Dwarf in the Playground

Default Advertising via PM?

Alright, I have a question. I just got the following PM in my inbox:

Author Topic
    iamkoolerthanu
    Ogre in the Playground

Your enemies enemy is your freind.

(No subject) on: Today at 12:46am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, I think you're pretty cool. I would like a cool person like you to join this:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/The_Town/index.php?act=idx

Thanks!
    I understand that people have the opportunity to recruit to other related sites using one thread, as per the posting rules. Is PMing individual members and soliciting them legit as well?

Frankly, that's somewhat annoying. I get enough spam in my email account without getting it in my PM box here on the boards as well. :P

I'm gone - permanently! If you want me for anything, use the link to my email...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Advertising via PM?

Yeah, I got it too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Ditto... I joined...
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I get this sinking feeling it's being sent on a program, because I got one too, and I just joined the board.
    Really, it\'s just a coincidence.&&&&Despite what you may think, you haven\'t seen me before. Don\'t be silly. What bard? Ramza? Who on Earth is that?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

And what, if for some reason, he just thought you were good players and wanted you to join? It's best to do this via PM rather than slander him.

I had a similar experience with someone else, once, sending me a PM that seemed rather random and spam-like. Since it was only one the mod I'd asked about it said it wasn't considered spam. If he PMed me more than once then it might be considered as such. I'd thought maybe he PMed multiple people, however, and that wasn't the case.

Of course, that wasn't the only time I've had PMs like this. I told the next person to not PM me like that again and he'd responded rather rudely with "yea, well, I got more than enough people already, anyway" and a bit more.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is you can't expect no spam via PM, but it's best to PM it to a moderator rather than slander someone that might just like you and want you to be part of his group.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did consider that Wukei, however, there were a couple of reasons I chose this route:

a) I have no interaction with this person in any other thread on the board, right now or in the past.

b) The invitation was for an private offsite link.

c) Despite my obvious coolness, I'm not nearly the veteran face or highly reputable poster that you are Wukei, ;) To date I have never received a random invitation such as this, even from someone I do have a relationship with on this board.

Add to those the fact that other people have also gotten the random ads...well.

I know the mods prefer to keep things nice and quiet around here, and deal with such matters through PM, but I had a suspicion that I wasn't the only one, and this confirms it.

Still, I am not really looking to "slander" anyone's name, and it's only slander if you deliver a false report about someone, which is not the case here.
    But if a public apology is in order, I'm certainly prepared to give one out. As of right now though, its not looking like that's going to be the case.

I'm gone - permanently! If you want me for anything, use the link to my email...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I really do wish things like this would be private rather than public.

I sent a message to the user telling him to stop.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I got the message as well. I deleted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    I really do wish things like this would be private rather than public.

I sent a message to the user telling him to stop.
    Thank you, RawBear. I've been restraining myself from flaming the living hell out of that little bugger. He's sitting there in the town directory promoting his town.
    I still bear the marks of the old Legion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I got it to... and ive never met him...
    I joined the Roy Fan Club and all I got was this lousy smiley.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taruk Dark-Wind, Half-Orc Barbarian/Monk by Tired N' Drowzy
    Spoiler
    Show
    HOMM V Knight by Tomb Raven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Knight done up by Ink