New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The art of being a-were

I figured this was as good a place as any to ask this question...

I had a thought the other day, and I wondered... if Lycanthopy is the adjective for being a were-creature, then what would the were creature itself be called if in the same vein? Lycanthope? Lycanthoper? Lycanthopist? I need help here!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The art of being a-were

It's Lycanthope (I've read a lot about the subject).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drengnikrafe View Post
    I figured this was as good a place as any to ask this question...

I had a thought the other day, and I wondered... if Lycanthopy is the adjective for being a were-creature, then what would the were creature itself be called if in the same vein? Lycanthope? Lycanthoper? Lycanthopist? I need help here!
    A Lycanthrope is technically a werewolf. A Therianthrope is a were-something, with the condition being called Therianthropy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Depends on the degree and method of shapechanging.

There are Hengeyokai animals capable of shapechanging into humanoids from Oriental Adventures.

There is the Jackalwere from the Fiend Folio
    Stolen from Bayar

My PC likes hamburgers but prefers cheeseburgers. Any LG Paladin should Wish for a CG Candle of Invocation to Summon a Noble Djinni or a Solar. Pazuzu probably amused at a lowly Paladin having a Demon Lord grant him a Wish to command a Solar to grant a Wish for something like Summoning a Noble Djinni for more wishes of questionable purposes. Gate spell doesn't cause creature to forget.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Lycanthropy is a noun, and it's the condition, as in "Your character has been afflicted by lycanthropy. Give me your sheet!"
    Lycanthrope is a noun, and it's the creature. It means precisely "wolfman". (Lycos=wolf, anthropos=human)
    Lycanthropic would be the adjective, as in "a lycanthropic plague is spreading!"

For animals other than wolf, using the were- prefix is just fine.
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-08-29 at 06:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

So a werebear would be an ursatrope? Wait - thropos looks like Greek to me. Is ursa Greek or Latin? I can never keep the classical languages that I haven't studied straight.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    A Lycanthrope is technically a werewolf. A Therianthrope is a were-something, with the condition being called Therianthropy.
    hmm, that still assumes that it's a human that's afflicted.

I've seen theriomorph/theriomorphic/theriomorphy used as more generic term.
    Kungaloosh!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    So a werebear would be an ursatrope? Wait - thropos looks like Greek to me. Is ursa Greek or Latin? I can never keep the classical languages that I haven't studied straight.
    A werebear would be a werebear. Ursa is latin for bear and anthropos is greek for human, so I wouldn't make a word out of those two.

[If you want to fool around, the wolf in latin is lupus, and man is homo. As for greek, combining the words arktos (for bear) and anthropos (for human) produces arktanthrope, which can't be pronounced by a sane human being, methinks.]

Therion is greek for beast or monster, so therianthrope would be a beastman. Hmmm...
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-08-29 at 11:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    [If you want to fool around, the wolf in latin is lupus, and man is homo. As for greek, combining the words arktos (for bear) and anthropos (for human) produces arktanthrope, which can't be pronounced by a sane human being, methinks.]
    I pronounced it.

Oh, wait...
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    That's etymologically correct but philologically incorrect. :)

Of course the issue is muddied by the small but vocal subgroup of the furry fandom trying to get everyone to use the term "therianthrope" as you do above. And hey, y'know, whatever, language is a living thing and should evolve. But still, even among most geeks (and especially in RPG's, not just DnD) lycanthropy is the general term for that whole turning-into-an-animal thing.

And anyway, to answer the OP:

What do you call a man who can turn into an eight-foot clawed man-beast and tear your arms off? Whatever he wants you to call him.