New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Pixel Art Avatar

How's the dithering on the face? Does the gradient dithering look good? Critique/comments plz.
    Hoist the Colours High!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The king and his men
    stole the queen from her bed
    and bound her in her Bones.
    The seas be ours
    and by the powers
    where we will we'll roam.

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high.
    Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
    never say we die.

Don't you dare click the period.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pixel Art Avatar

I personally think it looks outstanding. 8) I will approach this as if I wanted 'critqued/comments' which means there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that I feel is missing/could be improved.

The jaw and cheek - very nice work but they seem to be the promonent features so my eye was draw there first. So I noticed what seemed to be a darker pixel than others at the bottom of the chin just under the left end of the mouth ~ again nothing major and hardly noticable. ;)

The other thing that caught 'my eye' was the 'eye'. The 'dithering' as you call it (I'm assuming this is shading) on the rest of the face is of such a quality that the eye appears flat in comparison. Wouldn't know how to 'fix' it, maybe some shading between the eye-brow and eye to set it in?

Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned it is an outstanding job IMHO as a non-artist. Just trying to be helpful.

EDIT: I have to re-iterate that if I just looked at it without you asking for a critique I would have immediately said 10/10. When someone asks for feedback ppl look with a VERY fine toothed comb. I would still give it 9.8-9.9 after doing so.
    Guess I am trying to re-enforce that I am in no way being negative. It's so hard to convey emotion on a forum :-/ Sorry.
    Omen Darkwoods Best Free RPG System Ever!! <--- TAKE A LEAP AND CLICK!! Portfolio

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Pixel Art Avatar

Yeah. That why I'm waiting a thousand years for virtually simulated 'rooms' that you chat with virtual avatars.

Thanks for the advice. This definately is nothing compared to other pixel artist's work out there.
    Hoist the Colours High!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The king and his men
    stole the queen from her bed
    and bound her in her Bones.
    The seas be ours
    and by the powers
    where we will we'll roam.

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high.
    Heave ho, thieves and beggars,