
    That's exactly how it works. In fact, the warlord doesn't even have to be near the dying character; he just shouts at him really hard and the dying guy wakes up. :P

That said, I usually don't try too hard to visualise powers in 4e. They're designed as game mechanics first, representation second, and I find the game flows faster if you don't try too hard to work out what's supposed to be happening.

Often they can be pretty funny, though. Like the "Hammer and Tongs" power fits perfectly if you're assuming Terry Pratchett mechanics. :)

Rincewind: "Ow!"
    First thief: "No, no, no! What do you call that?"
    Second thief: (mumble mumble)
    First thief: "Speak up."
    Second thief: "Overarm Belter, Mr Boggins."
    First thief: "You call that an Overarm Belter? This - sorry sir, we'll have you on your feet in just a moment - this is an Overarm Belter."
    First thief: "Now, what you did was - sorry to impose, sir, this won't take a minute - what you did was this."
    First thief: "Got that? Now you try."
    First thief: "No, no, no. Look, let's start from the beginning . . ."

- Saph
    Last edited by Saph; 2008-08-19 at 06:17 AM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I like the ranger utility power Crucial Advice.

"Hey guy, don't do it like that. Do it like this"
    "Thanks ranger you really are helpful! ... Bloody know it all... let's not talk to him for the next 10 minutes."

Once per encounter indeed. Someone else pointed that out on these boards before me.

Then there's the two warlords that stand next to each other adjacent to an enemy.

"You! Attack him!"
    "Ok!" Bop! "Now you attack him!"
    "Ok!" Bop! "You should attack him now!"
    "Ok!" Bop! "Why don't we just both attack him?"
    "No. That's stupid, we lose a +int! You attack him!"
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Modern (4E) warfare mostly consists of a single high level Ranger and a troupe of cheerleaders Warlords shifting him around at high speeds and causing him to fire at the rate of a machine gun.

The day someone explains to me how the hell does Own the Battlefield works I'll gladly change my opinions, but so far it seems like trying to apply logic to 4E is like attempting to divide by zero.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    how the hell does Own the Battlefield works

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Its works by magic awesomeness.

What I want to know is how Warlords can make people recover form injury induced unconsciousness just by yelling at them a lot.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say, nobody's more of a leader than the warlord. He's like a pumped up, magicless bard.
    Sounds loads of fun if you like to be the tactical mastermind in the battlefield. I may try one after playing my paladin.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wodan46 View Post
    What I want to know is how Warlords can make people recover form injury induced unconsciousness just by yelling at them a lot.
    Dwarven Fighter, unconscious on the floor: "...."
    Dwarven Warlord, kneeling next to his compadre: "Oy! 'Ere's free mug o' ale if'n yer t'be wakin' up, laddy!"